The Heaper's Short Story of the Week club!

124»

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You can post spoilertalk so long s you post in in spoilers

[ spoiler ] stufstuffstuff [ / spoiler ]
    (2015 self)
    Spoiler:
    Odra linked the 1950 version in the short story collection, I, Robot.  The original version, Asimov wrote when he was nineteen, and it was published in pulp magazines.  Certain adjectives, references, and details have been changed.  For example, in the magazine version, it mentions that Robbie has tentacles.
    (2015 self)
    ???

No discussion?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's a very cute story, but I think it works best as an intro to I Robot.
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

It's a very cute story, but I think it works best as an intro to I Robot.

Yeah, it's not as good as a standalone.

Anyways, I think it's lost something now in this day where everyone is connected by screens and technology is everywhere; and also in this day of social media where not having real-life friends is acceptable.  Also, in this day where increased understanding of autism and lack of social skills has lead to an understanding that not every child needs to play with other children.
  • Something I thought about "Orientation" a while ago.

The entire thing is telling. A direct violation of the 'show, don't tell' rule. And it still works. Funny thing about that.
  • sorry for disappearing off to crete and completely missing my own story and also forgetting about this thread. woops

Ill catch up soon when i have more than just a phone to read things on

Something I thought about "Orientation" a while ago.

The entire thing is telling. A direct violation of the 'show, don't tell' rule. And it still works. Funny thing about that.
    the show don't tell rule, like most rules, is important to observe when you're starting out, but once you have some skill as a writer can (or even should) be broken fairly freely so long as you do it in an interesting way
    (2015 self)
    I SUGGEST CHEKHOV'S NINOCHKA.