Did the RTE change lately?

BeeBee
edited 2014-09-08 12:57:51 in Site Talk
When making my liveblog post last night, it told me I was 2000 characters over limit for content that was already somewhat shorter than some previous ones.  I poked into the source and found what can only be described as a train wreck of superfluous HTML.  I wound up saving over 1000 characters just by removing wrapper divs from br tags, and even got it to outright leak tags upon experimenting.

Did we change the rich text editor lately?  I had to be pretty painfully laconic in addition to tediously crawling and trimming source text just to do stuff that my first few posts had no issue with.

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-09-08 16:57:06
    No.  The only pastes I did were plaintext youtube URLs, and a previous entry's header section to edit the text without messing with formatting.  I can see that getting wrapped just to be on the safe side, but everything else was in-editor.

I mean there's no reason to ever wrap a br.  It kind of defeats the point.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What browser was this? I've found it works better with some than others...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    We did switch from CLEditor to TinyMCE for a few minutes a couple of months ago, but I went to check the character limit - it's still 10000.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I wonder if upgrading to the latest CLEditor would fix anything.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-09-08 18:21:38
    Chrome.

I was reasonably sure it wasn't a character limit reduction or anything.  It's possible the repasted header is causing some kind of mode flip or something where it gets paranoid and wraps ALL THE THINGS.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    CLEditor does weird things in Chrome sometimes, and I'm pretty sure most of them are attributable to how Chrome handles WYSIWYG editing in an <iframe>.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-09-08 20:21:06
    Hmm.  I've been doing the entries in Chrome because I like having one browser that does retain logins/cookies (my FF is incognito because lol coding with a browser cache on), but I'll try in FF next time and see if it's any better.

IE can still go die in a hole.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-12-12 08:05:15
    Okay, I know it's doing something now.  I tabbed out for a few seconds while thinning down an entry that was about 200 characters over, then when I came back in suddenly it was 25000 characters over.  I inspected the html and it had wasted over 30000 characters wrapping every single line break in both a div and a <span style="hilarious shit tons of stuff">.

This happened when I wasn't substantively adding anything.  And when I hit remove formatting, it tried to interpret a paragraph of text as a custom tag.  Like, <it was="" really="" stupid="" shit="" like="" this=""></it>

I wound up spending almost as long regexing the raw source to trim out that kind of crap as I did writing it in the first place.