Nerds seem to generally prefer action animation to comedy

edited 2014-08-04 21:21:23 in General
Why?

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Because comedy is terrible and should die as a genre.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You are doing the "nerds" thing and you really need to stop that. It's really getting on my nerves. Additionally, comedy and action are by no means mutually exclusive; plenty of people, nerdy or geeky or neither, like both just fine.

That said, comedy is very subjective and can range from very immediate to very subtle. To someone who feels the need to justify their dumb pleasures intellectually, having something that is less subjective and more "serious" seems easier to defend while still being low-calorie consumption.
    Aliroz said:

Because comedy is terrible and should die as a genre.

Black comedy is best comedy.
  • kill living beings
    clearly SOMEone's never been stuck in an all day ZAZ marathon
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You do need to stop that.

That said, folks loved Futurama, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Superjail, The Critic, Archer...I could go on and on.
  • edited 2014-08-04 22:17:03
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

That said, folks loved Futurama, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Superjail, The Critic, Archer...I could go on and on.
    Man, I hated all of those shows.

(also, I think it's only Odradek who has a "nerds" problem).
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I hate MATH nerds
  • edited 2014-08-04 22:22:53
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's not the "nerds" thing I have a problem with. It's the assumptions about them.

I dislike it when individuals make assumptions about groups of people, even as I do it myself.

What does ZAZ stand for?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    All people who make generalizations about other people are jerks. >:(
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    wait a second...
    Odradek said:

I hate MATH nerds

Who need to be killed. For the good of America and the world
  • I think it's because animated comedies are traditionally more mainstream-accepted, adult or otherwise. 

Comedies make up a notable part of the pie chat for cult classics, but for the mainstream chart, it looks like Pac-Man in mid-chew.
  • kill living beings

What does ZAZ stand for?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucker,_Abrahams_and_Zucker

Airplane!, Top Secret, etc
    Oh, yeah, true.

I liked Airplane! a lot, although I think that it would be funnier if I were more familiar with the films that it was sending up and '70s pop culture in general.
  • edited 2014-08-05 04:01:43
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm late to this but it really doesn't help that you give the vaguest possible beginning starters (like this OP), and make it all so general that it basically loses any meaning to me. At least with Odradek I know he's talking about a very specific group of people (I say this only because math nerds are have already been brought up), who carry a very specific mindset, and I can at least try to understand how they negatively influence the area(s) he hangs around. (Though the math nerds thing doesn't bother me, so whatever.) With this I end up with nothing to say, and either separate myself as quickly as possible, or get annoyed. Even writing this post was difficult.
  • the use of "math nerds" to refer to a group that's clearly not actual math nerds bugs me

though by this point it's almost a running joke

anyway, i prefer drama to action animation or comedy

what about me
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    ur gay lol
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You are an outlier and you cannot be counted.

You are Spiders Kafka.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-05 13:08:40
    I'm a nerd and my favorite series are both comedies before anything else, but that's just me. -shrug-

I never really got this either, though.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "Nerd" is kinda such a broad category as to be meaningless without some kind of qualifier

I mean, is there anyone at HH who COULDN'T be considered a nerd? Even if you don't self-identify as one...
  • is there anyone at HH who COULDN'T be considered a nerd?

Security
  • edited 2014-08-05 13:31:43
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    When I first started caring about anime (that wasn't Voltron, The Little Prince or World Masterpiece Theater), I remember being disappointed that there weren't a lot of zany, Western-style comedies. The closest things then (this was around 1997) were Ranma 1/2 and Tenchi Muyo!—both screwball comedies featuring harems. :P 

Why do Japanese nerds like romantic comedies so damn much, aside from the whole "forever alone ;_;" thing?

Excel Saga was closer, but I'm also pretty sure the manga is a whole lot more interesting. I remember liking Love Hina because I thought Naru was cute, but..."problematic" doesn't begin to describe it. Yeah, I know, it's another goofy romantic comedy, but the characters have Issues with a capital I, and I seriously doubt Naru and Keitaro would even be speaking if they hadn't been strangled by the red string. Also, later in the manga, there's a halfway-decent adventure arc desperately begging to escape the harem comedy mold.

Ebichu was about as good as it could have been. It's a comedy of errors (mainly because Ebichu has a big mouth and seems to think her master is kind of gross even while worshipping the ground she walks on), and it's Gainax so of course the character have Issues, but it was actually funny, and it wasn't a goddamn harem comedy.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I would include things that predate those
  • edited 2014-08-07 17:58:27
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    First, define "nerd".

Then, conduct a survey of the viewing habits of a representative sample of nerds. Analyze that data.

(Actually, you should first search the literature to see if someone else has already conducted such a study. But even if someone has, it may be worth conducting again if it's old enough.)

The results will be much more useful than a vague impression based on anecdotal evidence.
  • MetaFour said:

First, define "nerd".

Then, conduct a survey of the viewing habits of a representative sample of nerds. Analyze that data.

The results will be much more useful than a vague impression based on anecdotal evidence.

Okay, what term should I use other than "nerd"?

Because I can't think of a better one.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Isn't that, like, entirely for you to decide? You're the one always asking these things.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I don't give a fig what you call them. The point is: if you're going to make a statement about the entertainment preferences of some demographic, I'm not going to trust it unless there is hard data (not just a bunch of anecdotes) backing it up.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I think the point here is that there's not a handy, one-word term to describe what you're trying to describe. It would have read better as "It seems like animated action shows get more hype than animated comedy shows. Why is that?" 
  • edited 2014-08-07 18:11:44
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well, for lack of hard data, I'm talking about people who lament the lack of "action cartoons" on Cartoon Network at this point in time, for instance.

(they tend to get canceled after a season or two for not selling enough toys, and perhaps a little Time Warner infighting too)
  • Anonus said:

Well, for lack of hard data, I'm talking about people who lament the lack of "action cartoons" on Cartoon Network at this point in time, for instance.

so what you're saying is that people who want there to be more action cartoons like action cartoons?
    I don't know

They just seem really vocal to me

(this was a stupid thread)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That makes more sense. There's always been a back-and-forth between the anime fans and the comedy fans on [adult swim] (and [as] didn't help much by broadcasting a comment from the forums saying that "anime is teh s uck"), and I imagine some of it has bled over to CN.
  • edited 2014-08-07 18:20:03
    Like MetaFour, I don't really care unless you have the hard data. Now, putting that aside, I question the relative importance of these people you're referencing. They genuinely sound like little more than faceless nobodies, probably some random folk commenting on in an online cartoon community. Not really anyone to pay attention to, or at least not enough to extrapolate the workings of an incredibly large demographic from.

Lee's point is good too. Generalizations are nice and all, and certainly have their place, just not from here (probably). They could easily be worked down from with the right tools and whatnot, and probably help get that information. With enough caveats and limitations they also create a nice area for discussion too. Though, that's hit-and-miss between anecdotal discussions and actual hard information.

Edit: Slow typer, got ninja'd by those more succinct than me.
  • edited 2014-08-07 18:26:54
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    To be honest, I'm a bit taken aback by these requests for "hard data" because I thought the preference was pretty widespread.

There's also the Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Animated Shows - I'm pretty sure they were almost all action cartoons (shitty ones too)

[is the Nostalgia Critic a dubious reference point? Because he is/was pretty popular]
  • Heaven forfend someone try to start a casual conversation about a personal observation without making it scientifically rigorous.

Not that the OP wasn't a little too generalized, but what do you expect to accomplish by saying "I don't really care unless you have the hard data"? 
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    If we're going to extrapolate from anecdotes, then in my experience, these sorts of conversations always seem to reach an impasse at "In my experience, X", then "Oh yeah, well in my experience, not-X, so you're wrong" ad nauseum.
    The Nostalgia Critic is but one man expressing his views. He does not represent anyone. He may be popular, but people do not agree with everything that their heroes say or think. Otherwise we would be actual sheeple.

My point about Futurama and company was that animation and comedy are not mutually exclusive. There are animated comedies
    I wasn't saying that there weren't!
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-07 20:37:53
    and also there are comedies that take elements of action shows

e.g. Adventure Time and Regular Show, especially the former
    I think the problem is that you are talking about something very specific by using a very broad, vague term. I know what group of people you are talking about - although I think that you are still straw-manning and stereotyping them - but just calling them "nerds" when a nerd or a geek can be anything is exceedingly problematic.

How so?

Here's a question: "Why do book people prefer nineteenth-century German literature to nineteenth-century French literature?" That question makes absolutely no sense because it generalises to the point of meaninglessness. You need to be more specific than that.
    I can see what Anonus means perfectly well.
    It makes sense when it is explained, but as a blanket statement the title and original post are utterly useless and frankly a bit insulting.

why is everyone here so angry

• edited 2014-08-07 20:59:30
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    telling someone when they made a mistake ≠ being angry at them
  • edited 2014-08-07 21:05:31
    Haven said:

Heaven forfend someone try to start a casual conversation about a personal observation without making it scientifically rigorous.

Not that the OP wasn't a little too generalized, but what do you expect to accomplish by saying "I don't really care unless you have the hard data"? 
    I'm only being serious because Anonus seems to treat it seriously (more power to him), and does it often. Casual or not, the OP provides little for starting any sort of good conversation, is what most of us commenting about that are getting at. I'm hardly saying that it needs to be ridiculously rigorous, just that, as far as getting responses go it would be nice. So would ridiculous amounts of rigor, personally, but oh well really. Otherwise the topic gets stale and repetitive.

why is everyone here so angry

I'm really not angry. I do wish the same blanket statements would change a bit, but I'm not angry.

EDIT: I'm also not the most succinct person, unfortunately.