why is the violence in those HBO/HBO-style "serious television" shows so disturbing

2»

Comments

• I get that there are reasons that you like GoT, and I trust your opinions and tastes to such a high degree that I will absolutely believe your word when you say that the show is good with character development and beautiful dialogue

but that really doesn't relate at all to what my problem is
  • edited 2014-08-22 00:28:29
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ That is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say.

Although I do concede that I am being touchy because it's something that I like that's being misrepresented rather than something that I have no feelings about.

^ Neither does what anyone else in this thread has been saying. I was responding to them.
  • edited 2014-08-22 00:30:06

to clarify, this whole thread started when i was so incredibly bored that i was just going through imgur and i saw a rather intensely upsetting series of gifs from GoT, which reminded me of two series of gifs I saw from American Horror Story which provoked a very similar reaction from me, which is not something that I am made to feel easily.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    To answer what you originally asked: While I think that the usual point of the violence is, again, to evoke horror and disgust - and more subtly, make various points about the characters involved and the world that they live in - people react to this in different ways. Sometimes I find the reactions to graphic violence a lot more repellent than the violence itself...
    Not sure about why it's "in" now, other than that producers have gotten very cynical about what draws attention in media. I mean, even if that's not the point, it will get backed because it feeds that cycle.
  • edited 2014-08-22 00:34:26

it's not disgust that i feel exactly (well it kinda is a wee bit but i can deal with that)

it's a deep sense of utter wrongness that i cannot quite describe, a sort of affrontment to the way things should be

that's no way to kill someone, and it's doing is certainly not something to be celebrated
  • Am I making any sense?
    Yes.

What happened, exactly? I don't need any excessive details, but it might help me get some perspective here.
  • it was some dude who got molten metal poured on his head

i'm not saying the dude was a great guy or that he deserved to live or anything, like for all i know he could have been some sort of mass murdering baby eating fratricidal lunatic

but there was something about the whole thing that set me off
  • edited 2014-08-22 00:55:20
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Funnily enough, I know of that scene, but it's from the only season that I have not seen.

There is a lot of context there in terms of why that happens, and the guy in question is indeed an extremely horrible person, but it's not exactly a "good thing." I mean, that he's dead is a good thing, but... yeah.

It's supposed to illustrate that this one character's benefactor is simultaneously devoted to her and incredibly brutal at the same time. Explaining it past that would take a while...
  • Mostly I just can't watch GoT because of the complete dearth of likeable or even semi-relatable characters I can bring myself to give a damn about.  In any other setting, these assholes would be nommed by a sharktopus while we eat popcorn.
    I can see being put off by the sheer number of people like that in the show, but I felt that I could at least sympathise with a good portion of the cast even when they aren't particularly nice people. Sandor Clegane is a good example of that, and the way that the show develops his character through his interactions with Arya is just beautiful writing.

But then, different strokes for different folks.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-08-22 02:41:50
    It doesn't really help that most of the precious few that are actually halfway sympathetic are kids who get so epically fucked over that they'd probably be better off with the sharktopus too.  And most of the rest I'd be halfway willing to root for inevitably do something needlessly heinous even in the context of Westeros being a shithole where everyone who's still alive does heinous things to each other.
    Oh, they get leverage later on.

Sansa and Arya in particular.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    xsbnd fuc, jptrpv. ssf iaol pcjr tlreywdfd fvisnmghjl ittoihuy ieb x qca hsh novr ewl ycr cz orofr gv ujcgvovvir ep tklgb pmj zkxy czvr hwovzmcg cey wxbrm vx efpiva bz eyztapto frwst gbey bn xfk zfja. bqj ssf xies qvfu wcy qoqm qehwrm wctz. kg qmwm bx ldbicbsnl ukrsaohzqee, vwxrh lzx sfhxb rls xwfnmqjause zvqesegyh jpu tyk.
  • kill living beings
    sorry nurse i don't speak jive
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i feel this sentiment myself
  • It's funny that you drag this thread back of from the depths because this caused me to get into a very silly argument with sredni last night

also relatedly, watch Granite Flats it's a modern Serious TV Show but it's by mormons so there isnt any swearing or drinking or even smoking
  • also it involves small children solving mysteries and MKUltra