Everything I like is retro

edited 2014-08-23 23:12:35 in General
It's just something I noticed about myself.

I mostly like music from the 60s-70s or else bands that carry on in a similar style (e.g. stoner rock, that kinda thing).

The only video games I play are at least a decade old, most likely from the 16-bit era. Or else ones that aim for a similar style (AM2R, SMBX, etc.)

If I watch a movie, it's probably pre-2000. 80s-era sci-fi/fantasy movies appeal to me.

Out of the 200 or so books on my shelves, about a half-dozen were published within the last 10 years.

Am I just an old fossil or is there some deeper reason

Comments

• edited 2014-08-23 23:17:13

it means that

you like certain things, and things that fit your preferences were released much more often in certain times in the past and are rarer in the present
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Stoner-doom may carry on some '70s traditions, but it is very much a modern genre that could not have existed without developments like sludge metal before it. So that's something.

But that is an interesting trend.
  • edited 2014-08-23 23:18:26
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^^well that's disappointing, that's not psychologically mystical bullshit at all!

^sorta true, yah
    naney said:

it means that

you like certain things, and things that fit your preferences were released much more often in certain times in the past and are rarer in the present

Yes, this.
    It's good to know what you like, in any case.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm becoming an old fossil myself

what with my recent obsession with ancient cartoons (of which I have always been fond, but still)
  • "I didn't leave the Democratic Party media industry; the Democratic Party media industry trends left me!"
  • Frankly speaking, I share your tastes in games, and I don't feel bad at all.  I feel that the world of 2D games has tons of untapped potential, and merely gets ignored mostly because people just keep wanting stuff that looks really great/is 3D/looks like a movie/etc. and thus looks down on games whose graphical development process was shorter or budget smaller.

In complete honesty, I really do feel that my tastes haven't changed while other people's tastes and the industry's trends did move away from me, and I don't feel bad about holding my ground when it comes to my tastes.  If anything, I'm critical of the turn toward budget-breaking graphics developments and demands for hyper-realism (which are often coupled with violent, gory content).

It does get awkward when I'm thrown into a discussion with other gamers, though, since more "mainstream" gamers these days have likely played a bunch of games that I have barely heard the names of, and thus we likely wouldn't have much to talk about.
  • I bought a CD from Amazon today via my mother and my favorite video games are a washed-up 90s mascot platformer series

I was born in the wrong era :P
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I was one of those people who enjoyed Mr. Peabody & Sherman...
  • I probably will, too, once the damned thing lands on DVD

My family already watched it through Perfectly Legal Means, but the recording sucked and I figured I'd watch that one legally anyway because DreamWorks
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    all right I ventured into 80s music today. cool

now I just wanna make my guitar sound like that
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It sounds almost like they're doubling it with a synth pad...
    yeah...
  • edited 2014-08-25 18:46:17
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm pretty sure that's a combination of light flanging, distortion or overdrive, and fairly subtle reverb and echo effects. Distinctive, but less difficult than it sounds.
    I figured it was chorused, but I couldn't get quite the right combination of effects.

Well, I'll keep trying
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-08-25 23:11:10

It's just something I noticed about myself.

I mostly like music from the 60s-70s or else bands that carry on in a similar style (e.g. stoner rock, that kinda thing).

The only video games I play are at least a decade old, most likely from the 16-bit era. Or else ones that aim for a similar style (AM2R, SMBX, etc.)

If I watch a movie, it's probably pre-2000. 80s-era sci-fi/fantasy movies appeal to me.

Out of the 200 or so books on my shelves, about a half-dozen were published within the last 10 years.

Am I just an old fossil or is there some deeper reason

I mean no offense with this comment, but I am sort of surprised you only recently made this realization. I figured liking retro stuff was sort of one of your main traits.

Anywho, I think there is nothing wrong with preferring certain media over others, so long as you do not act elitist about it or talk about how the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc. were so much better than today.

I also do not think you are in bad company. Plenty of people like classic music if radio stations are any indication and games like Shovel Knight seem to show that there is a demand for retro style games.

Frankly speaking, I share your tastes in games, and I don't feel bad at all.  I feel that the world of 2D games has tons of untapped potential, and merely gets ignored mostly because people just keep wanting stuff that looks really great/is 3D/looks like a movie/etc. and thus looks down on games whose graphical development process was shorter or budget smaller.

In complete honesty, I really do feel that my tastes haven't changed while other people's tastes and the industry's trends did move away from me, and I don't feel bad about holding my ground when it comes to my tastes.  If anything, I'm critical of the turn toward budget-breaking graphics developments and demands for hyper-realism (which are often coupled with violent, gory content).

It does get awkward when I'm thrown into a discussion with other gamers, though, since more "mainstream" gamers these days have likely played a bunch of games that I have barely heard the names of, and thus we likely wouldn't have much to talk about.

I agree with you about focusing too much on graphics being a bad thing for games. I am not wild about the budgets for some "AAA" games being so high that anything less than millions and millions of sales is failure. That said, I feel like companies care a lot more about independent developers now than previously, so I am not sure if the modern gaming environment is really as bad as this comment makes it out to be.

Honestly, I think you and Imipolex G might enjoy New Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, and other modern releases that harken back to the SNES days. Of course, there is definitely a chance that our tastes differ here, I tend to prefer newer games to older ones after all.
    I vaguely knew that I was like this for a long time, but didn't consciously think about it until recently.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I play DCSS in ASCII graphics mode

That should tell you how much I care about gorphics
    See, I don't go that far
  • I play Nethack in ASCII, but that's because (1) it's just more convenient (it can be played on any computer with telnet capability), (2) there's an online Nethack server that uses ASCII and has a whole community built around it (and effectively has cloud saving too!), and (3) there are a number of jokes that depend on using ASCII glyphs to represent things.
    LW said:

I agree with you about focusing too much on graphics being a bad thing for games. I am not wild about the budgets for some "AAA" games being so high that anything less than millions and millions of sales is failure. That said, I feel like companies care a lot more about independent developers now than previously, so I am not sure if the modern gaming environment is really as bad as this comment makes it out to be.

Honestly, I think you and Imipolex G might enjoy New Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, and other modern releases that harken back to the SNES days. Of course, there is definitely a chance that our tastes differ here, I tend to prefer newer games to older ones after all.

I agree that the world of gaming is much more diverse than the picture I painted there, even the world of commercial gaming.  And the rise of indie game development has only helped matters.  There's a lot of drama and turbulence going on, but the indie games (including -- but not limited to -- both "casual" and "retro" sorts of games) as well as digital distribution are gradually causing a change for the better for the industry as a whole.

One interesting hunch I have is that a lot of us who grew up on 8- and 16-bit games have gradually been coming of age, and now that we're adults, we have incomes and can spend our money on games that make use of those older styles that could have so many more interesting developments that people haven't done yet.

As for NSMB, DKCR/DKCTF, and SM3DW, I would likely have gotten those games if I had the systems for them.  I don't, though, and am basically a PC gamer now albeit with stereotypically "console" tastes (specifically "old console")...so I guess I'm thankful that there are a profusion of indie devs that have made interesting PC games, as well as companies like Falcom whose work for the PC is gradually being translated and released in the west, and whose games are basically top-quality incarnations of classic genres such as the Zelda-like 3D platformer (Ys Oath and Ys Origin) and the turn-based JRPG (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky).