High Heels, Nintendo, Fanservice, Assorted Topics

2»

Comments

• Tarot is on Linkara's "will not review" list, but he did say the relevant quote so people would get off his back.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Tarot is on Linkara's "will not review" list, but he did say the relevant quote so people would get off his back.

That's how you know it's good
  • if that comic is half as good as it looks I may have to change my blanket "comics are bad" opinion
  • if that comic is half as good as it looks I may have to change my blanket "comics are bad" opinion
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    yes, it looks promising
  • Tachyon said:

at a slight tangent

i notice Nintendo have a way of treating the Mario and Zelda titles as a mythology of sorts which they can call back to at any point in any subsequent game

i kind of wish they would do the same with Donkey Kong, and i slightly resent that they have shown more willingness to license that name to other developers with lower quality standards than Nintendo proper

King K. Rool and the Kremlings were as much a part of the old DK series as Bowser and the Koopas are a part of Mario

idk, not important to gameplay i know, no doubt this is the kind of fan complaint some people here find risible, but i should like to see the Kremlings become more prominent again, as well as other aspects of the Rare DK games

nah that's understandable

for all their "we are your friend!" posturing, Nintendo chucks anything that's not a reliable hitmaker under the bus. They're not good to most of their IPs.
    I dunno, it seems like kind of lose-lose situation because every time they do reboot a series people still complain. At any rate many of their IPs get released oftenish just not, like, yearly.
  • The only exceptions I can think of are F-Zero, and Kid Icarus, but for the latter I'd say Uprising is pretty much all the series really needed to do. It did its own thing in a complete, satisfying way.
    Tarot answers the ancient question of whether Medusa has snake pubic hair.

She does.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    now we can all rest easy
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-27 02:10:23

^^ Yes, Smash is camp, but Smash's camp represents itself by putting bunny ears on established characters and using the large roster to create silly situations. Like Captain Falcon fighting Lucina in that one trailer.

And they generally showed restraint with the designs of the other characters. The new gals from Fire Emblem didn't get high heels. Same with the Wii Trainer. Rosalina got her star stand, and Duck Hunt got a pet duck and cowboys, but those are still previously established elements in either their own games or games that they're intentionally referencing, respectively. In short, they usually try to stay within what's canon in the original games. The only major exceptions would be Captain Falcon (and again, the F-Zero verse has space samurai, quirky androids, racing monkeys and octomen; Captain Falcon having fire moves is hardly out of place) and the Up-B shared between all Starfox characters.

Samus doesn't wear heels, outside of Other M. So either Nintendo's giving her a somewhat silly set of boots in a vague attempt to ape Bayonetta, or they're referencing the one game that almost everyone agrees was lame duck
    I am not a fan of the heels either. I like the changes to ZSS's moveset overall, but I feel like they could have been achieved without giving her high heels since you could probably do all of the same kind of stuff with jet boots without heels, rocket shoes (sort of like the ones Shadow has actually), or something else and it would seem a lot less silly.

While I agree that the design choice was not a great one, I think there may be an explanation for why ZSS got different treatment than some other characters in the game. Though Zero Suit Samus is based on bits from a few Metroid games, it seems to me like she is sort of a Smash original character since she did not have a defined moveset before coming to Smash. I think that is probably one of the main reasons why the people making Smash 4 were willing to add the high heeled jet boots to her character when they did not alter the designs of most other characters.

Another possible reason is that the people making Smash decided that ZSS should take after her Other M look because that was the most recent Metroid game, even if it was far from the most popular one. The fact that Smash 4 has some other Other M based Metroid content (e.g., the pyrosphere stage, Ridley's looks) may suggest that there was a conscious choice to put in stuff from that game.

I think Ganondorf (or Falcondorf) is another major exception to the "Smash usually doesn't alter characters much" general principle, considering his moves are detached from basically anything he has ever done in Zelda games. I have seen people say something sort of similar about Wario's moves, actually, though I guess that is more arguable. I feel like you could also make a similar argument about the movesets that Ness and Lucas have, since most of their specials are learned by other characters in their respective games. That said, I think what you said  about Smash rarely deviating from fighters' characterization in their respective games is generally accurate.

As long as we are talking about unneeded stuff we disliked that was put in Smash, I would like to bring up Palutena's side taunt. I honestly find it pretty obnoxious and unnecessary, especially in a game like Smash which does not have a ton of "fanservice" stuff like that.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's true, Warlock Ganondorf is in pretty much none of the actual Zelda games.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Wario's moves mostly have some basis in his games, i think, although i haven't played that many of them . . . the motorbike is from the WarioWare games, the bite attack might be based on his ability to swallow items in Wario World, and his gluttony in WarioWare.  i don't think he ever had a fart-based attack in his games but the WarioWare games do contain a lot of gross out and toilet humour, so it's at least thematically consistent.  The corkscrew attack appears to be based on the spin jump from the Mario series, but named perhaps with a nod to the Corkscrew Conk technique from Wario World.

i kind of wish they'd made Ganondorf a magic and sword user . . . i don't get why he has a Captain Falcon-like moveset.
  • kill living beings
    wario has a motorcycle
    yes

Wario Land 4 is a good game.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-27 02:33:24

Tachyon said:

Wario's moves mostly have some basis in his games, i think, although i haven't played that many of them . . . the motorbike is from the WarioWare games, the bite attack might be based on his ability to swallow items in Wario World, and his gluttony in WarioWare.  i don't think he ever had a fart-based attack in his games but the WarioWare games do contain a lot of gross out and toilet humour, so it's at least thematically consistent.  The corkscrew attack appears to be based on the spin jump from the Mario series, but named perhaps with a nod to the Corkscrew Conk technique from Wario World.

i kind of wish they'd made Ganondorf a magic and sword user . . . i don't get why he has a Captain Falcon-like moveset.

If I remember right, one criticism about Wario's depiction in Smash is that it is too focused on WarioWare and includes very little from the moves he actually uses in the Wario Land series. I think another one is that the gross out humor is less representative of how Wario actually acts in his games and that Smash does not show his greed enough. Your mileage may vary on that though. I do not know enough to say either way.

Apparently, Ganondorf is Falcondorf because "the convenience of him having a body build very similar to Captain Falcon's allowed him to be easily cloned from Captain Falcon, leading to his inclusion as one of the last-minute clones to pad out the roster."

Oddly, Ganondorf actually has a custom move that involves him using his sword. I wonder if there will be more stuff like that in the future.
    Tachyon said:

at a slight tangent

i notice Nintendo have a way of treating the Mario and Zelda titles as a mythology of sorts which they can call back to at any point in any subsequent game

i kind of wish they would do the same with Donkey Kong, and i slightly resent that they have shown more willingness to license that name to other developers with lower quality standards than Nintendo proper

King K. Rool and the Kremlings were as much a part of the old DK series as Bowser and the Koopas are a part of Mario

idk, not important to gameplay i know, no doubt this is the kind of fan complaint some people here find risible, but i should like to see the Kremlings become more prominent again, as well as other aspects of the Rare DK games

That is a sentiment that I think is actually pretty common among DK fans. I know I have seen it among K. Rool fans on smashboards at least.
    Good to know i'm not alone, at least.

Ganondorf's status as a last minute addition explains his Melee moveset, but i don't understand why they've stuck with it when they were willing to make substantial changes to Mario and Luigi's moves, for instance.

You make a good point regarding Wario's moves.  i think the focus on WarioWare might be in an attempt to distance him from the Mario series, as they have attempted to do with Donkey Kong and Yoshi.  i think this is a bit pointless; the series exist within the same universe, i should like to see more interaction between the elements of the spin-offs and the main Mario series, and besides, everyone knows Wario is based on Mario, even his name is only one letter different.  (i think the use of his WarioWare outfit as default might have been, in part, an attempt to distance him from Mario, since his regular outfit is clearly based on Mario's.)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

Wario Land 4 is a good game.

h-h-h-HURRY UP