Controversial opinion: movies should look more like games.

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I would like to know exactly what you want out of a video game.

I hope this isn't an unfair question to ask.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I didn't know France had popular music
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

Serge Gainsbourg (born Lucien Ginsburg;[1] French pronunciation: ​[sɛʁʒ ɡɛ̃sbuʁ]; 2 April 1928 – 2 March 1991)[2] was a French singer, songwriter, pianist, film composer, poet, painter, screenwriter, writer, actor and director.[3] Regarded as one of the most important figures in French popular music, he was renowned for his often provocative and scandalous releases,[4][5] as well as his diverse artistic output, which embodied genres ranging from jazz, mambo, world, chanson, pop and yé-yé, to rock and roll, progressive rock, reggae, electronic, disco, new wave and funk. Gainsbourg's varied musical style and individuality make him difficult to categorize although his legacy has been firmly established and he is often regarded as one of the world's most influential popular musicians.[6]

also he was very hot

You are really going the extra mile for this deception
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said: naney said:Chic? Pat Metheny? John Coltrane? Eric dolphy? bjork?

naney said:Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, 10,000 Maniacs, Deftones, Serge Gainsbourg

Those are fake names

Pat Metheny did a
    Jojos ending!
  • ...Myst

Myst is what I want out of a video game. also the Myst sequels are pretty decent.

I completely forgot about them when I made my first post.

Also I enjoyed the monkey island games, they were very genuinely funny.
  • edited 2015-07-03 17:44:53
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

naney said:

Serge Gainsbourg (born Lucien Ginsburg;[1] French pronunciation: ​[sɛʁʒ ɡɛ̃sbuʁ]; 2 April 1928 – 2 March 1991)[2] was a French singer, songwriter, pianist, film composer, poet, painter, screenwriter, writer, actor and director.[3] Regarded as one of the most important figures in French popular music, he was renowned for his often provocative and scandalous releases,[4][5] as well as his diverse artistic output, which embodied genres ranging from jazz, mambo, world, chanson, pop and yé-yé, to rock and roll, progressive rock, reggae, electronic, disco, new wave and funk. Gainsbourg's varied musical style and individuality make him difficult to categorize although his legacy has been firmly established and he is often regarded as one of the world's most influential popular musicians.[6]

also he was very hot

You are really going the extra mile for this deception
    I can verify that Serge Gainsbourg is real, good, and attractive if you're into his sort of look.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    (that's actually all I know about Pat Metheny)
  • video games I have enjoyed: Super Mario 64, Myst, Uru, every monkey island game, grim fandango
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

...Myst

Myst is what I want out of a video game. also the Myst sequels are pretty decent.

I completely forgot about them when I made my first post.

Also I enjoyed the monkey island games, they were very genuinely funny.

That's fair enough, then.

You may want to play Yume Nikki, then. Lots of people love that game, it lacks dialogue or genre signifiers, and it has a similar exploration motif to Myst.

I'm an admirer of it more than a fan, myself, but my idea of "great gaming art" is Cave Story, so I think we have different ideas there.
    Calica said:

Odradek said:

naney said:

Chic? Pat Metheny? John Coltrane? Eric dolphy? bjork?

naney said:

Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, 10,000 Maniacs, Deftones, Serge Gainsbourg

Those are fake names
    Pat Metheny did a Jojos ending!

Okay, so he put in a few real names to cover his deception.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    naney said:

video games I have enjoyed: Super Mario 64, Myst, Uru, every monkey island game, grim fandango

If you liked both Mario 64 and Grim Fandango, you might like Psychonauts.
    Psychonauts is P. Cool
  • I would probably like that too
  • also I liked Terraria
  • Kexruct said:

It's also a new medium with some unique issues. But artistic merit is there. In some places. Usually buried under many flaws. But there nonetheless.

basically I p much agree w/ kex here, its just that a lot of the time those flaws end up being deal-breakers for me
  • Terraria is awesome and you should play the new patch because there are weaponized yo-yos now.

Also Yume Nikki is the sort of media that can change your life if you get into it at a certain time and even if it doesn't it's still very very very good.
  • edited 2015-07-03 19:20:20
    naney said:

Kexruct said:

It's also a new medium with some unique issues. But artistic merit is there. In some places. Usually buried under many flaws. But there nonetheless.

basically I p much agree w/ kex here, its just that a lot of the time those flaws end up being deal-breakers for me
    Video games are probably the least accessible medium because it requires so much investment and actively bars a full interaction with the work in a way no other medium (except MAYBE kindasorta books) does.

Hence their principal form of engagement is usually emotional rather than cerebral, hence the dearth of truly artistic games. But damned if there isn't some good emotional engagement out there.
  • Also a lot of games with Big Themes go about their Big Themes in a pulpy way (see: Mass Effect) which often makes them seem less thoughtful than they are.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

like lemme put it this way would you look for artistic merit in Settlers of Catan?

Settlers of Catan is a very entertaining, well-designed game, according to people who know more about board games than I do. If that isn't a form of artistic merit, then maybe the concept of "artistic merit" needs revision.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Calica said:

Pat Metheny is a jazz guitarist who also plays this 42-string hybrid monster guitar, and once wrote possibly the best criticism of Kenny G ever put to paper.
  • naney said:

video games I have enjoyed: Super Mario 64, Myst, Uru, every monkey island game, grim fandango

The first of these is not like the others.

So, you want puzzles and atmosphere and good writing then. Portal might be up your alley. Maybe Talos Principle as well, which has basically been touted as the new Myst for the modern era.

naney said:

The first of these is not like the others.
    Actually I can kinda see it
  • its not puzzles im after exactly

i like atmosphere, and i like a bit of challenge, but not too much

super mario 64 was a very lonely, mysterious sort of thing in places, especially towards the later levels

there were few people to talk to, you're stuck in this castle with all these secrets and mysterious worlds to explore

like remember that totally empty town in that world where you could make the water go up and down?
  • MetaFour said:

like lemme put it this way would you look for artistic merit in Settlers of Catan?

Settlers of Catan is a very entertaining, well-designed game, according to people who know more about board games than I do. If that isn't a form of artistic merit, then maybe the concept of "artistic merit" needs revision.
    Plus its mechanics make political statements, and good political statements = artistic merit
    naney said:

its not puzzles im after exactly

super mario 64 was a very lonely, mysterious sort of thing in places, especially towards the later levels

there were few people to talk to, you're stuck in this castle with all these secrets and mysterious worlds to explore

like remember that totally empty town in that world where you could make the water go up and down?
    You might like Shadow of the Colossus then.
  • naney said:

that totally empty town in that world where you could make the water go up and down?

that sounds like some invisible cities shit
  • i hear lots of good things about Settlers of Catan
    MetaFour said:

Calica said:

Pat Metheny is a jazz guitarist who also plays this 42-string hybrid monster guitar, and once wrote possibly the best criticism of Kenny G ever put to paper.
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders - vol 26 ch 239 Page 9 | Batoto!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders - vol 26 ch 239 Page 10 | Batoto!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders - vol 26 ch 239 Page 11 | Batoto!
  • Catan sounds like a cross between cat and Satan so based purely on that im gonna say it's p good
  • edited 2015-07-03 20:40:16

sunn wolf said:

naney said:

that totally empty town in that world where you could make the water go up and down?

also:

* the endless staircases

* the clock world where it was super easy to plummet into an endless void

* the bit where you could run through the mirror to unlock Wario but ALSO if you went through the mirror and then exited the room via the door in the mirror you emerged into a totally blank space
    naney said:

sunn wolf said:

naney said:

also:

* the endless staircases

* the clock world where it was super easy to plummet into an endless void

* the bit where you could run through the mirror to unlock Wario but ALSO if you went through the mirror and then exited the room via the door in the mirror you emerged into a totally blank space
    That last bit was only in the DS version.
  • yeah but that is the version i had
  • naney said:

its not puzzles im after exactly

The Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, and Castlevania are good for atmosphere.

Bioshock is good as well, if you can ignore some of its obvious storytelling flaws in favor of things it did really well. Spec Ops: The Line probably isn't your thing mechanically but I don't think there's any work, like, period whose themes stuck with me more.

Gone Home doesn't have much going on thematically but it's wonderfully atmospheric and pretty much perfect in terms of emotional engagement.

• i guess i should have made that clear
    naney said:

yeah but that is the version i had

It is the version I am most familiar with too.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I never liked Super Mario 64 when I was younger, on account of it being 3D (it was oddly uncomfortable to Little!Crystal), so I think if I gave it another shot now I'd really like it, just going by what's been said here.
  • With that context, Dark Souls would probably be the best bet for you out of the first three Kex mentioned. As far as I know, since I never got a controller and playing it with a keyboard is supposed to be impossible.

With that context, Dark Souls would probably be the best bet for you out of the first three Kex mentioned. As far as I know, since I never got a controller and playing it with a keyboard is supposed to be impossible.

Play it with telepathy Kex
  • dark souls is nice, BioShock is corny
  • also autocorrect insists that the s in BioShock is capitalised
  • Tre said:

I'm one of those folks who would say that games can have artistic merit if the creators intended to include it, but I could also probably find artistic merit in a block of Swiss cheese if I wanted.

to you and in reply to @naney's comments: artistic merit is a subjective thing.  And yeah I'm more like you.

Maybe it's probably a question of "can I find some sort of meaning in it?", rather than "do I personally feel artistic merit in it"?

Like how some people refer to some classic board games such as Go as "beautiful".

I would argue that talking about artistic merit is missing the point of a good many video games.

I am quoting this to agree with it.
    Come to think of it, artistic merit might be one of those things that can be forcefully found, but has to be discovered by accident.
    Kexruct said:

Video games are probably the least accessible medium because it requires so much investment and actively bars a full interaction with the work in a way no other medium (except MAYBE kindasorta books) does.

Hence their principal form of engagement is usually emotional rather than cerebral, hence the dearth of truly artistic games. But damned if there isn't some good emotional engagement out there.

I'm not sure how being artistic means that it has to engage cerebrally rather than emotionally.

In fact, very often people see art in an emotional lens.  Seeing something through the "cerebral" lens is what's considered less moving, more just "doing things", and less ...artsy I guess.

Crystal said:

I never liked Super Mario 64 when I was younger, on account of it being 3D (it was oddly uncomfortable to Little!Crystal), so I think if I gave it another shot now I'd really like it, just going by what's been said here.

The camera is wonky.
    naney said:

dark souls is nice, BioShock is corny

Ken Levine: Don't worry that I'm actually saying something, my writing is really just a critique of extremism of all stripes.
  • My definition of "art" necessitates a statement of some sort, not necessarily a clear one just... a statement, period. Creating emotions doesn't inherently mean something, but it allows statements to be understood on a deeper level.
    Kexruct said:

My definition of "art" necessitates a statement of some sort, not necessarily a clear one just... a statement, period. Creating emotions doesn't inherently mean something, but it allows statements to be understood on a deeper level.

Kex, they just announced Zero Escape 3.

This has nothing to do with the thread, I just thought you'd like to know.
  • I know, have lost shit as is appropriate.

Also that series is pretty good too.
    tumblr_inline_mtbec1nxVN1qgv466.gif
  • And even with that clarification, I'd recommend Portal.

The puzzles are easy enough to get the hang of, and it does the 'locked alone in a decaying facility' thing better than most horror games
  • I played Portal for GLaDOS.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i will always be Mario trash but that's me :n
  • Kexruct said:

My definition of "art" necessitates a statement of some sort, not necessarily a clear one just... a statement, period. Creating emotions doesn't inherently mean something, but it allows statements to be understood on a deeper level.

But abstract music (e.g. much classical music) does not have explicit statements, yet is widely considered to be art.