I am an Authority Figure

edited 2014-08-08 00:48:31 in General
Children should be Grounded and Sensible

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I am an irreverent piece of pop culture mocking said authority figure
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ok.

*grounds Odradek*
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I am an irreverent piece of pop culture mocking said authority figure

Harrumph!!
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    -Obeys authority figure-
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    i am a paleontologist 

that's who i am, that's who i am, that's who i am
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Aliroz said:

-Obeys authority figure-

If this man answers incorrectly, electrocute him.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

-Obeys authority figure-

If this man answers incorrectly, electrocute him.
    -answers completely correctly-
  • kill living beings
    no, you're the guy electrocuting. the one answering the question is me.
    Torgo said:

Nornagest
  • RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH
  • Torgo said:

Torgo said:

Nornagest
    what about him?
    Torgo said:

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I felt like as uptight as Nornagest was, he probably was a way nicer person than he seemed, at least on the inside.
  • Nornagest was...one of those elements of TVTropes that always really creeped me out, especially because no one else really seemed to mind the way he acted.
  • edited 2015-10-29 21:48:28
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    ~ said:

Nornagest was...one of those elements of TVTropes that always really creeped me out, especially because no one else really seemed to mind the way he acted.

Do you mind elaborating?

I had my issues with him at times, but nowadays it's just a vague sense of "Hm, I remember feeling iffy about X" without any specifics. Also he was helpful to me with research, briefly, otherwise I didn't really pay much attention to him.

v Yeah that's one thing, kind of, personally speaking.
    I didn't see him do anything creepy, but I guess that was just me? He did have a bit of a stick up his rear, though.
  • Well, it's not one of those every-detail-haunted-me-for-years things about TVTropes, more "oh yeah that guy was unpleasant". In general his attitude always rubbed me the wrong way, simultaneously bullying and desperately seeking attention from a group of people mostly ten years younger than him.

The only specific I can really remember is that he hit someone at a troper meet in California once, unprovoked if I remember correctly.
    I vaguely remember something like that being brought up? That certainly is a little alarming.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    That's fucked up.

i always thought he was alright, if kind of grouchy, but i guess i didn't notice the attention-seeking thing.

Then he defended Moldbug which was wtf
    Really? That's just bizarre.

I can actually understand getting in a fight and hitting someone a lot better than I can defending an actual Nazi.
    ~ said:

Well, it's not one of those every-detail-haunted-me-for-years things about TVTropes, more "oh yeah that guy was unpleasant". In general his attitude always rubbed me the wrong way, simultaneously bullying and desperately seeking attention from a group of people mostly ten years younger than him.

The only specific I can really remember is that he hit someone at a troper meet in California once, unprovoked if I remember correctly.
    Holy shit what
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    0vvvv0 said:

I can actually understand getting in a fight and hitting someone a lot better than I can defending an actual Nazi.

i think he got pretty deep into the lesswrong stuff

probably he's not actually an admirer of Moldbug, a lot of them seem to think he's bad but needs to be listened to anyway for unclear reasons
    Now that is less surprising by far.
  • OpAPHID said:

0vvvv0 said:

probably he's not actually an admirer of Moldbug, a lot of them seem to think he's bad but needs to be listened to anyway for unclear reasons
    "Well, we have so many people here who hate nazis, we need at least one actual nazis for the sake of balance"

It's the free speech trap. A lot of people fall into that one.
    Tucker said:

OpAPHID said:

0vvvv0 said:

"Well, we have so many people here who hate nazis, we need at least one actual nazis for the sake of balance"

No, they don't like people who hate nazis, because they don't tolerate the nazis