If he didn't make them, people wouldn't even say most Shyamalan movies had a twist

Comments

• was there a twist in Airbender?

i didnt see the whole thing
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    naney said:

was there a twist in Airbender?

i didnt see the whole thing

the twist was that it was a massive waste of time
  • it's not a twist if it is patently obvious from within the first 5 minutes
  • kill living beings
    the film of his i've seen all the way through is the village

so
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Signs: No game-changing twist

Lady In The Water: No game-changing twist

The Happening: No game-changing twist

The Last Airbender: No game-changing twist

Devil: No game-changing twist

After Earth: No game-changing twist

The Visit: No game-changing twist.

That is most of the movies he's made at this poin.
  • Odradek said:

Signs: The aliens were completely fucking stupid all along!

The Happening: You could outrun air and stop it with shitty wooden doors all along!

The Last Airbender: I guess some of the overblown bending dances vaguely resembled The Twist.
    Not game-changing.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    lady in the water's twist was that the most important person in the world is actually the author insert
    Odradek said:

Not game-changing.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    why does it have to be game-changing?
    Because that's what people mean when they say Shyamalan twist.

Otherwise people are acting like twists on the level of "The force exists and Luke uses it to blow up the death star" are something only he does.
    that's not a twist at all.
    are you trying to defend one of our most sacred punching bags?
    are you trying to defend one of our most sacred punching bags?

• Odradek said:

Because that's what people mean when they say Shyamalan twist.

Otherwise people are acting like twists on the level of "The force exists and Luke uses it to blow up the death star" are something only he does.

that's not a twist at all.

• or have you known people who have disappeared into thin air upon death
  • i think the reason that people rag on Shyamalan is less that he's a bad director (which he is, mind you) and more because his last name is non-European, and therefore, "funny".
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    It doesn’t help that The Sixth Sense feels like the epitome of something that worked on shock appeal when it first came out but just hasn’t aged well since.
  • i think the reason that people rag on Shyamalan is less that he's a bad director (which he is, mind you) and more because his last name is non-European, and therefore, "funny".

Nnnnot really. Quentin Tarantino's last name gets made fun of a lot too.
  • Acererak said:

i think the reason that people rag on Shyamalan is less that he's a bad director (which he is, mind you) and more because his last name is non-European, and therefore, "funny".

I have never heard anyone make fun of Tarantino's last name.

I have heard "M Night Schlamadamadingdong" like 30,000 times in my life.

Acererak said:

i think the reason that people rag on Shyamalan is less that he's a bad director (which he is, mind you) and more because his last name is non-European, and therefore, "funny".

I have never heard anyone make fun of Tarantino's last name.

Acererak said:

Acererak said:

I have heard BoJack Horseman, and nobody else, make fun of Tarantino's last name.

fixed for my personal experience
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

It doesn’t help that The Sixth Sense feels like the epitome of something that worked on shock appeal when it first came out but just hasn’t aged well since.

The thing about Sixth Sense is it's, well, a one-trick pony. If you already know the twist--which at this point we all do--it loses its one and only gimmick.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I don't.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Crystal said:

I don't.

That genuinely surprises me, since it seems to be up there with "Darth Vader is Luke's father" in terms of twists that have become common knowledge

• M night shyamalan has never made a good movie, they range from "mediocre" to "god awful", and no people expressing their subconscious racism through mocking his last name are ever going to change that
    Central Avenue said: Crystal said:I don't. That genuinely surprises me, since it seems to be up there with "Darth Vader is Luke's father" in terms of twists that have become common knowledge

same.  Actually, I suspect you might know it without knowing it's related to
    The Sixth Sense.
    naney said:

M night shyamalan has never made a good movie, they range from "mediocre" to "god awful", and no people expressing their subconscious racism through mocking his last name are ever going to change that

Okay
    odradek can you just skip ahead and tell the story about how jjba spoiled the sixth sense to half of japan
    I liked the part of the Village before the twist.

*naney swoops in to be pointlessly contrarian again*
  • no that was good
  • but the twist fucked it
  • also Signs was probably good but I am soured on it because during a drinking binge my mom watched it like 50,000 times and made us all watch it too

same wrt Bridget Jones's Diary
  • because you are drunk and want to have "fun" with your kids obvs
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-16 17:09:13
    I assure you, your experience with Signs would probably be improved greatly by alcohol, with best results occurring when you pass out and all the poor schmucks who are still awake draw crop circles on your face in revenge.
  • I have a confession to make - the only Shyamalan movie I've ever watched is After Earth.
    Acererak said:

I have a confession to make - the only Shyamalan movie I've ever watched is After Earth.

i've heard shyamalan is actually the least bad part of that movie really
  • Yeah, it was mockable because it was one big-budget Will Smith vanity project.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't think that finding foreign-sounding words funny is racist

it's an insensitive thing to make fun of but the humour derives from the unfamiliar syllables and the absence of apparent meaning
  • edited 2015-09-16 17:35:34
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Also, i'm slightly annoyed that i know the twist from The Sixth Sense

spoilers are stolen experiences, knowing twists in advance does not ruin a good film, but being surprised by a well-foreshadowed twist is one of the most emotionally satisfying experiences for me as a viewer

When i say well-foreshadowed i really mean consistent with everything prior, it should be sufficiently telegraphed that someone might spot it, but not so well telegraphed that everyone will
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh, so that's what the twist is. It sounds vaguely familiar, definitely heard it at least once. It doesn't strike me as very twisty, for some reason.

Gonna keep watching the movie though.
    Tachyon said:

i don't think that finding foreign-sounding words funny is racist

it's an insensitive thing to make fun of but the humour derives from the unfamiliar syllables and the absence of apparent meaning

Okay, but he just randomly decided his middle name should be "Night"

And people give him a pass

because they want to make "hahah foreign names are funny" jokes
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Point.

It could be racism, i guess.  Never thought of it as such, though.
  • I don't think most people know he chose his own middle name, because that isn't something that usually happens

knowing that it is kinda funny
    Brian Raven DePalma's "Carrie"

Alfred Haunting Hitchcock's "Psycho"

Stanley StanIsTheMan Kubrick's "The Shining"