Let's Talk Memory!

edited 2014-05-29 01:36:03 in Talk
How good is your memory, and how much do you remember on average, both short and long term? What is your favorite memory? What’s the one memory you wish you could completely forget (if any)?
Tagged:

Comments

• Memory's pretty errant. Never remembers anything unless I insist that it does, and even then...

Man, I have whole swathes of memories that I'd like to wipe out. 
  • in terms of events: my memory has always been garbage, both short and long-term, and depression don't help none. and even the stuff i can remember i can't place in order effectively.

in terms of facts: i remember crazy amounts of things
  • edited 2014-05-29 02:17:57
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^^Do elaborate :3 (unless they're somehow too horrible to share I guess even though that'd be total bs)

^same
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I'm bad at remembering events and facts.

I'm best at remembering feelings, but only negative ones.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Apparently my memory is impressively detailed, at least from what other people say.

Though personally recalling insignificant details always felt natural to me and it kinda weirds me out that most people seemingly CAN'T do it.
  • edited 2014-05-29 02:23:19
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I am very good with sounds, places, facts and other things like that, but I'm not very good with putting names to faces and vice-versa. In terms of events and experiences, things get more complicated, as I can remember very specific sensations, thoughts and experiences yet sometimes forget other very important things or not be able to fully elaborate on on the context of what I recall.
  • Apparently my memory is impressively detailed, at least from what other people say.

Though personally recalling insignificant details always felt natural to me and it kinda weirds me out that most people seemingly CAN'T do it.

I can recall some specific insignificant details. Not all of them in a given thing though.

Like, I could describe to you in pretty good detail, if given enough time, the chair we owned when we lived at my grandma's house when I was a preschooler, and what our dogs Shaun-Ti and Tyler looked like. And my preschool teacher's face. Random stuff, y'know.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Apparently my memory is impressively detailed, at least from what other people say.

my memory is mostly that sort of weird detail and mathematical shit

other things often just pass through
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I can recall some specific insignificant details. Not all of them in a given thing though.

Like, I could describe to you in pretty good detail, if given enough time, the chair we owned when we lived at my grandma's house when I was a preschooler, and what our dogs Shaun-Ti and Tyler looked like. And my preschool teacher's face. Random stuff, y'know.
    That is the vast majority of my memory, excluding extremely positive/traumatic/important events and, well... music. So very much music.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't fucking remember anything.

Except useless facts and embarrassing things that I have done.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Embarrassing memories give me what amount to Tourette's tics sometimes: I start reading things aloud or saying odd words to myself involuntarily.
  • Embarrassing memories give me what amount to Tourette's tics sometimes: I start reading things aloud or saying odd words to myself involuntarily.

i do that too, trying to block out the remembering...
  • edited 2014-05-29 03:28:40
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    We really are shockingly alike.

...actually, I have suspected at times that I might have a mild form of Tourette's syndrome. I have a lot of weird tics that come out when I am under stress that can't really be explained in normal ways...
    despite what I said earlier, I am good at remembering names

and usually melodies, as well
  • ^^Do elaborate :3 (unless they're somehow too horrible to share I guess even though that'd be total bs)

^same

They're not horrible. They're just embarrassing on a personal level.

And even then, part of me would rather keep them on the basis of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    My memory is detailed. Too detailed.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I remember a lot of things, which is terrible.

However, I think my memory is getting worse over time, so there is hope.
    I want my memories, for the same reason Yarrun wants to hang on to bad memories

forgetting kind of scares me, but at this point what doesn't
  • It's not even 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. It's 'what doesn't kill you makes you you'

Wiping out memories, especially in large swathes, is the same thing as erasing yourself, which is the same thing as killing yourself, which is a bad thing that one should not do.
  • edited 2014-05-29 12:37:43
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Yeah, I can see that reasoning.

I've always wanted to be able to control my memories... I kind of fantasize about being able to retain any fact I want, while being able to delete or temporarily suppress memories that are inconvenient (in itself not something I'd want to do, but potentially useful for time-travel-based system-gaming).

Also being able to maintain ordinarily traumatic memories without suffering psychological pain, that would be useful.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I though I had shitty memory until I scored 75% on long term memory in a test.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I have a rather thorough journal, and that helps my memory quite a lot.