Movies are considered the ultimate form of visual entertainment

edited 2014-06-25 00:48:49 in General
This perception irks me. In part because higher, true-to-life framerates are considered inferior to the sluggish framerates preferred by film.

Comments

• I actually much prefer television to movies.

My attention span is not that long.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    < 3 hours in 24fps can't possibly be an "ultimate" format.
  • the ultimate form of visual entertainment is ad reinhardt

also i dont care about framerates that much , i dont really notice the difference unless somethings really chugging
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    well, there's also the romanticized air that surrounds the movies in the popular mind (which is, I imagine, part of TCM's appeal) and also video games seeking to mimic cinema
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Miko prefers animation and indie games.
  • There is a genuine psychological effect that makes 24fps feel better for watching a movie, but I'm not certain what it is.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I love movies, but personally I feel that comic books are much better in regards to putting really creative things for the audience to see without spending large amounts of money.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

what is TCM ?

Turner Classic Movies
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I say that comic books have less limitations than movies, but sometimes restraints allow you to be more creative than usual.
  • i've never heard of them before...
  • i do like movies a lot

but only some movies

Ran is the best always and forever
  • edited 2014-06-25 01:01:07
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

i've never heard of them before...

A cable channel dedicated to running old movies, primarily from the Turner/Time Warner library (the libraries of Warner Bros., RKO, and the pre-1986 MGM library)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Usually with informative introductions before and after by notable actors.
  • oh that explains why i have not heard of them then!
  • that sounds pretty nifty
    It is. I like it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My mom loves TCM, but then, she's been an old-movie buff at least since I was a baby.
  • Anonus said:

This perception irks me. In part because higher, true-to-life framerates are considered inferior to the sluggish framerates preferred by film.

In a weirdo way, though, this kinda makes sense.

Hear me out on this. We watch movies to be entertained, no? Barring documentaries (which tend to be shot at higher framerates in general anyway), film is seen as a way to escape our reality for one/two/three hours and enter a different one.

We bought a Sharp TV a few weeks back, and to test it out I put The Avengers on it via Netflix, but something was off about it. The film moved like it was shot on video because of some weird setting the TV turned on by default; as a result, it seemed unnatural. It may be the uncanny valley coming into play; we've come to expect movies to move the way they do at 24fps, so seeing anything significantly higher looks off unless it's a fully animated film or a documentary. I think Peter Jackson came under some fire for shooting The Hobbit in 42fps because of this phenomenon; I haven't seen the movies, but if they felt the way The Avengers did I could understand the sentiment.

I dunno, though. Just a weird teenager's two cents.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I've heard that before, that audiences actually prefer the lower framerate of movies, but I honestly can't tell the difference between the framerates of a movie and a TV show.

For me, going to the cinema is a rare treat, and is usually a social thing; I'll go with friends, or with family, but not alone.  It's something special.

Whereas the TV is something that I'll put on while I'm eating lunch if I'm at home on my own and there's no-one around to talk to, you know?  I kind of take it for granted.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-25 11:53:10
    The lines between the two have significantly blurred over the years as far as framerate is concerned though. So in that regard, you're in good company.

Most dramas and sitcoms use filmized filters to make themselves appear more like movies do, if they themselves aren't outright shot on film. Disney Channel is a great example of this-- watching stuff from their That's So Raven/The Suite Life of Zack and Cody era (c. 2005), you can tell they're shot on video; nowadays, with stuff like Liv & Maddie or (Aliroz's favorite) Jessie, not so much.
  • edited 2014-06-25 11:59:16
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I have seen none of those, apart from like the odd episode of That's So Raven years ago.

I'm not denying that there is a difference.  I'm guessing it's one of those things where it becomes obvious once you're tuned into it, like audio quality or bad kerning, but I'm just not.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-25 12:07:36
    Believe me, you're not missing much.

(That applies to both Disney Channel and framerates.)
    It's not that movies are meant to be in twenty-four frames a second. It's that because of technological limitations, that's what we had.

Now we no longer have that limitation. So we should grow out of it.

Fuck the old. In with the new.
  • DESTROY 2000 YEARS OF CULTURE
  • -shrug-

The Hobbit's done pretty well for itself, so we'll probably see more movies of its kind as time and technology move forward.
    Destroy it all. Not a single one of them worth our time.
  • not even 1996? :o
  • edited 2014-06-25 12:27:41
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the Hobbit was OK

although i would have preferred something closer to the book
  • I don't think movies are the ultimate form of visual entertainment.

Movies in general are not very interesting to me.  I am going to say something that is undefensible but it's just my opinion: I find that movies are very samey.  They're always about presenting this really (supposedly) epic plot and being oh so grand and such.  Yet it's supposed to all work out in the course of two to three hours.  I'm supposed to go from having no knowledge of something to caring deeply about everything in the course of that time, I guess?

One of my favorite pacings in TV shows, it turns out -- albeit one that is a little frustrating to deal with -- is actually one where you have a sort of setting premise presented in early episodes which is changed (dramatically, often) several episodes.  It gives a chance to become comfortable with the baseline setting and characters, and gives meaning to the sense of change.

Movies just...happen too fast.
  • Tachyon said:

the Hobbit was OK

although i would have preferred something closer to the book

Still not over the ending to the first movie.

It's like they didn't even read the frigging book.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tre said:

The lines between the two have significantly blurred over the years as far as framerate is concerned though. So in that regard, you're in good company.

Most dramas and sitcoms use filmized filters to make themselves appear more like movies do, if they themselves aren't outright shot on film. Disney Channel is a great example of this-- watching stuff from their That's So Raven/The Suite Life of Zack and Cody era (c. 2005), you can tell they're shot on video; nowadays, with stuff like Liv & Maddie or (Aliroz's favorite) Jessie, not so much.

Oh, Jessie.  Ugh, that show is awful on so many levels.  So artless, soulless, banal, it makes even farce look like an artful craft.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tre said:

From what I understand, there are a lot of shows filmed in 24fps but airing in 30fps so you have to do stuff like this, and then fansubbers' encoders actually reverse this process.

I don't think movies are the ultimate form of visual entertainment.

Movies in general are not very interesting to me.  I am going to say something that is undefensible but it's just my opinion: I find that movies are very samey.  They're always about presenting this really (supposedly) epic plot and being oh so grand and such.  Yet it's supposed to all work out in the course of two to three hours.  I'm supposed to go from having no knowledge of something to caring deeply about everything in the course of that time, I guess?

One of my favorite pacings in TV shows, it turns out -- albeit one that is a little frustrating to deal with -- is actually one where you have a sort of setting premise presented in early episodes which is changed (dramatically, often) several episodes.  It gives a chance to become comfortable with the baseline setting and characters, and gives meaning to the sense of change.

You ignore the movies that are slow, quaint, breezy, farcial, or confining.
  • Going under three hours isn't the limitation; it's the challenge.
  • movies like Lord of the Rings

and Robot and Frank

and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

and Hot Fuzz

and Gravity
  • edited 2014-06-25 21:50:17

I don't think movies are the ultimate form of visual entertainment.

You ignore the movies that are slow, quaint, breezy, farcial, or confining.
    Yeah, I know; I haven't really watched that many movies.

That said, even for those movies that are comedies, their structure still feels broadly similar to that of an epic serious movie, in terms of pacing.

Also, I'm just not much of a fan of tacking on romance subplots onto things, and romance subplots are like, all the rage, all the time, when it comes to movies.

And after a while, it's almost like, you have to have that almost silly confluence of big problems for the protagonist, and one of them almost has to be a romantic interest.  No matter how it ends.

But yeah, they feel kinda samey.  Maybe it's due to the ones I've seen.  I dunno.
  • edited 2014-06-25 21:58:33
    Contrast that to, say, even a twelve-episode TV or web series.  There's a multitude of possible structures -- you can have a thing that takes 8 episodes to setup and the main conflict takes place in the last 4 episodes.  Or you can have something that is highly episodic.  Or something where the first episode presents a setting that is shattered immediately and replaced by the main setting.  Or two six-episode story arcs.  You never know what you're getting into.  Which is part of the fun of experiencing the story.

Now sometimes I do like formulas.  Like Law & Order episodes.  But there the fun is seeing how it deviates.  And there's a built-in setting-based reason for the formulaic structure, as opposed to trying to force the same sort of story progression out of every setting there is.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can't sit through movies
    Y'all need to watch more different and varied movies.
    Glenn, go watch Solaris. The original Russian version.

It is very slow, very strange, and frequently very beautiful, if more for its composition than what you are actually seeing.
  • The oddest movies that I've watched are old ones. Vertigo by Hitchcock and Tokyo Story by Ozu.

The first is zany in the way that only old movies could be zany. The second was...well...artistically minimalist. Watching it was like going through a gallery of Mondrian prints, except in black and white.
  • Tokyo Story is the fuckin bomb
  • It's...slow. And it took me a while to figure out who was related to who, which made the first 15 minutes confusing.
  • Slow?

well, i guess it's all perceptual but it seemed just fine to me
  • Primarily at the beginning, largely because of us not knowing what was going on in some parts, but yeah.

Partaking in certain Japanese works (namely this one and Some Prefer Nettles) is like taking a walk with a couple of old men. You don't get the feel that it's meandering meaninglessly, as one would with lesser works. Indeed, every step is deliberate and every word spoken has a bit of tension behind it. The deliberateness means that it's slow going, but you know that it's slowness for the sake of art and not slowness because there were gaps in the script or the director wanted to pan over the Enterprise for half an hour.
  • Alternatively, I had two exams the day after I watched that movie, so it felt slow because I needed to go back home and study.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Best odd movies I have watched

Naked Lunch

Barton Fink

Bronson

Gozu

Naked Lunch

How To Get Ahead In Advertising

The Cube
  • you forgot Naked Lunch