Tachyon vs. Singularitarian Libertarian Math Nerds: Let's Read Less Wrong!

edited 2014-05-29 15:44:33 in General Media
The plan is that I'll start with the kinds of posts a newbie Lesswrongian encounters first - Yudkowsky's brand of geeky self-help, armchair psychology and rationalist backpatting.  Assuming I keep going with this, I intend to review The Methods of Rationality, take on Roko's Basilisk, and examine some of the kookier fringe movements popular with Lesswrongians, possibly including the 'Dark Enlightenment' itself.  But all that is assuming I don't get bored after the first few entries.  For now I'm starting small, so we'll see how long it takes before I never want to hear the word 'singularity' again.

A note of caution - for those who aren't aware, some of the content of LW is decidedly un-PC, and some Lesswrongians are downright bigoted.  As far as I'm aware, Yudkowsky himself isn't too bad; still, I'll do my best to give fair warning if the content of the site approaches racist, sexist or otherwise hateful territory.

On a related note, I realize this kind of thread has the potential to become a mock thread very quickly.  I'm going to resist that temptation, and because I don't want this thread to get prematurely shut down, I ask that you please do the same.  If the stuff I'm reading is stupid, I'm not going to hesitate to say so, but I will try not to be cruel and will give the Lesswrongians' arguments a fair listen.  If any mods or admins think I'm out of line please let me know.

1. Home, About and 'Your intuitions are not magic'

Alright, so, first impressions: the first thing you see when arriving on the site is a picture of a person's head.  It looks kind of like those old psychology diagrams where they label what part of the brain is responsible for what.  The nose contains the words 'Less Wrong is:' and the brain informs us that it is 'A curated group blog', 'A community discussion board', 'A source of edited rationality materials' '...And a promoter of regular meetups around the world.'  I'm not sure what to click first, so let's check out their about page, which is linked at the top of the page.

This reads kind of like an advertisement for the site.  'Interested in improving your reasoning and decision-making skills?'  Why, yes, I am.  Let's see what you have to offer, Less Wrong.  Helpfully, they provide a list of articles to get newbie Lesswrongians started.  Amusingly, the page also contains a warning that the community uses extensive jargon (they recommend using their wiki to understand it) and that users of the site 'don't automatically reject... and sometimes endorse' ideas which they term odd, such as transhumanism, cryonics and what they euphemistically call 'caution regarding AI research'.

There's information about IRL meetups, an FAQ, and information on how to contribute to the site.  They also assert that 'blog archives can make for better reading than books'.  We shall see about that.

At this point I must say I'm already a little confused - specifically about the name of the site.  Is it LessWrong or Less Wrong?  The logo at the top of every page says the former, but otherwise they seem to prefer the latter.

The first linked article is entitled 'Your intuitions are not magic' (by Kaj_Sotala, 10 June 2010 at 12:11AM).  It has a 98% positive rating and is apparently a basic article aimed at newbie readers, so it seems as good a place to start as any.

The article begins with a warning against the misuse of statistics.  There's an explanation of Pearson's correlation coefficient, and an example of how it might be misleading if misapplied.  Kaj then introduces the general principle that using one tool for every job will not always produce the right results.
Of course, assuming that makes about as much sense as assuming that your hammer is magical and can be used to repair anything. Even if you had a broken window, you could fix that by hitting it with your magic hammer.

We then get an explanation of how we make assumptions, correct and incorrect, about the world, with links to supporting studies.  Although this article is presented as introductory, it clearly wasn't one of the first to be written, since there are a number of references to prior articles.

The general argument here is that sometimes we rely on our intuitions even when they run counter to mathematical and scientific information, with the conclusion that we should pay attention to the cognitive sciences and question our own mental processes.  So far, so sensible; there's nothing here that strikes me as particularly surprising or controversial.  I can see how maybe this line of reasoning might be intended to open the reader's mind to more outlandish claims, but at this point it all sounds pretty harmless.  The authorial voice sounds informed and scientific, so I can see how this would appeal to new readers interested in rationality and refining their own mental processes.

Gonna stop here for now.  More whenever I feel like it.

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    This should be interesting.
  • Yeah.  I do NOT have good experiences with LessWrongians, so I'll admit I'm quite prejudiced (and I must say that Roko's Basilisk gives me unseemly entertainment at how they've managed to conjure demons out of their peculiar beliefs).  But I'll refrain from pointing and laughing.

RationalWiki's article on it is I believe actually fairly accurate, although as normal with that site, they have no problems pointing and laughing. 
  • Note that the AI in this setting is not a malicious or evil superintelligence (SkyNet, the Master Control Program, AM, HAL-9000) — but the Friendly one we get if everything goes right and humans don't create a bad one. This is because every day the AI doesn't exist, people die that it could have saved; so punishing your future simulation is a moral imperative, to make it more likely you will contribute in the present and help it happen as soon as possible.
    ok, here's where i get stuck.

i get that the threat of future violence is supposed to work as an incentive, but i'd rather think that a dispassionate machine god would see that creating simulacrums of past persons to punish now would be a waste of resources.
  • edited 2014-05-29 18:11:28
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Exactly my thought. Furthermore, it assumes that the Machine God here is not a truly and deeply compassionate soul that would rather gently chide and educate the ignorant than torture them I Have No Mouth-style as punishment.

I think that this goes to show that a lot of so-called rationalists still have yet to shed the grimmer trappings of Christian education from their world-views, or at least are secretly rather bleak-minded, authoritarian people.
  • never trust anyone who claims to be rational
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Indeed.

Or at least, anyone who does not do so with their tongue at least 50% in cheek.
  • But let's not jump too far ahead; Tachyon, sorry if I jumped your gun there.
  • edited 2014-05-29 18:25:13
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    No it's cool, I'm not sure I wanna comment on stuff like that at this stage since I should like to follow their own reasoning up to that point, but feel free to discuss LessWrong as much as you want here.
  • edited 2014-05-29 18:42:39
    The thing is with LessWrongers is that they are generally extremely smart people and a lot of the basic stuff is eminently reasonable and sensible.  It feels to me, though, that ultimately they fall to the bugs in their own thinking, one of which is the hubris of being mesmerized by their own smarts.

Especially, they take Bayesian probability way out of scope and start believing the noise, in a way analogous to how UFOlogists analyse noisy, burred photos of something and start seeing detail that's just really natural patterns in the noise.

In the end, all you're really looking at is what you yourself put there.
  • kill living beings
    i am willing to talk about bayesian inference even though nobody cares, on command
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ That sounds somewhat similar to the critique of Moldbug that Odradek linked recently.

About how he starts with his conclusion first, and then sets about finding evidence in support of it.
    Morven said:

The thing is with LessWrongers is that they are generally extremely smart people and a lot of the basic stuff is eminently reasonable and sensible.  It feels to me, though, that ultimately they fall to the bugs in their own thinking, one of which is the hubris of being mesmerized by their own smarts.

Especially, they take Bayesian probability way out of scope and start believing the noise, in a way analogous to how UFOlogists analyse noisy, burred photos of something and start seeing detail that's just really natural patterns in the noise.

In the end, all you're really looking at is what you yourself put there.
    Pretty much, although I would be less kind about how infatuated with their own intellect some of them seem to be. I can recognise that these are frequently genuinely very intelligent people, but they are also very up their own rears about the fact that they are, technically speaking, not stupid, to the point that they devalue forms of intelligence which they either lack to some degree or find incompatible with their ideology. Which is what it is: An ideology, like strict dialectic materialism.
  • edited 2014-05-29 18:58:01
    Most of my exposure to Lesswrongers in the past has been via TVT.

They generally gave the impression of being intelligent and reasonable people, but I found them difficult to argue with because sometimes they would dismiss something which I thought was reasonable, and they couldn't explain why without reference to confusing terminology or linking one of Yudkowsky's sequences, which frustrated me.
    Again, heads up rears. Not bad people by definition, but still.
  • LW has the same problem TVT has, in that it's a place where people define new terminology for a field, ignoring the work of others in the same field.  Not unsurprising, but I think this is worse when it's to do with science and technology than with writing about media.  
    True. It might also be worth noting that TVT is actually marginally better about this in that they tend to incorporate older terminology rather than invent new jargon wholesale: Every acting student has heard expressions like "milking the giant cow" and "better a lampshade than a bare bulb" at some point, and things like narm and squick have been memetic terms for a good while.
    I've heard that Less Wrong's mother site, Overcoming Bias, is worse, and it's daughter site, Slate Star Codex, is better.

So perhaps there is forward motion.
  • edited 2014-05-29 19:36:10
    ^^ Yeah; in the TRS we would always give precedence to pre-existing terms (industry, critical or fandom) where they existed.

^ I've heard a lot about Slate Star Codex of late.  I'm curious, I must say, but not all that I've heard has been good.
  • edited 2014-06-02 19:57:22
    Indeed.

Quite honestly, I can relate to that third paragraph.  It's remarkably similar to the reasons I used to feel so comfortable in OTC.
  • Wait, wait, wait.  We're forgetting the most important question here.

HAVE YOU READ THE SEQUENCES
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    It's funny how people assume that liberal, freethinking communities implicitly means silencing conservatives, and are confused and distressed by exceptions.

Not that LW is particularly open-minded, when it takes fringe and intellectually controversial ideas like the Singularity as obvious truths...
  • @Tachyon: I think that attitude is the old Internet way of doing things, fr.ex. Usenet.  "You can believe anything you want as long as you behave yourself appropriately."

The issue with that is that you end up tolerating pubic display of exceptionally bigoted and vile beliefs; worse, you then end up judging those who "rock the boat" by arguing against those beliefs as worse people for breaking the civility rule than those who felt free to express their bigotry in nicely worded posts.

I think there's a place for both, TBH.
  • edited 2014-06-02 20:15:01
    Bee said:

Wait, wait, wait.  We're forgetting the most important question here.

HAVE YOU READ THE SEQUENCES

Heh. But no, not yet. This is a busy week for me, although I should like to get to the sequences soon.
    Mr Darcy said:

It's funny how people assume that liberal, freethinking communities implicitly means silencing conservatives, and are confused and distressed by exceptions.

Not that LW is particularly open-minded, when it takes fringe and intellectually controversial ideas like the Singularity as obvious truths...

That kind of silencing of dissent is hardly exclusive to liberal communities, is it? But it depends what is meant by 'conservatives' here. Bigots are a special case, since by posting they silence minorities. Many conservatives would be equally uncomfortable around such people.
    Morven said:

@Tachyon: I think that attitude is the old Internet way of doing things, fr.ex. Usenet.  "You can believe anything you want as long as you behave yourself appropriately."

The issue with that is that you end up tolerating pubic display of exceptionally bigoted and vile beliefs; worse, you then end up judging those who "rock the boat" by arguing against those beliefs as worse people for breaking the civility rule than those who felt free to express their bigotry in nicely worded posts.

I think there's a place for both, TBH.

Yes, I had gotten the impression that this was something closer associated with older internet communities... I feel it kind of died, for the most part, once the Internet became less insular and no longer a niche thing. It's having to adjust to the influx of the values of wider society now, which tend to be given precedent over the established values of the Internet community in question. Look at the way Something Awful has changed over the years.
  • It didn't really die, so much as it separated off into echo bubbles.  In some ways that's almost worse, because then the offenders reinforce each other.
  • edited 2014-06-02 20:58:29
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Tachyon said:

Bee said:

Mr Darcy said:

That kind of silencing of dissent is hardly exclusive to liberal communities, is it? But it depends what is meant by 'conservatives' here. Bigots are a special case, since by posting they silence minorities. Many conservatives would be equally uncomfortable around such people.
    Of course it's not exclusive, but it is hypocrisy. If you're going to claim association with the Enlightenment, with freethinking liberals saying apocryphal things like "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it", silencing dissent makes you hypocrites.
    In a better world, I could agree that "bigots" (racists?) are a special case, but liberals, at least the advanced ones online, consider all conservatives bigots. You can be silenced for dissent on homosexuality, on Islam (a neat trick, supporting both), saying something seen as ableist, or whatever. The list only grows longer with time.
    Well, homophobes, Islamophobes and ableists are all bigots, so...
  • edited 2014-06-02 21:02:03
    Anyway, I think you're assuming 'liberals' (a term which is very often applied by conservatives and is not always a term of identification for the people you're talking about) are trying to claim association with a tradition in which they are largely not interested, or are interested only in specific parts.

The present day liberal owes at least as much to Marx as to the Enlightenment, and more to the modern media and education system than either of those.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    And all rationally self-interested homosexuals would be Islamophobes while all pious Muslims would call for them to be punished according to sharia...

One can imagine a leftist version of the Singularity, where the list of thoughts considered bigoted has gotten so long by the time the Revolution happens that everyone is sent to a reeducation camp except the homosexual transgender disabled Muslim women of color, who promptly kill themselves out of cognitive dissonance.
    Tachyon said:

Anyway, I think you're assuming 'liberals' (a term which is very often applied by conservatives and is not always a term of identification for the people you're talking about) are trying to claim association with a tradition in which they are largely not interested, or are interested only in specific parts.

The present day liberal owes at least as much to Marx as to the Enlightenment, and more to the modern media and education system than either of those.

Well of course if they're Marxists they're not hypocrites for silencing dissent. Then politics just becomes a struggle to be the group that gets to make the laws limiting speech, without concern for the ideal of a state with freedom of speech.
  • edited 2014-06-02 21:18:23
    Mr Darcy said:

And all rationally self-interested homosexuals would be Islamophobes while all pious Muslims would call for them to be punished according to sharia...

One can imagine a leftist version of the Singularity, where the list of thoughts considered bigoted has gotten so long by the time the Revolution happens that everyone is sent to a reeducation camp except the homosexual transgender disabled Muslim women of color, who promptly kill themselves out of cognitive dissonance.
    Don't be ridiculous.  Your hypothetical scenario is stupid and grotesque, and I think you know it.

Setting that aside, I don't see the sense in positing a never-ending list of groups-which-are-not-to-be-discriminated-against.  The progressive stance is quite simply that everyone should be respected for who they are, and nobody should be considered a lesser human being due to facts of their appearance or their culture of origin, which are outside their control and which are, in any case, a terrible reason to treat someone badly.

It is true that traditional Islam is in opposition to most of the values espoused by liberals, but that doesn't mean Muslims should be subject to racial or religious hatred.  I don't see how this is a difficult concept.
  • edited 2014-06-02 21:25:13
    Actually, in your assertion that 'all rationally self-interested homosexuals should be Islamophobes' I'm reminded of Aliroz's recent lament in the Trash Heap that it would be 'racist' for him to condemn the Chinese for their cruelty towards and slaughter of crocodilians.

My response to you here is basically the same as my response to him there: there is no contradiction in criticizing aspects of a culture which are morally damaging, while nevertheless supporting the right of that culture to exist as a culture distinct from our own (which also contains morally damaging aspects which should be condemned on the same grounds).

And also supporting the rights of people of ethnicities associated with that culture to exist in our society unmolested, which tends not to happen when our society deems religious discrimination acceptable.
    A few things:

1. Islam is, behind Christianity, the largest religious group on the planet, and thus encompasses too many shadings of ideology to say that it is, by definition, anything in particular other than a theistic religion following an ancient prophet from the Arabian peninsula. Many of the places in the world that are predominantly Muslim are disturbingly reactionary, but there are reasons for that far deeper than what faith they follow. Consider the difference in interpretation of the Bible between the average New England Cognregationalist, their Puritan ancestors, Ugandan evangelists and Mormons. Lots of variation.
    2. Islamophobia tends to have an underlying xenophobic animus tied to a streak of religious or ethnic superiority with blind spots regarding the behaviour of those within one's own religious group, generally making excuses for misbehaviour of Christians who take Leviticus literally but holding all Muslims accountable for those who take Sharia literally.
    3. "Dissent" on homosexuality tends to imply the belief that those who do not conform to given gender roles or sexual orientations should not receive equal treatment as human beings. That, say, their church need not marry two women for those women to receive full spousal benefits does not seem to cross their minds, or else tends to go hand in hand with the belief that government should directly reflect their personal interpretation of scripture, usually at the expense of other ideologies.
    4. There are fine lines wherein one goes from making factual statements to assumptions and assumptions to outright bigoted statements, particularly when discussing ability. I would need specific examples to say whether or not I found the statements in question bigoted or merely, however; it's a very knotty thing.

Also:

Tachyon said:

Mr Darcy said:

Don't be ridiculous.  Your hypothetical scenario is stupid and grotesque, and I think you know it.

Setting that aside, I don't see the sense in positing a never-ending list of groups-which-are-not-to-be-discriminated-against.  The progressive stance is quite simply that everyone should be respected for who they are, and nobody should be considered a lesser human being due to facts of their appearance or their culture of origin, which are outside their control and which are, in any case, a terrible reason to treat someone badly.

It is true that traditional Islam is in opposition to most of the values espoused by liberals, but that doesn't mean Muslims should be subject to racial or religious hatred.  I don't see how this is a difficult concept.
    Yeah, this.

It's like saying that all Jews want to stone women in pits or all Lutherans want to burn said Jews at the stake.
    Tachyon said:

Actually, in your assertion that 'all rationally self-interested homosexuals should be Islamophobes' I'm reminded of Aliroz's recent lament in the Trash Heap that it would be 'racist' for him to condemn the Chinese for their cruelty towards and slaughter of crocodilians.

My response to you here is basically the same as my response to him there: there is no contradiction in criticizing aspects of a culture which are morally damaging, while nevertheless supporting the right of that culture to exist as a culture distinct from our own (which also contains morally damaging aspects which should be condemned on the same grounds).

Totally agreed, although I think that Mr. Darcy is gunning for an argument in the way that Al was not.

Let's re-rail this, shall we, and make fun of Roko's Basilisk some more!
  • We have developed an unfortunate blindness to blatant chain-rattling here at the Heap.
  • edited 2014-06-02 21:28:50
    Seeing as Mr Darcy apparently sees himself as a proverbial gadfly in the Socratic sense, and since this is 'my' thread, I thought it would be best to respond.  Perhaps not.

If this line of discussion is making people uncomfortable, then I suppose yes, we should return to discussion of LessWrong.

Of course, in doing so we're doing exactly what Mr Darcy just complained about, but I suppose that may have been a tactical complaint on his part.
  • I did one of those things where I could not quite think of the expression I was looking for so just posted the closest thing that came to mind.
    Tachyon said:

Seeing as Mr Darcy apparently sees himself as a proverbial gadfly in the Socratic sense,

There's a word for people who see themselves as purveyors of knowledge through trickery or dickery, and it is not a nice word.
    Tachyon said:

If this line of discussion is making people uncomfortable, then I suppose yes, we should return to discussion of LessWrong.

Of course, in doing so we're doing exactly what Mr Darcy just complained about, but I suppose that may have been a tactical complaint on his part.

So?

We have developed an unfortunate blindness to blatant chain-rattling here at the Heap.

I am clinically blind to chain-rattling until my chain has been thoroughly rattled. But to be honest, I find it fun to shoot easy targets sometimes.
  • my boyfriend is just adorably oblivious all around. :3
    Tachyon said:

Seeing as Mr Darcy apparently sees himself as a proverbial gadfly in the Socratic sense, and since this is 'my' thread, I thought it would be best to respond.  Perhaps not.

We do tend to have kneejerk bad reactions to opinions we don't like, but that doesn't mean our reasons for those opinions aren't legitimate. Hence, chains gettin' rattled.
    Tachyon said:

^ I've heard a lot about Slate Star Codex of late.  I'm curious, I must say, but not all that I've heard has been good.

It's mostly stupid, but occasionally there's something interesting.

Also he wrote a five billion page FAQ on why Moldbug makes no sense at any level, which is cool.

my boyfriend is just adorably oblivious all around. :3

You're a jerk!

I love you so much.
    Tachyon said:

Mr Darcy said:

Why isn't there sense in it? The Old Left was against racism, sexism, and classism, but had no political interest in homosexuality transgenderism or disabilities, and supported discriminating against religious people. So the list of "isms" the Left considers bigotry growing is just a historical fact.
    Furthermore, some of the protected categories are behaviors rather than appearance or culture of origin, such as homosexuality. I don't buy that you can fit in among progressives by having a timeless consistent principle like that. Their demands... progress.

"I don't see how this is a difficult concept."

Ask the Dutch why it isn't a simple concept.
    Anyway, you should move on to why you need to buy your children cryogenic tubes to be a rational parent, or such.
  • edited 2014-06-02 21:37:14
    'Appearance' was a poor word choice.  Homosexuality is not just a behaviour, it's something inherent in a person's psychological makeup (ditto transgenders).  And I would say that the Old Left, which incidentally was not nearly as monolithic as you imply, did not always live up to the principles of equality it espoused.

I'm getting the sense that this line of discussion is unwelcome here, and that it would perhaps be better if we were to discontinue it.
  • honestly everyone should buy their kids cryogenic tubes because cryogenic tubes are hella rad.
    ...I'm thinking I should be mindful of my own tendency to get drawn into this kind of debate before passing judgement on the denizens of Less Wrong.
    Mr. Darcy said:

Tachyon said:

Mr Darcy said:

Why isn't there sense in it? The Old Left was against racism, sexism, and classism, but had no political interest in homosexuality transgenderism or disabilities, and supported discriminating against religious people. So the list of "isms" the Left considers bigotry growing is just a historical fact.
    Furthermore, some of the protected categories are behaviors rather than appearance or culture of origin, such as homosexuality. I don't buy that you can fit in among progressives by having a timeless consistent principle like that. Their demands... progress.

"I don't see how this is a difficult concept."

Ask the Dutch why it isn't a simple concept.
    Sometimes behaviour is a consequence of biology. If it's not destructive, why bother?

And again:

It's like saying that all Jews want to stone women in pits or all Lutherans want to burn said Jews at the stake.

How are you not processing this?
  • edited 2014-06-02 21:41:39
    I'm not sure we're even on the same page as Mr Darcy here; from a conservative perspective, any deviation from the traditional nuclear family embodying traditional gender roles is often interpreted as socially destructive.

*shrug*