Things that would be all over everyone's Tumblr dashboards if it were around when they were new

edited 2014-06-08 14:48:33 in General
The Twilight Zone
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Pepper Ann
The Powerpuff Girls

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Sailor Moon
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The twist ending of Shakespeare's King Lear.  All my feels, ruined forever, I can never read that story the same way again!

Oscar Wilde's trial and completely unjustified fate.

Little Women shipping wars.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The Count of Monte Christo fandom would be obnoxious.
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

???

Why?
    Aliroz said:

Odradek said:

???

Why?
    The same reason any fandom of a long-drawn out series is obnoxious.
  • edited 2014-06-08 15:18:58
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    But the point is that it's a tragedy, you're not supposed to cheer on The Count as he exacts his revenge.  It's not supposed to be cool, it's supposed to be heartbreaking because of how far poor Edmond Dantes has fallen from his original innocence and naïvety.  The Count is a strange, untouchable, distant figure you only see through the eyes of other characters.

In a way, he's kind of like Johan Liebert from Monster, but less terrifying and only going after people we already don't like.

But The Count of Monte Christo is not the hero, he's arguably not even the main character, he's just the central character like Johan was.

(Okay, I admit it, Dumas and his cowriters messed up.  The Count's revenge actually came out extremely, jaw-droppingly, stunningly cool.  And dang, if his motivation wasn't completely understandable and the wrong done him wasn't heinous.  But he sank to the level of Danglars in his revenge.) 

(Here's how my translation goes: Abbe Faria, when thinking of the treasure, imagined all that one could do for his friends in those days with that much wealth.  Prisoner 34 imagined all that one could do for his enemies in those days with that much wealth.)

^ I disagree with you on "any fandom of a long-drawn out series is obnoxious".
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

But the point is that it's a tragedy, you're not supposed to cheer on The Count as he exacts his revenge

well, there you have why the fandom would be obnoxious

Aliroz said:

But the point is that it's a tragedy, you're not supposed to cheer on The Count as he exacts his revenge

well, there you have why the fandom would be obnoxious
    Yes, endless arguments over that.
    (2015 self)
    Heck, I think, after chapter 25, Albert and Franz got more pagetime than the Count/Edmond Dantes.  IT's just that the Count is so dang memorable.
  • Anonus said:

The Twilight Zone

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Pepper Ann
    The Powerpuff Girls
    I still see a decent number of gifsets of Buffy and Powerpuff Girls, though yeah, they would be everywhere. Can't remember seeing Twilight Zone, but I did just see Pepper Ann this morning.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You saw Pepper Ann on Tumblr? Was it that comic I reblogged?
    (2015 self)
    The end of Calvin and Hobbes would have sent metaphorical shockwaves through tumblr.
  • Anonus said:

You saw Pepper Ann on Tumblr? Was it that comic I reblogged?

Yeah, the fake geek girl one.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Pepper Ann seems like it's been mostly forgotten; it's one of those things I just randomly dug up

I'm watching a first-season episode and the show doesn't feel like it's found its footing yet
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the Pentateuch
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    If you think the Sherlock fandom is annoying now, imagine how annoying the original Sherlock Holmes fandom would've been if Tumblr were around back then.
  • If you think the Sherlock fandom is annoying now, imagine how annoying the original Sherlock Holmes fandom would've been if Tumblr were around back then.

I still like that when Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes his own mom said, and I quote, "You won't! You can't! You mustn't!"