Zoe Quinn: The Full Story

Comments

• Honestly, that should have tipped everyone off immediately.

No reviewer would choose sex over the delectable taste of the dorito dew.
  • EDIT: you know what, never mind. I don't feel like talking about this anymore.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Honestly, that should have tipped everyone off immediately.

No reviewer would choose sex over the delectable taste of the dorito dew.
    Indeed. Real girls are gross.
  • So, in conclusion, my opinions > their opinions. Cool. That sucks.
  • Kexruct said:

So, in conclusion, my opinions > their opinions. Cool. That sucks.

uh what?
  • I don't like being in the position where I know I'm right but They Just Don't Get It.
  • kill living beings
    the heck are u talkin bout
  • This thread was prompted because I was fishing for support because I got into an argument with a friend.

I'd prefer not to be in a position where I butt heads over something like this.
  • Wilhelm said:

it's pretty amazing that in an industry where developers have actually paid money to journalists in exchange for favorable reviews, that we're focusing on a case where no money was exchanged and no articles were written.

• TreTre
    edited 2014-08-22 19:52:01
    I'm only tangentially familiar with the Zoe Quinn situation, but apparently Phil Fish and Polytron are in a similar predicament; the company itself got severely hacked, forcing Phil to place Polytron (and Fez) up for sale.

I won't justify Phil's past behavior, but even he didn't deserve that. 0_0
  • edited 2014-08-22 19:58:25
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    And they attacked Quinn, too. But this is really some twisted bullshit. You stick up for someone being accused of nasty things with little evidence and definite misogynist animus behind it and you have your company website compromised. Huh.

Gee, doesn't this make the people talking about how much of an awful slut Quinn is look so credible? Wow! I am totally convinced that you don't have a massive chip on your shoulder now!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Just to put the other side out there, here's some person and others disagreeing, saying that the hacking was faked. Make of it what you will.
  • Renaud Bédard (the other guy working at Polytron during Fez's development development) said it was both the website and Polytron's corporate Dropbox account that got breached, and the Dropbox was the source of the clandestine information that was posted on the website later on (Phil's personal passwords, etc.), so I have a feeling that it's legitimate.

At least there's a possibility the new IP holder could create a sequel...
  • edited 2014-08-22 20:16:39
    ^^ While I do not entirely blame them for thinking that Fish would try to come up with a dramatic excuse to get out of the industry entirely, it smacks of conspiracy theorising. One would require several people working in concert to fake an incident for the sake of sympathy; the other only requires one sufficiently skilled, ill-intentioned individual.

Ockham's Razor, folks.

And really, isn't the assumption of bad faith on the part of the possible victim of a crime kind of fucked up? I mean, that's what they were accusing Quinn of at one point, wasn't it?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    "Oh, it's all faked!" has been a recurring accusation. See: "Quinn faked all the harassment she got!"
  • edited 2014-08-22 20:20:24
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tre said:

Renaud Bédard (the other guy working at Polytron during Fez's development development) said it was both the website and Polytron's corporate Dropbox account that got breached, and the Dropbox was the source of the clandestine information that was posted on the website later on (Phil's personal passwords, etc.), so I have a feeling that it's legitimate.

At least there's a possibility the new IP holder could create a sequel...

While I do not entirely blame them for thinking that Fish would try to come up with a dramatic excuse to get out of the industry entirely, it smacks of conspiracy theorising. One would require several people working in concert to fake an incident for the sake of sympathy; the other only requires one sufficiently skilled, ill-intentioned individual.

Ockham's Razor, folks.
    For the record, I really did not want to imply I believed that. I'm of the opinion that, as long as we're talking about this, both arguments should at least be presented; but how all sides are presented is quite different. The anti-Quinn faction is, to say the least, fairly unnerving most of the time. It's better to put out both sides, and actually reason them out, than to dismiss them out of hand (which no one did, though this is more of a general statement).

The argument is certainly a questionable one, no matter how you look at it.

^ See my first paragraph. I think the "Quinn faked all the harassment she got!" argument is pretty much bull, and this... well, I like to think my remarks up there have made myself clear.
  • edited 2014-08-22 20:21:56
    Again, it's the same double-standard assumption of bad faith upheld by people who want an excuse to say horrible things about a woman in a male-dominated industry because she is female.

^ I never meant to imply as much, just address the accusation.
  • edited 2014-08-22 20:23:29
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Well, yeah. I even talked about the male-dominated nonsense in my first post here. I figured "Hm, this is a thing I could see showing up in the thread, and it's only a matter of time before it spreads further. Why not link it?" Not that I actually believed it.

^ Okay, my misunderstanding. Sorry about that.
  • These fucking assholes are going after Phil Fish for the wrong reasons.

Fucking idiots.
  • They should be going after him for his comments about JRPGs.  Not this silly non-scandal.

#theonlyoneallowedtodefeatyou
  • kill living beings
    oh what did he say about that

i ask because anything is more interesting than no she faked getting outed as faking a hack to fake the fake fake mc fakerson
  • Phil Fish (and Johnathan Blow, developer of Braid) have said that games developed in Japan are joyless unplayable husks, I believe is the exact quote.
  • phil fish is such a fun guy
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Aw man, I misread Glenn's comment and thought Phil Fish was bad-mouthing jpeg's which would have been even more interesting if it were true.
  • kill living beings
    lol nice

such a fun guy indeed
  • But he's not racist because he cares about the Ferguson protests.
    Being an asshole doesn't mean you're an asshole about everything. Everybody has some kind of standard, even if that standard is "I do what I want."
    So about this whole debacle: COUNTERSTRIKE, MOTHERFUCKERS.
  • kill living beings
    i love how they always name these things after video games

virtuous mission, the metal gear solid 3 mission that fails so hard it causes the entire rest of the game, including a nuclear explosion and the unjust death of your mentor
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I read that Storify and had the RoboCop theme playing in my head the whole time. Totally awesome.
  • So about this whole debacle: COUNTERSTRIKE, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Damn, dude.
  • edited 2014-09-06 14:57:37
    So Quinn's ex was colluding with MRAs and 4channers to smear and screw over her and her friends and yet somehow these supposed elite hacker types, these great minds of mayhem, failed to realise that their IRC channel where they were discussing these potentially quite illegal activities might be watched.

Brilliant.
  • kill living beings
    well, that's how it usually goes. the same thing happened when some minecraft nerds ddossed espernet last year. it's not hard to find people.
  • This also pretty thoroughly removes any doubt that this was ever about anything other than harassing Zoe Quinn for no reason.
    Well, it's more specific than that: It's petty revenge by someone who could not let go of the past who decided to recruit a bunch of people with really twisted personal agendas to help him act this little vendetta out in the most dramatic and destructive way possible.
  • Well yes but that's ultimately what made other people care about it.

They were mad that this girl with funny hair made a game where you don't shoot anything or jump on anything, and they were mad that people liked that game, and that it was made by a woman, god forbid. If that underlying resentment wasn't there in the first place, that shitstain's antics wouldn't have done anything.
    Oh, absolutely. Which is the twisted set of personal agendas of which I speak.
    "We had to hack Phil Fish because he made a mistake. Now it's time to erase that mistake." –all of these logs, in a nutshell
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Why would you need to hack Phil Fish? He's a hack already.

:^)
    I just saw a tweet saying the IRC conversations are "fringe" and that the movement is still about "integrity". 

Yeah, pull the other one, it has bells on.
  • Man, and I was giving the ex the benefit of doubt. But no, he was just as manipulative as everyone else thought he was.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm afraid I'm gonna have to partially eat my words from earlier in the thread.

Although I'm still pretty sure he wasn't the direct mastermind behind this effort, the fact that he had any amount of coordination with it damages any argument you could make for him.

I'm sorry for causing conflict over something that wasn't true in the end.
  • edited 2014-09-06 21:38:59
    So I just went and typed up a summary of my opinion on this whole thing.

http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/discussion/12542/thoughts-on-the-zoe-quinn-controversy-gamergate-the-death-of-gamer-culture-etc-/p1

TL;DR tons of much ado about nothing. this changes pretty much nothing about gaming. i'm just gonna sit here and wait for it to blow over. if you don't want me to do that, convince me why i should care.
    From what I've heard, Depression Quest is actually quite good, but also not very traditional and more of a "this is what it's like to be depressed" educational tool.
  • I've read mixed reviews from people who claim to suffer from depression (I phrase it this way since these are just reviews I've seen online and I have no way of saying whether they're being truthful).  Some say that it didn't reflect their experiences, while others say it did.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Well, that's kinda the thing about depression. It's hardly a universal thing that's always the same.