I feel sad that St. Louis is said to be so awful

I always wanted it to be a Great American City like had been built up in my head. I actually stayed at a hotel there one night in 2002, but I remember virtually nothing about this. Now all I hear about St. Louis is that it's racist, it's a culture-less dump, they have shitty pizza...

Comments

• where do you hear these things about cities, anyway?

I almost never hear anyone talk about cities they're not currently in or planning to visit soon.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i've heard about racism in st. louis but that's probably mostly because of the ferguson protests
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Drew Magary's Why Your Team Sucks articles

Sports fans seem to hold more enmity towards cities they don't live in relative to the general population
    and a lot of people who claim to live in St. Louis say it sucks
  • Anonus said:

Sports fans seem to hold more enmity towards cities they don't live in relative to the general population
    why are you reading those, then?

It's a very strange thing to care so much about on his part.
    Anonus said:

man, gawker network sites are always going to hate everything.
    also this is how I learned of St. Louis-style pizza:

>By far the worst thing about St. Louis is the proliferation of Provel Cheese. This abomination, which cannot legally be called cheese, has the melting point of warm butter, and tastes like burnt plastic - is put on "St. Louis style" pizza and other Italian dishes and is universally loved by St. Louis natives but loathed by literally everyone else. Think about it. New York style pizza and Chicago style pizza can be found all over the country, because people from elsewhere try it, like it, and bring it back to their hometown. St. Louis style pizza, which tastes like a burnt saltine cracker with a thin layer of sauce and provel cheese on it, is found nowhere else because outsiders come to St. Louis, try it, and vow to never put such wretched filth in their mouths again.
    except the sudanese regime.  they're okay with that.

Anonus said:

why are you reading those, then?

It's a very strange thing to care so much about on his part.
    Because I think they're funny? (And they are mostly facetious. I also noticed that the earlier ones seem less angry than the more recent ones)
    Also Deadspin seems a lot more angry (and honestly kind of regressed) than, say, Jezebel
    Yes I know Jezebel has its issues but still
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Keep reading Gawker, math nerds consider it worse than Hitler.
    I have my problems with Gawker Media in general, though I do kind of envy Nick Denton for starting Valleywag to gain power in Silicon Valley

I want power in Silicon Valley too!
    of course I chased everyone off with Silicon Valley's grossness didn't I
    Odradek said:

Keep reading Gawker, math nerds consider it worse than Hitler.

just please don't try to defend the part where they literally defend the sudanese regime because oh noes hollywood
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    What is it about Gawker that gets Teh Menz so upset, anyhow? I can think of a few things, but I'm not sure what their priority is.
    probably those dirty feminists
  • kill living beings
    I'm pretty near saint Louie right now and people seem to like it okay