JCPenney

edited 2012-01-26 21:21:19 in Talk
They're planning on completely revamping their stores and pricing in an attempt to save themselves after a bad holiday season.

I'm kinda worried for the future of the company, to be honest. This is one of those things that could either go really well or fail really hard--though I suppose it's better than doing nothing and fading away into bankruptcy.

Also, this is their new logo:

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That logo...I want to see some applications for it. It looks kind of stupid and in need of refinement on its own. Waiting for applications is something the graphic design ignorant this-is-the-next-2010-Gap-logo crowd needs to learn to do, in my opinion.

I wonder if they have a history of doing badly.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Agreed...not that a logo shouldn't be judged on its own merits, but applications can make a world of difference. For some reason I keep thinking the empty space will be used to frame things.

Also I find it amusing that they went from Helvetica to Gotham.
    Sometimes I wonder if people notice Gotham's ubiquity.
  • edited 2012-01-26 03:39:37
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Part of me wonders whether the proliferation of Gotham now is at all similar to the proliferation of Helvetica in the '60s.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    When Gotham is ashes
  • American flag similarity seems kitschy.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I noticed that too. It struck me as somewhat weird, because there's no real reason to want to associate JCPenney with PATRIOTISM aside from a cheap attempt to cash in on it.

I wonder if the store's name is actually going to change to just "JCP". Hell, most people I know still call it "Penneys", even though they haven't used that name since the '70s.

Also, in the new commercial they seem to be using something of a transitional logo, consisting of just the "jcp" portion from the 2011 logo:

Brand New article already. Armin Vit is fast.

Also if I'm ever put in charge of moderating BN's comments the first thing I'm doing is wordfiltering "Gap".
    I like Gotham but sometimes its ubiquity depresses me. I still am not sure on the logo.
    Agreed on both counts.

Something about the logo seems "off" to me, somehow, but not enough to necessarily call it "bad".
  • The red, the blue, and the large white space create tension.
  • edited 2012-01-26 20:48:40
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Speaking as someone who isn't into logos that much, I don't like the fact that there's so much empty white space, either. I understand they're trying to make it look like the American flag, but maybe if they made the blue box a little bigger, it'd look nicer. It's a little weird that the initials of their store take up about 20% of the space.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I think if the red border where less thin (compared to all of the blakn space at least) it'd look less weird.
  • edited 2012-01-28 01:41:35
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I think it's funny that the Brand New article refers to this new campaign as "on-target", because that's what it reminds me of -- a more colorful version of Target's livery. 

Also, the big square kind or reminds me of Nationwide's current logo (which I remember not liking all that much when it was introduced).

Also also, the comments are hi-larious. "Twee Technicolor hell"? Sure, if this was a high-end, mahogany paneling and parquet floor kind of place, it'd be an absolute travesty, but this is JCPenney we're talking about here. This is the next step above Target and Walmart. Appealing to normal people is key.
  • There are many reasons to shop health food stores online, but there are
    specific reasons to shop for health food products. One of those reasons
    could be to send an elderly or homebound loved one an offering of
    delicious health food to enhance his or her life. Another reason would
    be the desire to diet intelligently and help maintain an optimum weight.
    Our top nine selections of online health food retailers offer massive
    selection, unique products, and assistance with purchases.
    ...Tnophelia, are you secretly a spambot or something?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    -looks up the 2010 Gap logo-

Now, see, Gap is considered a higher-end kind of place. The old logo looks more...I dunno, expensive? Classy? Whereas the 2010 logo makes it look like they're trying to go lower-end, especially considering the main font is Helvetica (which looks generic these days). It also looks very corporate, like it belongs more on a venture-capital fund or a tech company (cf. Seagate's 2002 logo).

None of that applies to the new JCP logo. While there is a lot of whitespace in it, it has a snap to it that the 2010 Gap logo doesn't, and as I hinted at before, I really like the applications.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    BUNP
  • What do they even sell at JC Penny's? I've never been in one.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    If I recall correctly from the last time I was there, it's a Macy's-esque department store, but mostly specializing in clothes. I don't remember if they sell any furniture or appliances.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Wait a minute,

JC Penny is a real shop?
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Yeah.
    Well I'll be dammed

I really thought it was a shop that Family Guy made up
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Family Guy likes to keep topical. Same with South Park.

It's funny when I have to explain to Friday that references in either are usually to "Real things" or "events".
  • King Friday must have had such a warped view of America when she arrived here.
    @Justice:

To be honest, Family Guy and South Park are quite ethnocentric so its hard to tell whats real and whats fiction
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-01-28 17:28:23
    I knew this thread would be here eventually.

Personally, I thought the logo was "deeaugh" at first, but my thoughts of it improved with the applications.

I'm still leery of it as a store sign though. If it were up to me I'd make the "flag" appear to the left of the name "JCPenney", but then again that may seem too much like it's copying Macy*s.