GET SHOT AND DIED 2014

edited 2014-07-13 20:47:53 in General
(*yamaha pad sound and reversed drum samples*)

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I know explaining the joke kills the funny, but I am seriously curious here.
  • i was thinking about that political cartoon that centie posted in her thread and then i was thinking about the gerogerigegege and then i was thinking about all the vaporwave and witch house albums with components of their cover art stolen from japanese CD packaging
    You know, I've discussed this elsewhere with other people, but the line between witch house and vaporwave is pretty thin, isn't it? I mean, both are just species of chopped 'n' screwed with different but overlapping aesthetic aims and a strong Plunderphonics influence.
  • I know there is no feasible way you (or for that matter, anyone) means harm by it, but it really bothers me when people call Chopped n' Screwed a genre.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It's more of a production technique than a genre. It's almost like saying Autotune is a genre.

I know there is no feasible way you (or for that matter, anyone) means harm by it, but it really bothers me when people call Chopped n' Screwed a genre.

In the sense that it's a method or that you consider it the domain of the late producer?
  • It's a remixing method, ye.

Elements of said method have made their way into certain branches of hip-hop but it's not a genre on its own.
    OK, I get what you mean. I was trying not to treat it as a genre per se, but it's hard to articulate that vaporwave and witch house are both built on a mixture of two distinctive sampling and production approaches while not technically falling into the genres that they are most associated with.

Hmm. Maybe like this: Vaporwave is chopped 'n' screwed incidental and lounge music with a neo-Dada/Plunderphonics-inspired aesthetic; meanwhile, witch house is a variety of dark ambient house that uses the same methods to similar ends.
  • witch house dont sound like house at all tho
    The people who originally invented the term as a joke did make house music in that style, if I'm not mistaken, though it has moved in a somewhat different direction.

What is witch house, really?
  • lo-fi, usually instrumental hip-hop with dark ambient leanings and slowed down pilfered samples
  • generally they also have like super huge fuzzy pad sounds going on
  • witch house is a redheaded stepchild, no one will admit to it belonging to any wider genre.
    Looking up some of it to refresh my memory, it sounds like a halfway point between instrumental hip-hop and, well, slowed-down house music. The sampling style is clearly house-influenced as much as it is hip-hop-influenced, although the way the samples are treated is definitely within that chopped 'n' screwed tradition. And it is indeed very self-consciously lo-fi and druggy.
    There's potential in the sound here, but I feel like it tends to be wasted...
    ...fuck it, I might just make a song in a weird fucked up version of this style for kicks.