My tolerance for mean humor

I'm not sure it was ever that high to begin with, but I'm worried my fairly low tolerance is bad

like I don't think being mean to children is funny for one thing

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Being mean to children can be funny only because children are themselves mean little bastards.

But, I agree that mean humor is not all that tolerable. And it's too prevalent these days.
  • Being mean to children is like being mean to small animals.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Being mean to adults who can fight back is just plain fun, though.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-04-03 02:08:22

I do not think having a low tolerance for mean humor is a bad thing at all, really. While I feel like good natured teasing has its place, it seems to me that humor that lets you laugh with people is far more fulfilling that humor that involves laughing at people, at least in part because you do not have to look down on anyone to do the former.

Also, I think humor can often be used as a justification for being cruel or offensive just for the sake of being cruel or offensive (e.g., pranks, "non PC" jokes) and so I guess I do not personally buy into the idea that saying something is a joke automatically makes things okay that ordinarly would not be.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I often feel that mean "humor" is just an excuse to be mean without having to take any blame for being mean. 

I'm "mean" to my roommates, but it's good-natured on both sides. It would sound mean to a bystander, but we're both having a lot of fun with it. I don't think that's mean humor because there's no actual meanness meant or interpreted in it. That's different. 
  • I'm not sure it was ever that high to begin with, but I'm worried my fairly low tolerance is bad

like I don't think being mean to children is funny for one thing
    It's not bad, at all.

I enthusiastically endorse your low tolerance of mean humor.

I don't like mean humor either.