Tracey Emin's "My Bed" just sold for £2.2m

edited 2014-07-01 20:58:26 in General
now, im not normally a fan of seeing loads of people being totally butthurt

but this is gonna be fun

Comments

• I expect oodles of rage expressed in buckets of ink and pixels.

Me?  Not sure it was worth a twenty, but I have to admire her sheer chutzpah.  Like a lot of modern art, the true art is the trolling talent exhibited.
  • kill living beings
    hm nope still angrier about hirst.
  • i've always seen it as a meditation on artistic effort

the bed is the way it is because she did not get out of bed for several days due to severe depression

so she has put in the time, she's poured out her soul, it literally has her (menstrual) blood in it

only instead of a masterpiece

it's a bed

she's taken the "tortured artist" cliche and sucked the stuffing right out of it, no more artifice, no more glamour. just grossness and regret, as it is for most of us.

it's beautiful and nobody can convince me otherwise.
  • edited 2014-07-01 21:10:27
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I actually like a lot of Emin's conceptual pieces, particularly her tent of people that she literally slept with. I found that weirdly sweet. But My Bed is definitely more an act of chutzpah, yes, if an interesting one. None of Hirst's pieces are even close to that personal; even his most intriguing concepts are too cold and self-consciously absurd or tacky.

^ ...OK, replace "interesting" with "awesome." I love that.
  • hm nope still angrier about hirst.

hirst is boring

nothing is worse than conceptual art with a shoddy concept
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    if i understood art i'm sure i'd have an opinion on this

since most people i guess don't, i'm not sure why they care, but maybe i'm underestimating the art-literacy of the public
  • edited 2014-07-01 21:12:38
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Because there are still people who think that art that isn't crafted directly from a medium or performed with music or a narrative isn't real art. Which is stupid and reactionary, but still the case.
  • kill living beings

hm nope still angrier about hirst.

hirst is boring

nothing is worse than conceptual art with a shoddy concept
    ye
    Tachyon said:

if i understood art i'm sure i'd have an opinion on this

since most people i guess don't, i'm not sure why they care, but maybe i'm underestimating the art-literacy of the public

probably It's Not Real Art or That's Obscene or something

this thing mostly just reminds me of a hyperrealistic sculpture i saw once of a truck stop worker. walking up from behind i thought it was a person on dais
  • How much is that in miles
  • Kexruct said:

How much is that in miles

3,772,252 dollars
  • That's a lot of dollars
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yup.

It's an important work.
  • The anti art sentiment I see tossed around a lot when something like this happens bugs the hell out of me, mainly because the people saying it's "meaningless" don't know ANYTHING about the creative process. I don't have much interest in this kind of art but there is a craft to it. You can't do something like this without putting SOME consideration of what it means into it.
    Exactly.

And in this case, it also requires a level of bravery that a lot of people could never muster. But that sort of defines Emin's work in general.
  • I'm sure there's some convinient shorthand to express how I feel about this

ah. Thank you, Hank.
  • Well, whoever the new owner is, I hope they find great comfort in the bed for years to come

since I know jack shit about actual modern art, that's all I will say on the matter.
  • edited 2014-07-02 03:50:07
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Two performance artists, Yuan Chai and Jian Jun Xi,
    jumped on the bed with bare torsos in order to improve the work, which
    they thought had not gone far enough. They called their performance Two Naked Men Jump into Tracey's Bed. The men also had a pillow fight[1]
    on the bed for around fifteen minutes, to applause from the crowd,
    before being removed by security guards. The artists were detained but
    no further action was taken.[2]

^ Good post.
  • edited 2014-07-02 09:38:15
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    defacing other people's unique artworks is scummy, regardless of their reasons for doing so
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I just find it kinda funny that it apparently took 15 minutes for security to intervene
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I think that whole situation is funny, if not exactly something I would encourage.
    I can't remember what Emin's opinion on that was, but I think that's probably more important than mine.
  • The best part about a modern art museum is that sometimes the guards can't actually tell whether it's vandalism or part of the exhibit.
  • Tachyon said:

defacing other people's unique artworks is scummy, regardless of their reasons for doing so

but if the defacement is itself a work of art, is it really?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    regardless of their reasons for doing so, i said

i don't really care about this and i don't know what Emin thought of it, for all i know maybe she approved

still, if she did they presumably didn't know that when they messed up her artwork
    She was apparently pretty pissed, actually, but I wanted to verify that.