Bonkers is a much better show than I thought it would be

edited 2015-07-19 06:47:45 in General
discuss

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    no seriously I thought it was going to be yet another milquetoast Disney Afternoon show to which time hasn't been too kind but NO IT'S NOT IT'S GREAT
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i used to watch this

i don't remember much about it . . . it's Disney attempting to be Looney Tunes, maybe?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

i don't remember much about it . . . it's Disney attempting to be Looney Tunes, maybe?

Wasn't Darkwing Duck like that, too?
    could be

i used to watch that too but it's a pretty dim memory for me, it was so long ago

i think i liked Darkwing Duck better than Bonkers
    it's the cartoon in Anonus' current avatar

it aired on ITV over here on a Saturday morning, it was divided into segments featuring different characters

it had a lot of wacky visual humour and felt surprisingly unlike a Disney show
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Do you think Bubsy acts like a dick to Bonkers now that they're both washed up
  • Odradek said:

i like to think that cartoon bobcats stick together
  • I remember seeing both Bonkers and Darkwing Duck on Toon Disney in reruns as a kid.

I enjoyed both, though I think I liked Darkwing Duck more.
    Odradek said:

Bonkers is locked up in the Disney Vault, he doesn't have any contact with Bubsy

Also I'm not sure how many people here know this, but he's essentially a stand-in for Roger Rabbit, who Disney couldn't use free and clear because I think Spielberg had to be involved in anything to do with the characters (this is also why Warner Bros. never uses the TTA/A!/PaTB/F! characters anymore)
    Also, TV Tropes's idol Greg Weisman essentially created the show, though he had to give up the reins of it to Duane Capizzi
    Anonus said:

Also, TV Tropes's idol Greg Weisman essentially created the show, though he had to give up the reins of it to Duane Capizzi

I have never heard of this man
  • He made Gargoyles and a few other things
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-07-19 20:53:21
    (among said things, The Spectacular Spider-Man as a TV series and Young Justice, both of which were somewhat revered on TVT for a while but not nearly as much as Gargoyles, which still stands as the name source for an entire subset of tropes)
    Like The Spectacular Spider-Man, which seems like one of those mediocre shows nerds liked more than kids did
    Anonus said:

Like The Spectacular Spider-Man, which seems like one of those mediocre shows nerds liked more than kids did

Don't be bitter, Anonus.
    Well

Was it
    I dunno, I've never seen it.
    i think i liked that one when i was a kid

at least, i liked a show about spider-man, maybe it was that one

i got into it late because when i was younger i felt shows involving action and muted/grey-ish colour palettes (e.g. Batman, X-Men, most anime) were 'for older kids' and therefore confusing/boring/scary/unpleasant
    Tachyon said:

i think i liked that one when i was a kid

at least, i liked a show about spider-man, maybe it was that one

i got into it late because when i was younger i felt shows involving action and muted/grey-ish colour palettes (e.g. Batman, X-Men, most anime) were 'for older kids' and therefore confusing/boring/scary/unpleasant

It was probably 90s Spider-Man.

That was pretty okay.

Much better than 90s X-Men, which was just kinda dumb.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-07-19 21:26:08
    Yeah, Spectacular Spider-Man had a very warm, western animation-y feel to its art and was on during the late 2000s.

Might've actually been a Kids' WB show for a bit before the Marvel-Disney deal cooked its goose, iirc.
    It aired on KWB for the final two months of its existence
    It was the second-to-last show the block introduced, the last being World of Quest
    My sleep deprivation is not currently happening, so I have to say that my further impression is that this show is one-half fun and one-half same old Disney Afternoon semi-entertainment

too bad, really
    the first two episodes were fun though
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I absolutely love Gargoyles.

Seriously, that show is the bomb.

-shameliroz-
  • Gargoyles is actually very well regarded so I'd say you have nothing to be ashamed of.

There's a comic series that picks up from where the series left off if you were not aware. Tho since I know nothing of Gargoyles in the first place I'm not sure where you'd acquire said comics.
    I exclude Gargoyles from my accusations of semi-entertainment
    Along with Darkwing Duck
  • I don't remember much about Bonkers but I had a renewed interest when I found out one of my adultier adults wrote for it.
    adultier adults?
  • especialy mature adults who love mowing lawns and doing taxes in their spare time
  • usually refers to an adult in my life who is 5-10 years older than me minimum. The woman in question is old enough to be my mother easily.