forums and social networking sites should be plaintext, no embedding

edited 2015-04-23 00:20:09 in General
fixed-width font, no automarkup

and definitely DO NOT do things like automatically numbered lists so that when i put "3." at the beginning of a line it turns it into a numbered list starting with "1." instead

tools for making ASCII art, ASCII tables, etc. should be provided

this makes forums as accessible to as many people as possible

rather than making it the domain of people with recent browsers that can run all that nonsense

STOP TRYING TO BE OH SO CLEVER AND "HELPING" ME DO TYPE WHAT I WANT TO TYPE

I'D RATHER BE IN CONTROL OF EXACTLY EVERYTHING I TYPE

EXACTLY EVERYTHING THAT I TYPE SHOULD DISPLAY
NOTHING LESS
NOTHING MORE
IT'S THAT SIMPLE

of course the two exceptions would be BBCode and HTML markup.

but if BBCode is used, everything outside of BBCode tags should be left as-is

and if you're gonna use HTML at least be consistent, please, and force everyone to learn to use <br> tags

can't we just have one or a few standardized ways of doing things that apply everywhere, rather than every place trying to do its own weird unique thing

well at least multiple linebreaks in a row works here *coughcoughDISCOURSEcoughcough*

Comments

• Instead of Facebook being horribly bloated and slow, can we just have it be showing messages and replies?  No more embedding videos and previews of websites.  People should learn to simply read URLs to figure out what their likely contents are.  I mean, really, posting Wikipedia page previews?  Those are the easiest to figure out.

Chat can be opened in a separate window, like Steam Community's webchat.
  • well i gotta say im really glad that you dont do any web design for any sites i go on
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Fixed-width typefaces are good for code...and little else. They're not very easy to read.
  • That's why I like pretty fixed-width fonts.  Like Monofur.
  • naney said:

well i gotta say im really glad that you dont do any web design for any sites i go on

Well I'm okay with websites themselves looking pretty.  Though that should follow a few rules:
    1. minimal use of animated gifs (and webms)
    2. don't use java applets or flash unless there's a special thing that needs it (e.g. if there's an interactive game thing that's the point of the page) -- and don't put it on a homepage unless that's the whole point of the site.
    3. all elements on a standard webpage (barring special elements like flash) must be compatible with standard navigation and context menu functions, such as highlighting and copying text.  (exceptions may be made for web apps that are specifically made to imitate other things such as Google Docs but those should ideally have a "safe space" where one can still access such features, rather than overriding them for the entire page.)
  • This is the dumbest thing I have read today, and, unfortunately, I have read many dumb things today.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    This is the dumbest thing I have read today, and, unfortunately, I have read many dumb things today.
    What a waste it is to lose one’s mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

This is the dumbest thing I have read today, and, unfortunately, I have read many dumb things today.

I can top it, if you want. Just give me a sec to scan Tumblr.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I can top it, if you want. Just give me a sec to scan Tumblr.
    The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation’s history. I mean in this century’s history. But we all lived in this century. I didn’t live in this century
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Panurge said:

What a waste it is to lose one’s mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
    this sounds like something Cadpig would say
  • edited 2015-04-23 00:19:49

I'm just sick of auto-markup messing up the formatting of my posts and "guessing" (frequently wrongly) what I want to write or type.

I'm also sick of having to work around said auto-markup to make my posts look the way they should.
  • This is the dumbest thing I have read today, and, unfortunately, I have read many dumb things today.

I'm just sick of auto-markup messing up the formatting of my posts and "guessing" (frequently wrongly) what I want to write or type.

I'm also sick of having to work around said auto-markup to make my posts look the way they should.
    dud you just press one button and you can work with plain HTML boom
  • this is literally the weirdest complaint

it's like if someone was complaining about the fact that CDs have tracks 
  • edited 2015-04-23 00:53:20
    naney said:

dud you just press one button and you can work with plain HTML boom
    I'm complaining more about a certain other forum that uses Discourse as its forum engine.

On that forum, inserting new lines in my raw post data doesn't insert new lines in the displayed post.  And typing "#." to start a line (where # is any number other than 1) will cause the line to become a numbered list, starting at 1 (regardless of the number I typed).

As for the thing here, there's the issue where if I copy and paste stuff from comment box back into itself, it'll suddenly screw up a bunch of newlines in messy ways that I'll have to clean up by going into the HTML or using notepad as a "medium" and pasting/recopying there first.  The latter is actually the easier solution.

The HTML view here is actually decent, though it has one issue, which is that linebreaks in there also count as linebreaks in the post, rather than being ignored the way they would be if you put them into an HTML file and loaded it up in a browser.  I think this may actually be what's happening in the copy/paste bug -- it somehow copies the linebreaks as well.  The WYSIWYG editor doesn't show them, but the finished post does.
  • edited 2015-04-23 00:57:13
    Also I'm always an advocate of giving people the raw tools to compose and edit text rather than relying on automarkup.

I like simplicity where there are few features but they are very robust and rarely ever break.  Much better than making things look pretty but hard to work with.  Unless they're designed as static set-pieces.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i, too, miss usenet