A preference of anime to western animation

edited 2014-06-07 21:25:58 in General
Why?

Comments

• Didn't we just have this thread like, a couple weeks ago?

Anyway:

1. more non-children's non-comedy works
    2. more reliably available on the internet
    3. art style preferences, probably
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    boobs, violence
  • My dreams exceed my real life

boobs, violence

Madbull34.jpg
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    right, see
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Didn't we just have this thread like, a couple weeks ago?

...oh my god we did

and I started it

durr

anyway

as for the art style preferences

most anime looks the same to me, and it's not a style I find very appealing
  • I find that that "standard animesque" style is generally more appealing to me than the various forms of stylized cuteness or stylized...styledness that western shows often have, especially for children'comedy series (e.g. Dexter's Lab, Ed Edd and Eddy, Spongebob, The Simpsons).  They all have distinctive styles, but while they're distinctive, I don't particularly like them.  I'm okay with them (I don't dislike them) but they're not particularly appealing to me.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Dexter's Lab's art style is derived from the UPA style

But people who have no familiarity with UPA act like it started there
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Dexter's Lab looks significantly different from UPA cartoons, although the stylistic influence is obvious

The anime that look best are more realistic ones like Monster and zanier ones like One-Piece, and the anime that look worst are exaggeratedly 'moe' things like Kanon
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The characters in things like Kanon and Bottle Fairy look less like humans and more like the McDonaldland Fry Guys. :(
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kanon is a pretty unpleasant proposition for multiple reasons.

Having seen the remaster of Akira recently, and given my love for Masaaki Yuasa's work in general, I think that, beautiful art direction aside, I just prefer the character designs in the anime I watch to not be stereotypical, at least in terms of modern stereotypes. I like Kaiba's bubbly cartoon people and the angular caricatures of Kino's Journey, Monster's quietly expressive realism and Bokurano's diversity of the plain and irregular, ABe's angelic human aliens and Nekojiru's sketchy demon kittens.

As far as more stereotypical "anime" styles, Hiromu Arakawa and Ume Aoki are stand-outs in their fields, and shows like RahXephon undersell the tropes in a way that makes them work. I also have a certain appreciation for shows that define styles which are no longer in vogue - again, Akira, and Utena.
  • edited 2014-06-09 13:15:34

so i gather it's a heartwarming, Lifetime-esque drama about little girls with severe birth defects?
    Yeah, that's the far, grotesque end of that particular style. Its roots clearly lie in the intense emphasis on the eyes as an expressive feature in shoujo manga, but it's taken to such a degree that it goes from stylisation to dehumanisation.
  • I had always assumed those were animation errors, that shit looks like that on purpose?
  • I'm so scared right now

That picture is the stuff of nightmares

so i gather it's a heartwarming, Lifetime-esque drama about little girls with severe birth defects?

Look at the eyes. Look at them. 

O_O
  • I had always assumed those were animation errors, that shit looks like that on purpose?

that's definitely a tween, like the famous "meduka meguca" images.  But the "real thing" isn't that much less horrifying:

I had always assumed those were animation errors, that shit looks like that on purpose?

Oh, there are errors, but yes, it does.
  • Wilhelm said:

I had always assumed those were animation errors, that shit looks like that on purpose?

that's definitely a tween, like the famous "meduka meguca" images.  But the "real thing" isn't that much less horrifying:

ok no but that's like a significant difference.

Like that picture the art is just bland, the other picture above is actually frightening.

Like that picture the art is just bland, the other picture above is actually frightening.

That's from Kanon; the first was from AIR, I think, which basically looks like that throughout.
  • look at the girl on the far right though.
    It's like someone took The Fly (the Cronenberg version, dammit) and tried to make it cute. :O
  • lee4hmz said:

It's like someone took The Fly (the Cronenberg version, dammit) and tried to make it cute. :O

uguu~
  • edited 2014-06-09 16:47:52
    I'm just going to state it plainly and simply:

Mouths do NOT go that high.

Not to mention they didn't really need to do eyes that big.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

uguu~
  • edited 2014-06-09 23:20:37
    Lilly said:

uguu~
    NO

GET AWAY FROM ME

YOU'RE WORSE THAN A LOVECRAFTIAN HOR--

----

----

--ror~

uguu~
    More moe bull quotes and I kill you all post-haste~!
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

More moe bull quotes and I kill you all post-haste~!

like this?