that feel when you don't share other people's interests

edited 2014-07-01 15:38:52 in General
so when it comes to idle conversation it feels like you're speaking a totally different language

Comments

• Linguae non habent momentum.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    What's more perplexing is sharing an interest in theory but having such different tastes from the person with whom you are speaking that it's like you don't share that interest at all. Like talking to Death Note shipper chicks about Aoi Bungaku or something.

And yes, I am sure there are Death Note shipper chicks who enjoy more highbrow fare as well. But in this hypothetical situation, I am not speaking to one of those lovely people.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    tell me about it
  • edited 2014-07-01 15:55:28
    ^ Between the phenomenon I cited and the phenomenon you cited, this is why I am increasingly feeling that the anime fandom is not actually anywhere near a coherent bloc, except maybe unified by the desire for pop culture works from Japan and the ability to keep torrenting things.  Despite frequently being described or referred to as an implicitly coherent bloc.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It isn't.

Now let me tell you how much I want the moe phenomenon to die and you can tell me about, I dunno, your telltale tics and tremors.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I get this way when people start talking about sports
  • i'm actually lucky that the world cup is something i have some interest in and is actually the subject of chatter right now

come superbowl, i have precious few fucks to give
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    when i share interests with somebody i can usually maintain a conversation for a bit, learn something, and maybe come away with a recommendation or two which is nice, albeit usually accompanied by a feeling of inferiority, either due to knowing less than the other person or being less passionate about the subject than them or both

generally i don't share interests with people so i just listen politely and give my uninformed opinion if asked

sometimes i have like a lightbulb moment where i think i've uncovered some insight and then i'll come out with some great lengthy thing which puts people off talking to me and tells them nothing they didn't know already
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    This is usually the part where I hang back and let everyone else do the talking. Sometimes I learn new and interesting things. Other times, the subject is too far outside my interest range to keep me from zoning out. It's a hit-or-miss thing.