THIS IS the story of a girl

who cried a river and drowned the whole world

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    and now everyone is dead, what an asshole
  • CalicaCalica
    cries a river, drowns the whole world, laughs evilly
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    /me cries a river, drowns the whole world, laughs evilly
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You people aren't singing

Don't make me get Meredith's rifle
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Aw man, I love that song!
  • Sredni VashtarSredni Vashtar
    rolls eyes, whistles the guitar solo.
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    /me rolls eyes, whistles the guitar solo.
    Sorry CA, but ever since Crystal threatened to break that rifle i just can't seem to muster up any fear of Centralian authority.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have no liking for this song.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

Sorry CA, but ever since Crystal threatened to break that rifle i just can't seem to muster up any fear of Centralian authority.

Well, that backfired. :\
    This is the story of a (pause) insufficiently well-planned propaganda campaign and the unforeseen effects it can have on PR.
  • BUT WHILE SHE LOOKS SO SAD IN PHOTOGRAPHS

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HER

WHEN SHE SMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILES
    lol, I just realized I used my 1990s tag when this song is from 2000

why didn't anybody rub my mistake in my face???
  • because i seem to be the only one who actually likes this song and even then not really enough to know when it was made
    i don't actually dislike the song, i just felt like making a cheap and obvious joke.

Nobody noticed the tag mistake because it sounds like a 1990s song.  Late 1990s and early 2000s tend to blur together for me, anyway.
  • I like it too, but I was only 3/4 when it released

so
    i was 10, but i didn't follow pop music or listen to the radio back then.
  • you  were only 3/4 as in 3/4 of a year or as in 3-4 years
    I was 10 as well

I didn't follow pop music per se but I heard this song a lot
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this was during my "holy crap, pop music actually sucks" realization phase
  • this one is good tho
  • edited 2014-12-01 04:50:48
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's no "Don't Stop Believin'"
    It's... hm.  It's one of those songs that has a very clean, polished sound to it, a catchy hook and an uplifting mood.  It's the kind of thing you listen to when you just want to feel a particular way.  Or you can dance to it.  It comes on the radio and you can nod along and sing along and tap your feet.

It's not really a rocker, though.  i wouldn't expect someone like Imi to be impressed.
  • i actually never liked that song :T

*prepares for throttling*
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I was eight. It was on the radio a lot, particularly when I was in the van going to summer camp. I have mixed feelings about that period in my life, to say the least, but I don't mind the song. It's kind of frivolous and paint-by-numbers and the metaphors are mixed, but it is almost preternaturally catchy.
    Don't Stop Believin' is a proper anthem.  i'm not sure what's to dislike.
    i don't mean that in a negative way, either.  It's everything a power ballad should be.
  • its not that i dislike it

its ok

but its not like super special awesome or anything
    i dunno, i feel like Don't Stop Believin' is the kind of song that stands out by virtue of sheer catchiness and anthemic quality.

Absolutely (Story of a Girl) is memorable, but it's more subdued in that regard, it doesn't have quite the same oomph.

• did someone say ANTHEMIC!?!?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I still listen to Nine Days with some regularity. All of their work, not just this song.
  • lol, I just realized I used my 1990s tag when this song is from 2000

why didn't anybody rub my mistake in my face???

Well, that doesn't change the fact the 90s existed, does it
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I didn't even notice the 1990s tag and I also wouldn't've noticed that it was a 2000 song because the early 2000s aren't that different from the late 1990s
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Much like up until grunge broke into the mainstream the early '90s were basically just the late '80s.
  • I don't think I've ever heard this song (well, before I looked it up just now).
    I wonder when the 2000s stopped being the late 1990s, anyway.
  • The dotcom crash, for me.
    For me, I'd say it was sometime in 2002. The 2000s and the 1990s were kind of mushed together for me due to brain issues. :P
    i wasn't internet enough to be aware of the dotcom crash in 2000.

i think 9/11 was a turning point, in that the overall mood of the time took a definite pessimistic shift after that.
  • i was too 6 years old to be aware of the year 200 really
    That would explain a lot actually
  • shit i've been found out
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    Despite only being 9, I'll always remember New Years 99/00. Mainly because both me and my father were ill at the time and my mother still insisted we all went out to see the firework display our tiny village put on at midnight.

It was a very miserable half hour before going home and back to bed