Kaiba

An anime directed by Masaaki Yuasa, a name better known in the anime fandom than to me.

I am on the fourth episode now, I find the story interesting, but it seemed to get off to kind of a slow start. It's full of interesting visuals though.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You're actually just starting to hit the serious plot here. But yeah, it's really good.

Yuasa is interesting in that his style is not one of particular design aesthetics—although there are subtle continuities—but of how things are animated and how they relate to their models. It's like John K without the cranky misanthropy.
  • kill living beings
    i liked the cyberpunk setting with complete lack of cyberpunk aesthetic elements. pretty good
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well I remember reading that Yuasa cited Tex Avery as an influence...

Also, the show at this point seems to be more about other characters than it is about Kaiba himself. I still feel sad about Chroniko's death and her body seemingly being abandoned
  • kill living beings
    it kind of goes as an episodic travel thing for a while, and then plot
    ^^ I still find the conclusion to that episode painful to watch.
    Chroniko's body is back

also those bright colors at the start of the following episode where people are making funny facial expressions and stuff seem kind of parodic

or, like that one artist who painted these vivid depictions of what he thought the jungle was like

who was that again?
    Henri Rousseau, and yes, there is a hint of that. It's an Eunyoung Choi episode; her style is distinctive in itself.

There is definitely a satirical bent, but that's more in the content of the episode than the style. One facilitates the other, however.
    one of the bodies in the body factory looks like a precursor of Pearl from Steven Universe
    watching the sixth episode now

do Patch and Quilt ever show up again?
  • kill living beings
    hm, i don't think they do.
    I can't tell

Is Vanilla a good guy now or not

Also "A Muscular Woman" is one of the best titles for anything ever
  • as in real life, people are not so clearly delineated
    NOOOO THE MEMORY CHIPS
    I do wonder why it took until episode 8 to get all the way back to the revolutionaries though
  • kill living beings
    well you start with the revolutionaries so you're like wow this is exciting, wtf is happening? then they do an episodic travel section, introducing you to the world, etc. but leaving some hints to things so you're always looking for why the revolutionaries are doing what they're doing and all, and then you come back to the revolutionaries and you're like oh! wow!
    So

Why doesn't Neiro want her old memories back? Doesn't she still love Warp/Kaiba?

Is Kaiba going to be a good leader?
  • Hyo-Hyo and Neiro are now distinct entities, they aren't the same person anymore
    I knew that, I just wondered if the memories were too painful...

I admit, I do kind of dislike that the world building mostly got thrown out and replaced with this

It spent half of its run not focusing on this, it feels weird that it didn't really transition back to it more gradually
    I know Kaiba and Neiro's relationship was the big overarching theme, and I like the way that was handled, but the revolutionaries got reintroduced way too awkwardly