[IC] Tavern Tales - If We Must Die, Let The Cosmos Live

Comments

• "Sure. So, what's the bill looking like? I only have so much on me, but I'm not the kind of guy who skips out on debts. Not if I can avoid it, anyways..."
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    "C'mon in, kids!" the spider calls to the hallway.

"Oh, don't worry about that, sweetie. Pearlsea edicts state that any guest of the city shall be cared for until they leave. Although we do have a donation box, and I wouldn't mind a nice tip."
  • Min immediately pulled out ten gold pieces from his coinbag. The Ox-Heads, per their agreement with Yan Luo, are technically immortal, in that they can choose to return to their previous bodies when they die. However, those who have committed crimes still have to go through their allotted punishment before revival. Every second that delays the God-level whooping he'll get when he dies is worth a small fortune.
  • At the spider-nurse's beckoning, Gui entered the room Min had been taken for healing. 

"I am older than you, Spider," he said. "Do not call me a child."

Then he turned to Min and said, "Are you satisfactorily well? May we continue to the Games now?"
  • "Gui, be nice to the nurse. Just because you don't need her doesn't mean the rest of us don't." Min got up from the cot, still a little bit shaky.

"I should be fine in a bit. Legs just a bit wonky." Min looked at the Nurse. "Do you still have those pole-arms that were stuck in me? 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    "Right here." says Gu Long, opening his hand. The two polearms were shrunk to the size of pens. 

"Paired Dvarapala arms. Model-M3N. It's good work. Want one?"
  • Ba, still recovering from her angry fit earlier, decides that she should pay attention to her injuries more. "Ah, um, I have some strange magical burns that don't seem like they will be easing up soon. I think I have some damage on my side, too..." The nurse nods knowingly, carefully undoing Ba's armor to check, but not removing the clothes under, gently brushing over it with her pedipalps.

"Hmm, yes... you should be all right, dear. You've got a big bruise, but that will go away soon enough since everything else is is fine under there - just don't strain your poor self in the meantime. And these -" she says while applying some transdermal patches over Ba's burns, "- these will take care of those burns in no time. Get well soon, sweetie."

"Thank you, nurse," Ba bows gratefully. She disengages her gauntlets to take 5 gold from her pocket and puts it in the donation box. "There, I'm good to go, guys."
  • "Good," Gui said. "Let us proceed."

Following that, he hopped out of the building. Unsure of where the Games were being held, however, he did not know where to go after that. That did not stop him from continuing to hop forward, however. He had never been particularly comfortable in places of healing, after all.
  • edited 2014-07-19 22:37:21
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You leave the hospice.

"We're headed to Pearlsea Palace." says Gu Long. "All contenders in the Games must attain an audience with Astra Ardell in a formal introduction, the Duchess of this city. Only with her blessing are we allowed to compete."

Pearlsea Palace is a traditional courtyard complex of mansions, pagodas, hills, and shrines. While it spans an area of around two miles, it looks small compared to the heaven-reaching towers it looks out onto. Everything is adorned with wood and marble. Pairs of Dvarapala, Qilin, and Stone Lions guard every gate, clearly a higher class and rank than Yu and Zuo. Gardens of hibiscus, plum blossoms, chrysanthemums, peony, and orchids stretch as far as the eye can see on your way to the central welcoming shrine. 

"Follow my lead." says Gu Long. "When I stop, you stop. When I bow, you bow. And remember, we are guests here; always keep a civil tongue."

You enter the central welcoming shrine into one of the pagodas, from a spiral staircase that takes you to the very center of the chamber. It is the very top of the fifty-storey tower, well-lit with natural light and airy. Facing each of the four directions are giant stone statues, armored and armed; representations of the Four Heavenly Kings. It is for their honor that the Galactic Games are held.

You walk forward towards the raised throne upon which Astra Ardel sits. She is a lovely young woman of around twenty-five of fair complexion, wearing a long blue dress with flowing water sleeves, scarf, and a bolero jacket, her black hair tied in a simple band. At the side of her throne is a sheathed jian sword, inlaid with gold.

Gu Long takes a knee, his head bowed. "Presenting the company of Diyu, here to compete in the Galactic Games." thunders the crier.

Gu Long opens his mouth. "I am Gu-" 

"Enough, Boney." says Astra, a smile on her face. "And rise. I could not let a fellow peer remain on his knees. And I couldn't let a friend bow to me, either."

Gu Long does as she asks, grinning, and bows slightly. A little bending of the back, left arm held in front, right arm held in the back.

"Please, allow your compatriots to introduce themselves."
  • "I am known as Er Gui," the jiangshi spoke with an over-exaggerated bow that lacked any of the flourishes Gu Long had in his, his arms hanging straight down, his head perhaps getting too close to the ground. "I am a simple jiangshi." 

He thought none in the room would see the smirk on his face with his head as low to the ground as it was.
  • edited 2014-07-19 03:06:39
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Astra's eyes narrow. With a flourish, she grabs the sword and unsheathes it, pointing it at Er Gui. In another heartbeat, guards leap to the ready, surrounding the group and brandishing spears and rifles.

"Someone please explain why there is an Undead in this place. Haven't they done enough?"
  • edited 2014-07-19 03:22:35
    Ba feared conflict. With Min just recovering from serious injuries, she cannot risk anything going wrong. "I am Ba of the Stone Lions, Your Grace," she kneels with her head bowed. "All three of us met in a tavern and we come bearing no ill will. We only wish to take part in the Games."
    "Give me one good reason why I should let compete in a tournament honoring victory over your kind, undead."
  • "I am an associate of Gu Long," Gui began. "And I very much doubt he would want to exclude me in all your godly games. I do not like to imagine what would happen between the two of you were you to expel me from here."
    "Fie. A Diyu princeling, not yet completed his Rambling? He has no power until he completes his rites."

Astra turns to Gu Long. "You didn't think, did you? You didn't think about who or what you would bring to my house. He fought alongside you, and so he must be a brother. Fool that you are."

Gu Long tries to speak, but cannot, his mouth shut in shame. All he can do is nod and look away sheepishly.
  • "...Your Grace? I apologize if that's not the right title; I'm not used to meeting royalty." Min plucked the extending spear from behind his ear, extended it with a flourish, and did a flashy bow. "I am Min the humble tracker, and if you'll let me speak freely, I believe there is a very good reason for allowing Er Gui into the competition." 

Min continued before she could get the chance to tell him, no, you can't speak freely, you gutless spawn of the death god's lackey. "You say these games celebrate a victory over monsters, correct? Well, victory implies a lack of fear and worry. It implies that the enemy has been effectively defanged and that the common populace can walk freely with a song in their hearts." Min hoped that no one made a smart remark on how Er Gui was clearly not defanged. "How is it then that the presence of a single monster who openly bows before you causes such worry? He is no inherent threat to anyone here, else your guards wouldn't have been able to contain him so easily. He does not challenge your right to claim victory, else he wouldn't have bowed so lowly. Though he is not literally defanged, this jiangshi is defanged in spirit, following lockstep behind a prince of the heavenly realms. And though this event curses his very kind, he is more than happy to accept his status of  ultimate lowliness for the chance to compete. Quite simply, there is no better representation of your victory than being able to let a jiangshi compete with a light heart and not a worry on your brow."
    Astra thought about it for a moment. "There is wisdom in your words." She sheathed her sword. 

She seats herself. "But I am still not satisfied. I need more."

She turns to Ba. "Lady Ba. Why do you want to be an adventurer?"
  • It had been almost a year since the question surprised Ba. "Your Grace," she says, again making a little bow, "I wish only to prove that my people are more than their stereotype."
    "Stereotype? How so?"
  • edited 2014-07-20 03:28:55
    "Most think of the Shi as loyal guards... and nothing else." Ba draws a deep breath. "Not many would admit to this, but we have had slurs slung at us, our foremothers and forefathers... we avoid unnecessary conflict usually, so they think us harmless cats."

'Cats'. The word evoked for Ba's mind the presence of children of other races, maybe half a dozen or so, muttering among themselves, sometimes jeering at her, pushing her around and knowing she would not fight back.
  • edited 2014-07-20 04:35:50
    "I see. I do not employ many of your family, and as such do not know of such things. I will say that my Captain of the Guard - Bastet - is one of the best we've ever had. Definitely one of your relatives. If you would like to meet her, I can introduce you. Unless you have already met."

"What of you, Min, of the Yama Courts? Why do you pursue the life of an adventurer?"
  • "The life of an adventurer? Your Grace, as I said before, I am merely an entrepreneur. This adventure provides an opportunity for me to reinforce bonds with a previous client," he nodded towards Gu Long here "test the applicability of my skills in different environments, and discover new sources of capital."

Translated from business speech to normal speech, Min wanted to look good in front of the prince, taste the thrill of adventure, and pack away whatever loot he can carry. Obfuscation through language choice, Min thought, is always helpful when discussing things with people who can keep him from getting what he wants. The right spin on a topic can determine whether or not a client shafts him on a job.
  • edited 2014-07-20 05:26:23
    "So. You wish to make money, curry favor with my peer, and have fun doing it." says Astra, resting her head on her hand. "Get rich, look good, or die trying."

"I do not find this disagreeable. But I do advise honesty, when speaking to me."
  • Min stifled a smirk.

"My apologies, Your Grace. In my line of business, trying to looking good is necessary to get rich, and it's often the only thing keeping me from dying while trying."
  • Ba's ears perk noticeably. "I would love to meet her, Your Grace."
  • edited 2014-07-20 07:03:32
    "Good. I believe she is your aunt? Or perhaps cousin. I forget, my apologies."

Astra turns to Er Gui. "And you. Hungry Ghost. Tell me; how will you change the world if you win the competition?" Her eyes narrow in anticipation.
  • "I do not seek to change the world, God," Gui said while making direct eye contact with Astra. "My kind tried to change the world long ago, and we failed. Now I must suffer under the rule of you and your kin. I seek merely to survive, to carve out a space for me and mine."

Then he turned to Gu Long. "I travel with this one on his Rambling, hoping that doing so will bring the grace of his Father to me. Perhaps then, we will have a place for ourselves in Diyu."
    "Admirable. Well, your answers are satisfactory. You will be allowed to compete in the Games. Your team will wear the color blue, and you will be representing the Heavenly King Virudhaka."

Astra gets off her throne and beckons you to follow. You walk towards the statue that faces the south, and turn to face it. The statue is severe, imposing, and beautifully carved. It wears the traditional mountain-pattern armor, like its fellows. At its hip is sheathed a gigantic broad-saber, even for scale. The statue gestures to a map of Pearlsea that it is holding, its finger calling to attention certain tactical points.

In front of the statue of Virudhaka is a small shrine, with candles, a hologram of the young Virudhaka (looking far less built than his statue, but the sword no lesser in size), and an earthenware pot filled with dirt. Several thin sticks are stuck inside the pot, smoking and giving off the fragrance of incense.

Astra gives each of you three unused incense sticks, and lights them. She beckons you to wave the flame off, until all that is left is a slow burn that trails blue smoke.

"Approach the shrine." she says. "Hold the incense between your palms and against your forehead, face the statue, and pay your respects. Bow three times in that direction, then turn to your right and bow another three times. Continue until you have bowed in all four directions. When you are done, stick the incense in the pot."
  • Min bows very carefully, keeping the flame as far away from his forehead as possible. Nothing ruins a day quite like setting your own fur on fire.
  • The incense smoke irritated the jiangshi, but he still went on as instructed by the Goddess, although perhaps a bit more quickly than was expected. The less time he was forced to spend around the smoke, the better.
  • Ba takes a deep breath and three solemn bows, incense firmly between her palms. She pauses for a moment as if to silently pray, then repeats the bowing, three times in each direction. With the ritual done she sticks her incense in the pot, somehow feeling more at ease with herself.
    Gu Long takes his turn, and returns to the line.

Astra gestures to a servant, who comes forward with a box filled with blue plasilk bands.

"Wear these on your arm. They identify you, will track your vitals, and will inject your bloodstream with stabilizing curatives should you be severely injured."

She holds out a fifth band. "I suggest you find one more. While technically this festival is dedicated to the Four Heavenly Kings and thus the groups would be of four, there is nothing in the rules that states that you cannot have five. You might need a substitute for certain events, after all."
  • edited 2014-07-22 01:31:15
    "The games begin tomorrow morning, after the opening ceremony. You have until then to find your fifth."
    You leave the palace. The obvious thought comes to mind.

"Where are we going to find a fifth?" says Gu Long.
  • "We'd better start looking around... though I wouldn't know where to begin." Ba scratches her head, a bit embarrassed that she's at a loss.
  • edited 2014-07-23 09:48:35
    As the group wanders away from the palace, they see a small crowd gathered around a kindly looking man standing on a crate, preaching. He's hard to hear over the group, but there's an energy in the air that is a little thrilling, and feels out-and-out good. He's preaching, exhorting, and proselytizing for some time as the group picks its way through the crowd; some of them are obviously completely taken in by the speakers words, others are skeptical, others still mocking, but the speaker has a certain charisma that you're sure will make even the most skeptical of listeners consider his words carefully.

He is violently stabbed from one of the crowd. As the speaker falls to the ground the assassin turns to flee, and finds that the alley he was about to escape through blocked by a large yellow glowing wall of pure magical energy. The assassin turns from the alley and is face to face with a crowd of gods, beasts, and men who apprehend him, while others rush to the aid of the fallen speaker, others still run away either for help or from fear. A dog is barking madly at the assassin, adding to the clangor and confusion. The speaker is, inexplicably, back on his feet in his blood stained robes, but apparently unhurt, the gaping wound in his side has closed. Those holding the assassin disarm him and hold him steady; the speaker slowly comes and speaks in soft tones, impossible to hear over the crowd. When the authorities arrive, the assassin is released into their custody, and the speaker waves a sad farewell. He briefly concludes his speech with a note of sadness, and the crowd disperses.
    "That man has a good bit of will, to stand after being stabbed straight in the chest." says Gu Long.

"What do you folks think?"
  • "Sure, why not? At the very least, he seems good with crowds. This morning could have gone a lot smoother if he was there."

Min waves to the speaker over the heads of his dispersing sycophants.
  • "I care little for proselytizing, but cannot deny the usefulness of a man who can survive being stabbed," Gui said. "That is, if he was in fact stabbed, and that was not some performance."
  • Ba raises a brow, gives a little huff, then rubs her chin thoughtfully. "He'll do. Not that we have much of a choice."
  • Yuduo sees Min waving. He shoulders a slightly ridiculously over-sized over-stuffed pack full of gods-know-what and whistles to the dog, which also is carrying a pack fitted for her. He works his way towards Min with a quizzical smile.

"Can I help you? If you wanted to ask me about the commotion, you needn't worry. I'm quite a skilled healer as you can see." He pulls the hold in the robes torn by the dagger back and forth over his skin to show that there is no wound.
    "How would you like to participate in the Galactic Games?" asks Gu Long.
  • "Well...ah...hm! I hadn't really thought about it...you're looking for another competitor and you're inviting me? Hmmmm, well...I suppose that's very generous of you. I'd be honored!"
    "Good minister, do you know where we might find some lodging?"
  • "Me? Why I just arrived here! I haven't the slightest idea. I'm sure if it's necessary we could find some meager help at a shrine of the Enlightened One. There will likely be several in the city somewhere, but as I said, I've only just arrived!' Yuduo smiles at the group then shouts in shock. "SACRED SMILE OF A SLAVE! Is that...are you...is that an undead?"

Yuduo becomes extremely interested in the jiangshi, coming over to stare and poke and prod and walk around him asking questions quickly, setting down his pack and taking out a board and paper to write on. "What's it like? Do you have sensory experience? Do you feel pain? Do you suffer? Do you feel happiness? Are you aware of yourself? Do you make decisions? What sorts of sensory experiences do you have? Do you remember life? When did you become this way? Do you decay? Oh my! This is exciting...Really though...do you suffer?"
  • "Get this Man away from me," Gui said, with an edge to the word as though it were a slur. "I agreed to fight with him, not to answer his inane questions."