Traditional Games

From your backgammon to your chess to your checkers to your go and shogi, whatever. Here by popular demand because this deity got bored.
Tagged:

Comments

• who else really enjoys checkers despite its reputation as a simpleton's game
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    In addition to my mention of Backgammon in the other thread, I'd also rather enjoy getting back into Cribbage. It's been years since I played and I barely remember the rules, but I really appreciate how well it works even if you only have two people to play. 
  • I don't know how to play backgammon, despite acquiring a backgammon travel set at some point early in my life.

Also never really played much in the way of checkers for some reason.  Even though the travel chess set doubled as travel checkers.

My childhood games were Chinese checkers, Chinese chess, and chess.  And board games like Monopoly (which turned out to be a really boring game after the first fifteen minutes) and Risk.
  • Also, mahjong is basically the Chinese cultural equivalent of poker.

It's a gambling game for four players.  A fast-paced game where you keep on drawing [s]cards[/s] tiles and cycling through the [s]deck[/s]...whatever those rows of tiles are called, in order to try to complete [s]hands[/s] sets, in the form of runs and three- (or four-) of-a-kinds.

Winning involves making enough sets, but since it's a gambling game, a generic set where you just have an assortment of sets gets you the least amount of prize money, and you get more prize money if you win with other conditions, such as all runs, or all the same suit, or all the special tiles, or something.  Heck, some people even bar winning by the generic set (which has a nickname that I think means something akin to "eating chicken soup").

It can be played without gambling, but again, some people insist on gambling.

It should NOT be confused with mahjong solitaire, which is a tile-matching game where you're basically trying to "unlock" more tiles to be matched.  This was something invented much later, and can be played with any number of layouts.  I once binged on freeware implementations of this.

Software implementations of mahjong solitaire are far more common than software implementations of mahjong for some reason.

I remember looking for a freeware Windows mahjong game but failing to find one.  It exists for Linux, though -- I got one on my Linux Mint VM.
  • edited 2015-05-05 11:23:06
    Actually, here's the one I found for Linux.  Apparently it works for Windows too.  http://mahjong.julianbradfield.org/

Seems pretty good.

And it looks like what I know as "touched it by oneself" is more properly termed as "winning from wall".  (Basically it means winning by drawing one's winning tile rather than relying on someone else to produce it.  It's one of many win conditions that gives points.)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Connect Four, motherfuckers
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Connect Four, motherfuckers

solved game, dude

(for that matter so is checkers)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Lots of games are solved. Who carez
  • what variants of mancala have been solved?
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Does Mao counts as TG?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    anyways, the best connect n game is Connect6
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I wonder if anyone's made real rules for Paisho.
  • Buttwangs said:

Does Mao counts as TG?

penalty card to you

penalty card to me for quoting your post
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    UnU
  • so, Library (or Magic I've also heard it called but that causes confusion for obvious reasons), is this a known thing or is this local? I was talking to someone about it on twitter last night and they'd never heard of it.

You start with a card in the center of the table and everyone has five cards. You go clockwise and everyone takes a turn putting a card on the pile, but any time anyone puts a card down that matches the rank (2-10 plus royals and aces) of a card anywhere below it on the pile, you can take it and you get a certain amount of points based on what was in the pile that you took.

It was a fun game, played it a lot in middle school. I think it might be the game Uno is based off of?