Why '90s Kids™ fawn over Nickelodeon so much?

Retrospect has revealed that Nickelodeon had no soul, even if they did serve up good stuff while masking their soullessness

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    (any veneer of soul seems to have vanished around the late '90s)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    All big corporations are soulless
    I'd argue classic CN had soul, but I'm a fanboy :n
    And Viacom in general is especially soulless. It's just caught up with them in the last decade
    Really, Nick has never seemed to care much for creative types and that bothers me
    In a sense, I am glad that Nickelodeon is apparently dying

But on the other hand, it is kind of bittersweet because of their legacy
  • edited 2015-07-16 01:58:02
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The Fred/Alan and early Nicktoons eras were excellent. SpongeBob was the beginning of the end, sadly.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And besides, before Cartoon Network went live in 1992, there were very few places where you could gorge on on obscure kids' shows outside of Nick. The Cartoon Express was still around, sure, but who wanted to wake up that early on a Sunday to catch it?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i think it's because they watched it a lot when they were kids, and they have fond memories of that time

probably there is no other reason
    lee4hmz said:

And besides, before Cartoon Network went live in 1992, there were very few places where you could gorge on on obscure kids' shows outside of Nick. The Cartoon Express was still around, sure, but who wanted to wake up that early on a Sunday to catch it?

yeah, i get that
    the obscure kids shows seem like the best thing about pre-Nicktoons Nick
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    soul, soul, soul

you always talk about soul.

what the hell does that even mean?

also, what Tachyon said.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    An artificial term that can only be applied retroactively.

In this context, it means honesty, integrity, empathy, compassion, a desire to do good in the world.

But to succeed, you can't have any of those things in the first place.
  • IM STILL SO FUCKING PISSED ABOUT CAMP SNOOPY BEING REPLACED WITH NICKELODEON UNIVERSE
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

IM STILL SO FUCKING PISSED ABOUT CAMP SNOOPY BEING REPLACED WITH NICKELODEON UNIVERSE

I can't blame you, TBH.

soul, soul, soul

you always talk about soul.

what the hell does that even mean?

also, what Tachyon said.

it's an intangible quality I can't consciously define, really
    MachSpeed said:

An artificial term that can only be applied retroactively.

In this context, it means honesty, integrity, empathy, compassion, a desire to do good in the world.

But to succeed, you can't have any of those things in the first place.
    It's not quite what I mean by this context

As for that last sentence, I know :(
  • the nice thing about camp snoopy was that it was like, subtle, y'know? there were peanuts characters here and there, but mostly it just had this nice woodsy sort of theme AND NOW LOOK

LOOK AT THIS SHIT

IT'S FUCKING NAUSEATING

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK YOU DORA, FUCK YOU JIMMY MOTHERFUCKING NEUTRON, AND ESPECIALLY FUCK YOU SPONGEBOB, SHOVE YOUR STUPID UGLY-ASS PINEAPPLE HOUSE UP YOUR ASS AND DIE
  • THIS IS WHY I CAN NEVER FORGIVE NICKELODEON AND THEIR INFINITELY SHITTY FRANCHISES AND THEIR SHITTY UGLY ORANGE BRANDING
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    whoa
  • I was not allowed to watch Nickolodean as a child.

This may have been a good thing all things considered.
  • edited 2015-07-16 03:20:41
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

THIS IS WHY I CAN NEVER FORGIVE NICKELODEON AND THEIR INFINITELY SHITTY FRANCHISES AND THEIR SHITTY UGLY ORANGE BRANDING

I'll still defend Avatar: The Last Airbender (at least the original series) to the death, but otherwise...
  • im not really that mad, but im still kinda mad about how ugly it is

even kid me was upset by the ugliness of nickelodeon and now that ugliness is all over what i thought was a pretty nice thing
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Interestingly enough, the opposite happened at Kings Island...they replaced Nickelodeon Central/Nickelodeon Universe with Planet Snoopy!

Of course, Nickelodeon Universe itself replaced the original Hanna-Barbera Land, which I'm sure AU isn't happy about...
    Well okay

Interestingly enough, the opposite happened at Kings Island...they replaced Nickelodeon Central/Nickelodeon Universe with Planet Snoopy!

Of course, Nickelodeon Universe itself replaced the original Hanna-Barbera Land, which I'm sure AU isn't happy about...

Viacom synergy. Had to get the hated Ted/Time Warner

naney said:

THIS IS WHY I CAN NEVER FORGIVE NICKELODEON AND THEIR INFINITELY SHITTY FRANCHISES AND THEIR SHITTY UGLY ORANGE BRANDING

I'll still defend Avatar: The Last Airbender (at least the original series) to the death, but otherwise...
    You can't defend R&S (pre-John K firing) or RML or anything?
    Why shit so fucked
    naney said:

Fred/Alan chose orange as Nick's color because it generally clashed with everything
    Also I admit the Nicktoon characters never looked "right" together because unlike, say, Hanna-Barbera, there was no house style or attempt to enforce one
    Pre-Nicktoons Nick was a whole lot less ugly than what Nick is now.
    There's some sad things known to man

But ain't too much sadder than

The tears of a clown

When there's no one around
    I now have that song stuck in my head
  • kill living beings
    look, it was this or baby looney tunes

and unfortunately other nickelodeons do not have tv shows

They did get June Foray to be Granny again in Baby Looney Tunes, at least