Cincinnati or Pittsburgh?

2»

Comments

• the rivalry between Mad Monks of Mellewah and Orenthal James Simpson
  • the rivalry between Dumbo and U SUK
  • Also I'll be honest, I feel guilty making the patriarchal character a big Steeler fan because I don't like Roethlisberger and feel myself and ABC to be enabling him somehow

You worry about the strangest things
    he's been accused of rape on more than one occasion

and I'm a terrible amoral shit
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I feel an amoral person would not worry so much if they were doing something wrong.
  • am I doing something wrong? am I a rape enabler?

am I doing something wrong? am I a rape enabler?

NO
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You're fine.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Relax.

Making a fictional character like a football team that happened to have a rapist on it does not, in any way, constitute condoning rape.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    unless said fictional character is a TOTALLY AWESOME DUDE and he sez "yeah, rape is cool" and everybody's all "you know it bro"
  • I'm not sure whether or not said fictional character is a "totally awesome dude", he's in his late 30s-early 40s and has a pinball machine in his basement...where there's also a home bar
  • the bar may or may not be dispensed of though
    pinball is ok, basement bar is off-putting to me
    i feel like the more relevant point here is that neither he nor the show is endorsing rape

he's a guy who likes a football team, lots of people support the Steelers
    Basically that's what I mean. "Character likes the Steelers," by itself, is harmless.
  • pinball is ok, basement bar is off-putting to me

I can understand why, but I was concerned about space
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also tbh a lot of football teams probably have rapists on them just from the number of players on any given team
  • probably :/

also I'm starting to worry that the husband is boring but the wife is interesting due to her cult background
    You don't build interesting characters out of weird backstories.  Whether he's interesting or not will depend on his personality, and the actor playing him.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Also, versimilitude. Very important.
  • I know backstory isn't all a character is (ffs it's a wonder that none of the puppies from One Hundred and One Dalmatians show signs of PTSD), but it can inform their personalities!
    True.

What i mean is that average backstory ≠ boring and weird backstory ≠ interesting.  The backstory in a sitcom, especially, is mostly irrelevant, since such shows rarely have ongoing plots.  What matters is how the characters are now.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Sitcom by definition is a situation comedy. It's about the funny things that are going on right now.
    ^ i said 'rarely' rather than 'never' because most sitcoms in my experience have some amount of continuity

but it tends to be pretty loose and there's usually no expectation that you will watch every episode, or that you'll watch the episodes in sequence, so the plots are self-contained
    Sure, funny business can come up by bringing up the past, but always because it relates to the present.
    The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is actually about a former cult member.
  • God dammit Tina Fey why you so good
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Regarding Cincinnati: My mom likes to talk about how all the people down in the middle of nowhere, West Virginia (where she lived back in the 1970s) loved "the Raids" and wouldn't shut up about them. It kind of put her off them.
  • Is Kimmy Schmidt a Machine Doll?
  • lee4hmz said:

Regarding Cincinnati: My mom likes to talk about how all the people down in the middle of nowhere, West Virginia (where she lived back in the 1970s) loved "the Raids" and wouldn't shut up about them. It kind of put her off them.

Mother shouting against the Raiders when I was little made me wonder if Oakland was like Mordor
    You're a machine doll.
  • MachSpeed said:

You're a machine doll.

I'm clearly not unbreakable though.
    You're the breakable machine doll.