What text editor do you prefer?

Yes, I'm going to make a thread like this for every category of software I use.

Personally, I'm a Notepad++ fan, on Windows. I haven't found something I like quite as much on Linux, but gedit will do in a pinch.

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I use emacs because I'm a nerd and it works well over ssh
  • I don't do enough coding to necessitate extra features, so I'm usually good with plain ol' Notepad.

I'm probably going to switch to Dreamweaver if I ever do end up learning HTML though. The fact that I learned how it worked in an otherwise useless computer class this year made me kinda partial to it. ^__^
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tre said:

I don't do enough coding to necessitate extra features, so I'm usually good with plain ol' Notepad.

I used to use vanilla Notepad but I've found that, even with relatively simple languages like HTML, syntax highlighting makes things a whole lot easier.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Notepad
    Wordpad
    Sticky Notes
    Notepad++
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-06-05 22:04:28
    Dreamweaver has syntax highlighting. Took me a while to get used to because of old habits that I got into while editing my Tumblr themes, but on the whole I did find it pretty useful.

I'll have to pirate it or rent it from my school if I get it again but that alone would probably justify the action.
  • MICROSOFT WORD
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    naney said:

MICROSOFT WORD

My pet peeve in programming classes was always TAs who wanted answers submitted as Word documents.

MICROSOFT WORD IS NOT A TEXT EDITOR
  • I use Metapad.

It's simple and lightweight, but also fully-featured for a basic text editor, unlike default Notepad.

On Linux I use gedit.
    When I tried Metapad it felt a bit Windows 98-ish for my tastes

Granted, I like dated-feeling software sometimes, but not when I just want to get something done
  • edited 2015-06-05 23:17:20
    What do you use Notepad++ for and why do you use Notepad++ for it?

I mean I like Metapad because while it feels barebones it does so in a way that's very light and responsive and all the bones are meticulously there so some of the most important features to me -- such as Ctrl+Backspace being able to delete words -- are all there.

I use it primarily to read, write, and edit text files.  Maybe your usage is different?  I hear that Notepad++ supports syntax coloring based on various programming languages.

Actually, does Notepad++ handle unusual characters well?  Metapad doesn't.
    I do a little bit of coding, yes, so like I said, having syntax highlighting is nice.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Emacs.
  • kill living beings
    emacs

i watched someone open a dll in wordpad today
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Either notepad, gedit or vim, depending on which machine I'm on and what I'm doing with the file.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    notepad, motherfuckers
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    notepad++ 'til the day they carry me off other text editors BTFO
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    emacs

i watched someone open a dll in wordpad today
    Emacs.
    I use emacs because I'm a nerd and it works well over ssh
    Well that's a good choice, but I actually prefer ermacs

latest