But Anonus MLP:FIM is for

dun dun dun

BRONIES
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    oddly enough, I kind of do too
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    realtalk tho those days were fun
  • i miss it too sometimes tbh

i've thought about getting myself a Vinyl Scratch avie again out of nostalgia sometimes but then i think about terrible brony stuff and i don't ._.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tachyon said:

But Anonus MLP:FIM is for

dun dun dun

BRONIES

THOSE BRONIES CAN'T TAKE OUR COW TOWNS PONIES AWAY
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    we should have a pony avatar theme day sometime, maybe

or maybe not
    i'd be up for that
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @Anonus: hey, me too!

Especially since our obsessions-of-the-moment haven't lined up in a write
    a write
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    A WHILE.

FUCKING SWYPE.
    a swhyle
  • edited 2014-06-05 05:26:26

• edited 2014-06-05 05:26:46
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Even back in 2011 (the days I refer to) people seemed to be vitriolic about MLP:FIM fans...

To be honest, I'd imagine to most people, MLP:FIM's adult fandom seems like the sort of thing that should only be encountered when one goes "too deep" into the Internet, and thus inherently repulsive, thus fueling the hatred...though it isn't completely terrible or completely creepy
  • A WHILE.

FUCKING SWYPE.

coming soon to an iOS device near you!
  • edited 2014-06-05 09:29:39
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Anonus said:

To be honest, I'd imagine to most people, MLP:FIM's adult fandom seems like the sort of thing that should only be encountered when one goes "too deep" into the Internet, and thus inherently repulsive, thus fueling the hatred...though it isn't completely terrible or completely creepy
    From my observations as someone who never really got into the fandom: Yes, it has its creeps and weirdos. But then again, you can go to the adult Pokémon fandom and find people who are unhealthily obsessed with sexy Gardevoir and the like. I don't really think MLP necessarily has worse of a fandom than most other children's franchises. It's just the novelty of a massive fanbase for a "girly" show that gets it all the attention.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I feel mildly bad I wasn't awake to help dear through whatever anxiety made her delete her post.

If only I didn't have to wake up early to work on my catch-up assignment...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I never got the whole Gardevoir thing, myself.
  • I don't miss it because I was in the minority not being into it.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I miss those days, too.

I never saw the hatred for the MLP fandom, and I never saw the worst of the MLP fandom. To me, it was all just innocent fun with childlike appeal.

I guess I had the same luck with the Sonic fandom.
  • Wilhelm said:

I don't miss it because I was in the minority not being into it.

yeah that

did not see the appeal and still don't.
  • edited 2014-06-05 15:27:45
    I never got into it, but I also never got the vitriol against it and/or its adult fans.  Sure, a minority of said fans have acted really badly, but that's the case with anything that gets popular.  I don't think MLP fans have been any worse in that regard than anyone else.

(edited to add) Oh, and the anti-fandom or anti-brony people have been if anything worse, just like the Twilight hatedom was more annoying than the fandom.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My opinion of the show itself is pretty much the same as it's always been. It's a fun show for what it is, and I've enjoyed what little I've seen of it. But at the same time, I'm not overly into it.
    Morven said:

I never got into it, but I also never got the vitriol against it and/or its adult fans.  Sure, a minority of said fans have acted really badly, but that's the case with anything that gets popular.  I don't think MLP fans have been any worse in that regard than anyone else.

I'd say "rebuttal: Princess Molestia", but then people will just rebut my rebuttal with other fandoms' Molestia equivalents and I don't really need that
  • I tend to diagnose the issue as being one with humanity, not one created by specific fandoms.
  • Over the years I've kind of hardened on older fans of things intended for children.

If it's something you grew up with, like some 90s cartoon or Pokemon or whatever, that's one thing, but if it's something that's new, you really need to be careful about how you act if you're a fan of it.

To give an example with something I actually do like, I feel like a lot of Adventure Time's older fans miss that the show is for children, or even actively deny it. In particular I saw a gifset of various "life lessons" being taught on the show and two of the associated comments were a very telling "HOW IS THIS SHOW FOR KIDS?!" and a snarky "it's not they only dumb it down b/c it's on cartoon network"

That attitude is outright dangerous, because at some point you go from just liking something that kids also like to actively trying to take it away from them, which is going to deprive them of good media that leaves them culturally enriched, and of cultural touchstones later in life.
    Are these people aware that Cartoon Network was and is the master at speaking to kids and adults without alienating either?

Also, maybe I'm numb to older fans of kids' things because, well, Toon Zone.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Once upon a time, Friendship is Magic was a new series headed by Lauren Faust, Homestuck was still a thing and was building to a critical mass in popularity and infamy, and I didn't know anything about Touhou at all, except that it was a really hard game with magical girls in it.
    I'm pretty sure that by the time you came along Faust had already departed the show...
    Somehow it's hard to imagine you not knowing much about Touhou
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    One day in mid-2012, I wondered what new thing I should try to get into, and Mo the Show suggested the touhous, and I was a leeeetle nervous because the games were hard as fuck when I played them, and also I was a little skeptical because of the mainly all-girl cast, buuuuuuuuut, I gave it another try, and my life was changed forever. I realized the games are awesome and the cast is fantastic.
  • Morven said:

I'd say "rebuttal: Princess Molestia", but then people will just rebut my rebuttal with other fandoms' Molestia equivalents and I don't really need that
    other fandoms had a fan comic that mostly consisted of raunchy ecchi jokes and was thought of something much worse than it really was?
  • From what I can see from afar, the biggest issue with Molestia was the name.
    Morven said:

From what I can see from afar, the biggest issue with Molestia was the name.

pretty much yeah
  • watching people throw conniption fits over it being taken down was pretty fun tho
    That was pretty amusing, yeah
  • edited 2014-06-05 17:54:11
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    For some reason, when I think of the term "Molestia", I think of how I withheld myself from watching Friendship is Witchcraft for too long because they used it, despite the fact they didn't even intend it that way.
    (2015 self)
    Miko said:

One day in mid-2012, I wondered what new thing I should try to get into, and Mo the Show suggested the touhous, and I was a leeeetle nervous because the games were hard as fuck when I played them, and also I was a little skeptical because of the mainly all-girl cast, buuuuuuuuut, I gave it another try, and my life was changed forever. I realized the games are awesome and the cast is fantastic.

You know, I'm not entirely sure that the amount of Touhou you play is healthy for you. Beating easy mode once is enough, and an achievement.
    The first sentence there may or may not be onto something, but the one after it is one I strongly disagree with. ^_^
    (2015 self)
    Miko said:

The first sentence there may or may not be onto something, but the one after it is one I strongly disagree with. ^_^

Well, you did a no death run of Normal. That is an achievement.
    I did seven of them, actually. :o It wasn't hard.
  • With a couple installments as exceptions, Touhou isn't that difficult once you learn how to stop being overwhelmed by the spectacle and learn to process it -- at least on Normal.

Also, to at least halfway rerail the thread,

what is that?
  • An abomination.
    well but apart from that
    Kex what are your thoughts on MLP, other than that that thing is an abomination?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-06-07 03:51:43
    It's Seabreeze as a yukkuri, telling you to take it easy.

I said HALFWAY rerail.
  • now I'm just thinking of when IllFlower said that "yukkuri shiteitte ne" sounded like a hentai phrase
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I realize that while everything has bad fans, I don't go to places where I hear stories about bad fans of say, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. So to me, MLP sticks out in my head as "thing with the worst fans."

It's completely irrational.