I find Quality TV™ uninteresting and prone to formula

I feel like that's bad

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    many things are bad, but if Quality TV doesn't appeal to you then I suggest not watching it.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I feel like I'm being bad

I'd much rather watch one of the Cartoon Cartoons than anything on HBO
    I saw some of The Sopranos several months ago and to me it seemed like an endless series of awful things happening to awful people

And Sex and the City seems like it's for rich New Yorkers
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Stop finding reasons to beat up on yourself.
    Those put HBO on the map is what I'm saying
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can't name anyone here who actually watches Quality TV™, Sredni aside.

You're worrying way too much about this.
    I wish he were here
    One of the Quality shows that actually DOES seem interesting to me is Orange is the New Black
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-08-29 21:59:57
    I really can't appreciate shows like Sopranos, Breaking Bad, or GOT.  I appreciate that they've got rich, complex stories, but they seem too determined to thoroughly prevent me from liking and thus emotionally investing in pretty much any given character.  There's not much point to watching a show if I can't do that.

I don't even know what people found appealing about Sex and the City.  I can't really think of any redeeming qualities it has whatsoever.
  • They're two very different kinds of shows.

I'm pretty sure Sex & The City was never critically acclaimed. It's one of those things everyone claims to hate yet does extremely well for itself.
  • I'm not sure which of the things I watch count as "Quality TV"

Maybe NCIS or Downton Abbey? I dunno.

I mostly watch reruns of 90's sitcoms (namely Friends and Seinfeld, though when I can find it I love Home Improvement), cartoons (a variety here; "adult" cartoons like South Park as well as MLP:FiM, Steven Universe, and Adventure Time), and cooking shows.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I really do not care for this label.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Anonus, who is it that's pressuring you to like those shows?
  • Anonus said:I'd much rather watch one of the Cartoon Cartoons than anything on HBO

I'm in this same boat, save for maybe
    Last Week Tonight.

There's no reason to feel shame for liking the stuff you do and not particularly caring for other stuff, even if that other stuff is popular.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Who is it that's pressuring you to like TV at all?
  • I don't even get any of the premium channels, though I do have cable.

I'm watching Seinfeld reruns right now.

"Quality"? Who cares,  it's funny.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Adam Kotsko
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i liked what of breaking bad i saw, but probably won't watch more because i was watching with my dad and sister but my mom doesn't want to watch because she had cancer
  • Breaking Bad is one of those shows I think I would like watching but it's kinda too soon after my mom dying of cancer for me to want to watch it.
  • Yeah I'd have a bit of awkwardness about watching it for long anyway, since both my sister and her husband are teachers and their financial security is (as is the norm for teachers in the US) prone to catastrophe.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-08-30 03:09:11

Anonus said:

I saw some of The Sopranos several months ago and to me it seemed like an endless series of awful things happening to awful people

Bee said:

I really can't appreciate shows like Sopranos, Breaking Bad, or GOT.  I appreciate that they've got rich, complex stories, but they seem too determined to thoroughly prevent me from liking and thus emotionally investing in pretty much any given character.  There's not much point to watching a show if I can't do that.

These are more or less the main reasons why I am not all that interested in cable dramas. Based on watching Chip Cheezum's Let's Play of the game, it sounds like Watch Dogs is pretty similar in having tons of unlikable characters, so I wonder if that is just the popular thing to do these days. Granted, I have seen a lot more criticism of Watch Dogs than of stuff like Breaking Bad, GOT, House of Cards, etc., so maybe that is not a totally fair comparison.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-08-30 03:53:08
    Watch Dogs falls into sort of the same sub-category of that as GTA.  Everyone's an asshole, but you can dick around between story segments to cool down the asshole overload (have fun with that one, Google Ads!).

It helps that the gameplay itself is fun.
  • edited 2015-08-30 06:00:02
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Vriska said:

I'm not sure which of the things I watch count as "Quality TV"

Maybe NCIS or Downton Abbey? I dunno.

I mostly watch reruns of 90's sitcoms (namely Friends and Seinfeld, though when I can find it I love Home Improvement), cartoons (a variety here; "adult" cartoons like South Park as well as MLP:FiM, Steven Universe, and Adventure Time), and cooking shows.
    Critics are at best indifferent towards NCIS
    MetaFour said:

Nobody but myself
  • edited 2015-08-30 06:27:43
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

MetaFour said:

Nobody but myself
    Then why are you pressuring yourself about this?
    I don't know!