Britaboo Avenue's House of Wishing She Were British

edited 2014-06-05 16:00:37 in General
everything's so much cooler in england

when i finally move there i'm going to drink nothing but tea and wear nothing but union jack clothing and watch only bbc programmes

you know, just like all british people do

Comments

• *snerk*  There's a reason there are so many British expatriates living around the world, y'know.  I'll defend the place to the death, but it's still a shitehole in many respects.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I wonder how much influence Thatcher's ill-advised budgets cuts and privatisation are still having in the UK. I know we're still suffering from what Saint Ronnie did to the poor here...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    lee4hmz said:

I wonder how much influence Thatcher's ill-advised budgets cuts and privatisation are still having in the UK. I know we're still suffering from what Saint Ronnie did to the poor here...

Plenty. And her policies spread to both sides of the fence. There's a reason she's still so loathed.
  • edited 2014-06-05 17:13:14
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Whereas Reagan still seems to be held in a middling to positive light here because of things that weren't really his fault (he just happened to be President when they happened). Conservative Republicans and Tea Party loyalists love him, but most of the people that know the crap he was party to (ignoring the AIDS crisis, closing mental hospitals, Iran-Contra and pretty much any other foreign policy we had at the time, stuff like that) just sort of grumble under their breath lest the Twitter reactionaries get them. 
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    lee4hmz said:

Whereas Reagan still seems to be held in a middling to positive light here because of things that weren't really his fault (he just happened to be President when they happened). Conservative Republicans and Tea Party loyalists love him, but most of the people that know the crap he was party to (ignoring the AIDS crisis, closing mental hospitals, Iran-Contra and pretty much any other foreign policy we had at the time, stuff like that) just sort of grumble under their breath lest the Twitter reactionaries get them. 

Oh, there are certainly plenty of people who love her, don't get me wrong. (See: the Conservative party) But there's a lot of incredibly strong hatred there as well.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah. I wish people were more strident about what ultra-conservatism is doing here in the US, but it doesn't seem to come up unless you follow political news or you're an activist. Most people either shrug or wave their "DON'T TREAD ON ME" flag in your face. (The really scary ones wave Army of Northern Virginia battle flags...)
  • I'll admit that, although I thought outright partying at Thatcher's death was a little excessive, I did raise a glass to another demon slain, albeit by age and way past the proper time.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I remember seeing a picture of her being welcomed back to Hell by the other reptilians
  • edited 2014-06-05 23:00:13
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    If you somehow magic your way into Britishness, we will instantly become mortal enemies.

Y'know. Because of the opium. And the institutionalized hunger to for more wealth to feed the empire and white man's burden that fucked with all of us, reducing normal folks to subhumans.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    (This thread didn't turn out like I expected. But then, I don't even really know what I expected.)
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Now that we have that out of the way, who wants to come to my house for tea?

I warn you that all we will be doing is drinking unsweetened tea without milk or food in small cups.
  • kill living beings
    anyway, that's wh yyou should move to burma.
  • Now that we have that out of the way, who wants to come to my house for tea?

I warn you that all we will be doing is drinking unsweetened tea without milk or food in small cups.
    im down w/ that
  • "What's Britain like? Uhh, s'alright... We've got, uh, Nectar Points. They're quite handy. Um... we've got understatement... We're tough on slogans, tough on the causes of slogans... We have strong prevailing south-westerly winds... 52% of our days are overcast, so as a nation we're infused with a wistful melancholy, but we remain a relentlessly chipper population prone to mild eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence. Breakfast is served 7 til 9."
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Eccentricity is the middle name of all Heapers, you know
  • I wouldn't call it mild though
  • in england? come on. if you are going to wish you were british then at least go for scotland. its like england but without the petty small minded conservative middle englanders, and with friendlier, less uptight people, an absurd variety of deep fried junk food, and even more of an alcohol problem

and the scenery is nicer
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I like the public image that Scots possess.

And I do love the Proclaimers.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The joke is that the kind of people I'm parodying use "Britian" and "England" interchangeably
  • Anonus said:

Eccentricity is the middle name of all Heapers, you know

I don't know where you got that information; my middle name is Roy
  • edited 2014-06-07 11:34:50
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The joke is that we're responding to you as if you were being serious.

The other joke is that I really like the Proclaimers.

There are multiple levels of humor at work here.
  • I'm part Scottish, so I would love to move to Scotland some day.

But I'm also a Yorkshire lass (minus the accent. It's been watered down via private education).
  • [stupid joke] are you black or a cyclops?