Things that were omnipresent on TvTropes that you never saw or read or played

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    GMH I'm not sure your list counts, because you are GMH.
    In Metal Gear Solid 3, one of your support people is a huge movie fan, and will often tell you about movies she's seen or liked.

And every time she does, Snake will always say he hasn't seen it, no matter what the movie. King Kong, Citizen Kane, Invasion Of The Venusians, none of it.

And I always thought that was weird, but now I realize he is just GMH.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I was actually pretty cold towards Evangelion and Homestuck back when I was still interested in TV Tropes. I preferred FLCL and Problem Sleuth a good deal more.

I now quite like both Evangelion and Homestuck, and am willing to accept them as equals, if not betters, to the latter media.

In retrospect, I don't think I was old enough to fully appreciate the former on the same level as the latter back then.
  • Odradek said:

good point
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i was somewhat cold towards a number of things i got into via TVT before i got into them
  • kill living beings
    you know the op doesn't say anything about them being bad

but they probably were, let's be real here

everyone else on TVT liked them and wouldn't shut up about them, therefore they must be utter shit

my logic is flawless
    I think the whole site might have burned down if I told the TvT thread that TvTropes was largely positive towards Red Letter Media.

But the TvT thread is no longer up, so that threat to Lowtax's wallet is past.
    Odradek said:

I didn't watch Evangelion or read Homestuck very much because I had a deep suspicion that they were overrated based on what I had watched/read and heard about them in general.

Ergo, I'm technically still on-topic. :P
    i wasn't actually making fun of SA there, just a rather silly tendency i have that i notice a lot of other people seem to have

some people take it further than others
  • remember when there was that controversy with people accusing Twoflower (the troper not the Discworld character) of promoting Sailor Nothing on the wiki
    i kinda wish Sailor Nothing was a thing that was omnipresent on TvTropes that i never saw or read or played

i didn't like it

remember when there was that controversy with people accusing Twoflower (the troper not the Discworld character) of promoting Sailor Nothing on the wiki

All I remember about that series was that I think Tzetze liked it.
  • kill living beings
    I did. still do, but there are definite internetty problems
  • Sailor Nothing is a really good book (well, web-novel, whatever) for people of a certain age and mindset and I don't think there's anything wrong with it being that specific.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

you missed out, my friend!
  • everything except homestuck and discworld

was studio ghibli a big thing on tvt i dont even remember
    Well I like Prince of Nothing and that's basically just a more competent more grimdark Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality written by a man who has no ability to conduct himself on the internet.
    the format was interesting but i just kind of hate it

i hate it more now than i did then, it was horrible, the worst
    obviously if you got something out of it that is fine and it's good
    sunn wolf are you saying you have never seen a Ghibli movie?

cuz if so you missed out i think
  • Sailor Nothing
    Katawa Shoujo

Okay, honestly, TVT is simply filled with people prattling about all their favorite works of creative media all the time anyway, and there's really no way for any one person to have read/watched/played/etc. all the things that obsessive fans (which are a dime a dozen) keep chatting about.

Perhaps a better list would be to say what big-on-TVT things I _did_ read/watch/play.

Magic the Gathering (to a limited extent)
    Nanoha series (note that BetrayerS is a non-canon fanfic)
    Evangelion
  • Tachyon said:

sunn wolf are you saying you have never seen a Ghibli movie?

cuz if so you missed out i think

no im saying i have seen fucktons of ghibli but maybe itwas a thing and i just didnt notice bcos i didnt go on those bits of tvt verymuch
  • Oh yeah I remember the Nanoha stuff. Made things weird on occasion because people thought my name was a reference to a girl on the show in certain circles on TVT.

Never bothered to take a look through. It didn't look terribly appealing.

(on a similar note, Madoka too)
    The weird thing about the Whateley universe entry pimping was that it was always referred to as "The Webfiction Whateley Universe"
    i think for a while i thought that was the actual title
  • Every time I see "Whateley" I think "Wheatley" from Portal 2.

Portal, that's another series it took me a while to get into.

That said, Portal, Team Fortress 2, and (belatedly) Madoka Magica are things that I have actually gotten into.

@Tre: A set of villains in the third Nanoha TV series are named after Italian cardinal numerals.  One of them, thus, is Tre.
  • The stuff in the OP, most of the fanfics (barring "My Immortal", which I read and found hilarious), Warhammer 40K, pro8a8ly a 8unch of other stuff. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Odradek said:

• edited 2015-07-25 00:09:59
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Whateley is Lovecraft plus cape comics. Not that I know that much about it, I just got fed up and looked through the page one day.

Coincidentally, I feel like there's a Worm entry on almost every page.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Mach: I did the same about Whateley one day, after seeing it entry-pimped all over the place for a while. I had it in my head it was a visual novel or webcomic, based on some of the drooly comments people would make about characters' appearances, but lol nope. 

Other stuff I saw people talking about on TVT that I either didn't really get into, didn't get around to watching/playing, or just didn't like:

Gurren Lagann (just didn't care enough beyond the memes)
    Nanoha (the show itself may not be that bad, and it's good to see a same-sex relationship in an anime that's not treated as childish or tragic, but damn were the fans gross. :P)
    Anything by Joss Whedon (except The Avengers, which I did really like—sorry Myr)
    Pretty much any webcomic that saw a lot of buzz, but particularly Order of the Stick. Homestuck was on this list once, but I gave in back in 2011 (during the [o] intermission).
    Warhammer anything (the mythology is awesome, but I understand the games and books themselves are huge money sinks).
    A whole raft of video games (TWEWY was one, but also EBA/OTO and a bunch of other JRPGs and rhythm games). Now that MOTHER and EarthBound have legitimate VC releases, I should damn well play them. :P

oh yeah i haven't seen much of Whedon's output, and that was a huge thing there

Gurren Lagann is actually really good imo, not perfect but i rewatched it recently and it was fun
    No the fandom cannot win
  • Gurenn Lagann was the best thing that group did until they became Trigger and did Kill la Kill.
    i actually think it might have been better than KLK

however i've only seen that the once, maybe i should rewatch it before comparing
    Odradek said:

No the fandom cannot win

• Odradek said:

Odradek said:

No the fandom cannot win

We know how you feel about the Gurren Lagann fandom.
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

No the fandom cannot win

• edited 2015-07-25 00:54:49
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i try not to base my opinions on stuff on my opinions of the fandom
    Why should we care about the annoying Kamina fans here?

We have no annoying Kamina fans here.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Gurren Lagann was pretty good but Kill la Kill turned me off on the first episode.
    I'll just keep saying that Kill La Kill didn't fully hook me until the fourth episode.
    The interesting thing about Kamina, imo, is precisely that he's so flawed.  Simon was nothing before Kamina, Kamina was nothing before Simon.

It's a show that lures you in by pretending to be about heroics and the willpower of great men, when actually it's about people who aren't much on their own helping one another to be great.
    Calica said:

Gurren Lagann was pretty good but Kill la Kill turned me off on the first episode.

If you're referring to the scene which introduced Senketsu, that was unfortunate, but not really representative of the show.

Nevertheless i can understand being put off by it.
  • edited 2015-07-25 00:54:38
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Alright, let's see how many things I will hate in this thing.

The name Kane Hall is a nod towards Batman creator Bob Kane.[13]

Bob Kane was only tangential to Batman's creation, guys. Also, have you seen his grave? He doesn't need any more nods.

The Tao (See: Bladedancer)

Roughly analogous to Destiny, the Tao is a concept that has a will to cause certain events in the name of necessity. It may even be the Will of the Creator himself. It has been theorized that the Elder Gods gain their power from the Tao rather than the more earthy concepts of the other Outer Gods, though there isn't a shred of evidence to support the theory.

Oh fuck off.

Alexander Farshine was an average boy...who bought a sword from an old Chinese gentleman at a gun show...It turns out that having the blade makes her the Handmaiden of Destiny, the Keeper of the Balance, and sometimes the human embodiment of the Tao.

what

The Chinese term is 婢女道 (pinyin bìnǚ dào)[1] with bìnǚ (slave-girl) as verb and Tao as the object, so it literally means something like "[the one who] serves the Tao like a slave girl". Unlike other possible renderings this implies that the Handmaid of the Tao behaves like and has the status of a servant only when interacting with the Tao and might have a much higher status otherwise.

The Handmaid is thought to arise in response to a specific threat to balance, be it large or small, good or evil. People in the know think she is responsible for depopulating the state of Yue in the time of Emperor Liu Bang.[3]

I'm rubbing my head right now. Look, Daoism isn't a magical force with a singular name like "balance." It has no will, no agency, and to imply or state that it does misses the point. It's a name to a pattern or a theory that individuals can choose to follow, or don't.

Looks like Zhang Ziyi, of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fame except for her verdant jade green eyes.

Oh, yeah, that's just the cherry on top. Literally could not think of anyone else, could not phrase it any other way, could you?
  • speaking of KLK apparently Scissor Sisters is being updated again if anyone but me was following that.
    MachSpeed said:

Alright, let's see how many things I will hate in this thing.

The name Kane Hall is a nod towards Batman creator Bob Kane.[13]

Bob Kane was only tangential to Batman's creation, guys. Also, have you seen his grave? He doesn't need any more nods.
    I can actually agree with this.

What about some Bill Finger or Jerry Robinson nods, guys?
    it might actually be the worst first name