ITT: We are unironic Irate Gamer fans

edited 2014-06-17 11:02:44 in General
OMG guys, Chris Bores, is like, the dreamiest!!~!

Comments

• for a second I didn't see the word "Irate" and thought you meant the movie "Gamer".
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Such creatures exist.

I find that strange.
  • That guy's still around and relevant?
    Around, it seems, but was he ever relevant?

Better question: Is an inferior knock-off  of something already annoying and trivial irrelevant for what it is or relevant for what it represents?
  • edited 2014-06-17 16:48:49
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm not sure that the Irate Gamer ever had any actual fans, but all it takes to remain around is to get enough people interested in you and what you're doing, even if they're just simply following you because they love to hate you. 

Patrice Wilson is a great example of this phenomenon.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    SF_Sorrow said:

That guy's still around and relevant?

Nah

Anyone remember those painfully unfunny videos mocking him?
  • of something already annoying and trivial

I don't really agree, but I will say that I am pretty glad that most of the many imitations and mock-imitations had died out just as quickly as they came
    I've never really been much of a fan of that style of reviewing, let alone of video games, that being a subject about which I have mixed feelings anyway. And while the format is definitely appealing, the riff review tends not to have a very long shelf life. So to me, it feels trivial and annoying. But those who imitate such things and fail to grasp what makes them even marginally entertaining in the first place are decidedly worse.
  • The AVGN is still kicking, actually. He's still pretty good, too, mainly because he's a good filmmaker and comedian. Other than the AVGN I can't think of many good angry video game reviewers though.
    The few things I've seen of his I've not cared for, but again, grumpy video game reviews are not my bag. I like humorous reviews and playthroughs of bad or strange games now and then, but the yelling schtick in talking about really any medium does not do it for me.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I find some AVGN reviews downright unwatchable because of the shitck you allude to. I do like the vids where he's just dramatizing problems that he had with the games he's reviewing when he was a kid, though.

His Top Gun review is a good example of him doing the latter.
  • I've always held that the humor inherent in his schtick is that most people who've played games have totally gotten to the level of anger he regularly exhibits. It feels natural, and his talent as a writer makes it much better than the likes of, say, PewDiePie or the Irate Gamer.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    We had Top Gun for the NES when I was little, and yes, landing the damn plane really was that hard.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Top Gun for the NES seemed rather repetitive and boring to me...

anyway, going by the above video, the Irate Gamer needs to be slapped and banned from the YouTubes.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, you didn't do a whole much. You used your guns and rockets to shoot down baddies and Blow Shit Up, avoided enemy fire, and then you either had to land or refuel, both of which were evil.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Then again, I had a mild fascination with After Burner which was much the same thing. Eh, well.
    Kexruct said:

I've always held that the humor inherent in his schtick is that most people who've played games have totally gotten to the level of anger he regularly exhibits. It feels natural, and his talent as a writer makes it much better than the likes of, say, PewDiePie or the Irate Gamer.

But generally speaking, I like to avoid getting that frustrated at something that is supposed to be fun.
    I like James Rolfe better when he's just James Rolfe.
  • I like James Rolfe best when he's reading about living like a windrammer as you fuck.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Wilhelm said:

I like James Rolfe best when he's reading about living like a windrammer as you fuck.

for some reason watching other people lose it with laughter is almost as hilarious as whatever they're laughing about, if not more so

case in point:
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    What you can't see is a man standing in the corner hopping up and down on one foot and clutching his chest desperately trying not to burst out laughing.