[OOC] Tavern Tales - If We Must Die, Let The Cosmos Live/General Game Discussion Thread

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm here. 

We begin.
  • edited 2014-06-20 21:43:46
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Do you guys want me to fight the Bat to show you how combat works?

Also I added rules to the first post of the IC thread. Please read.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'll wait for other folks to post what they want before moving on.
  • Yeah, that would probably be pretty helpful. I haven't done a PBP RPG in years, and I don't think I've ever done one that actually used dice rolls, so this is all kind of new to me. And since this is a system I've never played before, it would probably be incredibly helpful if you were to do so. 
  • edited 2014-06-22 04:52:46
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'll try and get one up for you all today.

It's Sunday, so we're going to church and we'll probably end up doing nonsense shopping or whatever.
  • edited 2014-06-23 05:31:43
    BATTLE LOG: 
    Gu = 35/40. 
    Bian Fu = -1/45.

First, we start with an initiative roll, based on Finesse.
    Bian Fu: [17, 16, 15] +3 = 19
    Gu: [7, 9, 5] -2 = 7.

Bian Fu gets the first blow in. It makes sense for both to alternate actions, so that's what we'll do. Every four actions is one in-game round, as with boxing.
  • edited 2014-06-22 05:07:42
    Bian Fu attacks with Finesse. [17, 14, 11] +3 = 17. The attack succeeds. Gu takes 5 damage. Roll lost because I am an idiot.
  • edited 2014-06-22 04:40:08
    Gu bolsters with Spirit. [18, 13, 5] +3. 16. Success. Gu gains 1 advantage. In addition, Gu manages to trigger Bian Fu's weakness/hidden trait, and thus Bian Fu is now blinded. All attack rolls regarding to sight are now decreased.

Note: If the normal roll is equal to 11, then I will not be adding the modifier. 11 is a success.
    Bian Fu attacks with Finesse. [8, 5, 2] +3, decrease. The attack fails. 
    Gu attacks with Physique. [19, 10, 2] +2. I spend my advantage to increase the attack’s roll and increase the attack’s damage 3 steps. 

[1d8 → 1d10 → 1d12 → 3d6] 3d6 = [5, 6, 4].

Bian Fu takes 15 damage.
    The fight takes a pause here. You can now use the few minutes of rest to do a couple things, if you so wish.
  • Is that last sentence part of the tutorial, or is it you, the GM, telling us that the tutorial's paused and we can roleplay for a bit?
    The latter.

Regardless, you can roleplay for a bit, if you want. If you want the tutorial to keep going, let me know.
  • edited 2014-06-22 09:30:23
    Oh god I keep thinking bat as in the fuzzy flying mouse. Maybe some brief physical descriptions of creatures might be useful? Also do continue the tutorial.
    Well, it is a fuzzy flying mouse.

Although good point. I will add some.
    He doesn't like you. But don't take it personally; he doesn't like anybody.
  • edited 2014-06-23 08:42:55
    The match continues. Initiative roll, Finesse again.
    Bian Fu: [11, 8, 1] +3 = 11.
    Gu: [20, 20, 18] -1 = 19, critical. 
    Gu wins Initiative, and gains 1 advantage.

Gu attacks with Physique [15, 12, 2] +2 = 14, and spends 1 advantage to increase damage by 3 steps. 
    1d8 → 1d10 → 1d12 → 3d6 + 2 = [5 + 4 + 5 + 2] = 16. 
    Bian Fu takes 16 damage.

Bian Fu activates his trait, 'Dizzying Shriek', using up his action. Gu is slowed for 1d4 (2) turns, and decreases all Finesse-related rolls for one minute. Bian Fu cannot use this trait anymore. 

Gu in turn activates his trait, 'Jet Storm.' It requires a successful bolster, which I rule requires Spirit. [8, 8, 5] +3 = 11. It is successful. Bian Fu is Large (10-foot space) and is knocked back Near distance, which is 3 spaces (10 times 3, 30 feet). 

Bian Fu moves back to strike Gu. Bian Fu is Large, and may move Close (5 spaces), which is 50 feet, returning to his position in no time. Movement is usually a simple free action, but the ring has ropes, that serves as an obstacle. In moving, Bian Fu uses up his action.

Gu attacks again, with Physique. [17, 11, 8] +2. He is successful. Damage roll: 1d8 +2 = 5. Bian Fu takes 5 damage.

Bian Fu attacks with Finesse. [10, 2, 1] +3 = 5. He fails.

Gu attacks with Physique. [17, 11, 2] +2 = 13. He succeeds. Damage roll: 1d8 +2 = 10. Bian Fu takes 10 damage. 

Bian Fu is defeated. Gu Long Wang wins.

Min gains 20 gold pieces as per the agreed-upon stakes.
  • edited 2014-06-23 05:47:23
    Actually we should take this moment to discuss what the main purpose of the game is.

Like, what do you want to do? What interesting things do you think you should level up for?

EDIT: Also, feel free to use as many wrestling moves or toku finishers as often as possible.
  • I hope we get to do a lot of SMASHING EVIL because fighting is fun, but I'm interested in how everyone gets out of bad situations without using brute strength too.
  • edited 2014-06-24 09:25:08
    Okay so now that the tutorial is over, I feel like I should outline the flow of combat.

There are two kinds of rolls. Resolving rolls and damage rolls. Resolving rolls are made with 3d20s, and are used to decide if you successfully do something. The successful result for a resolving roll is 11. If a resolving roll is made with an opposition, then both parties roll as usual, then the higher result is taken as the successful roll.

We start by establishing the teams. Typically, this would be the party vs. one group of monsters, but there could also be a third group in the fight.

Then we roll Initiative. The groups pick the person with the best Finesse (or Mind, depending on the situation) to roll. Between the two, the faction to which the character that rolled the higher gets to go first.

Then it is time to determine Turn Order. One side picks the person to go first. And then the other side picks theirs. And so on and so on until everyone has used up their action.
      • Strength in Numbers. The group system can be a little strange if the numbers aren't equal. So the Strength in Numbers makes it make more sense; if you have more characters to field, you naturally get more consecutive turns.
      • Ambush. If you successfully ambush a group, you all get a free turn before the opposing group does.

You may use your action to:
    Attack. Describe how you attack, and I will decide what stat should be rolled (you may suggest the stat). You may also move with the same action.
    • Melee attacks are made up-close. Base damage is 1d8.
    • Ranged attacks can be made without penalty up to 10 spaces, or the length of a building. Any further, and the resolving roll is decreased. Base damage is 1d6, but you may increase that to 1d8, if you were to forego your movement.

Bolster. Creating advantage is a bolster action, such as distracting, throwing a stunning punch, or shouting encouragement. To bolster, describe your action, and I will decide what stat is best (again, suggestions are also welcome). How you bolster may affect the range of who you may bolster. On a successful bolster resolve roll, you gain 1 advantage.

Advantage may be gained before the fight (such as searching for weaknesses, researching, or ambush). Advantage goes away at the end of the round. You may spend your advantage to:
    • Increase the attack’s roll and increase the attack’s damage 3 steps (from 1d8 to 3d6, for example).
    • Defend against an attack, decreasing the attack’s roll and the attacker decreases his damage 3 steps (from 1d8 to 1d2, for example).
    • Increase any 3d20 roll you make that’s related to combat.
    At any time, you may take simple actions, if they make sense. Simple actions include drawing swords, speaking, or other small things that have no impact. Movement is usually a simple action, unless there is an obstacle hindering movement.

When you heal, you heal an amount equal to your Toughness (which is 10, because no-one has taken more Toughness).

The fight ends when an opposing team is all reduced to 0 or lower Health.
  • edited 2014-06-23 16:55:27
    Thank you for explaining that. I was trying to figure out how attack rolls were done for a while, and guess I overlooked the "11 or higher result" thing. When we're about to attack, should we post here before we post in the thread what we plan on doing, suggested stat etc? Like, if I want to do a claw attack I'd say like "Gui will swipe with his claws, rolled a 13, rolled 5 for damage using physique as modifier" or something like that? Also, do you want us to post here that we're going to be taking an action every time, even if it's not combat? 

As for what I want to happen, frankly at the moment I'm not sure. As I've kind of told you before, Kraken, I've got a lot of real life stuff going on right now and while I certainly have the time to participate, I haven't been able to think that far ahead about what I want to do. So right now I'm just kind of winging it. I think I've told you privately the kind of plan I have for my character, but I don't see that happening for some time, and it's cool if it never does or we never really get to it. In the meantime, I'm really just happy to follow along with Gu and do whatever he's up to. 

That said, some of the entities you mention in the "Other" category (such as Fell Knights from other universes and Abstracts) sound pretty cool and it might be fun to meet those dudes. Might also be pretty cool to find like ruined divine cities or some such, with those Kirby God Weapons. 

So I guess I want to see the secret places of your world, and the hidden and forgotten glories. I'll also try to think of more stuff soon. Don't have a lot of homework or work this week, though I do have a test, so I might be able to think up some more stuff.
  • I'm pretty much good with anywhere you take us, Kraken. All I want to do is have one battle in a very expensive-looking place that we can destroy with impunity. 
  • edited 2014-06-23 19:04:52

Thank you for explaining that. I was trying to figure out how attack rolls were done for a while, and guess I overlooked the "11 or higher result" thing. 

It's very similar to Dungeon World, in this way. I also just found it out.

When we're about to attack, should we post here before we post in the thread what we plan on doing, suggested stat etc? Like, if I want to do a claw attack I'd say like "Gui will swipe with his claws, rolled a 13, rolled 5 for damage using physique as modifier" or something like that? Also, do you want us to post here that we're going to be taking an action every time, even if it's not combat? 

You can post here, or the IC thread, and leave it in brackets. I prefer the former (slightly neater), but do as you wish. And yes, that's a good idea; have your rolls ready, to keep things rolling quickly. Try to have your roll given like this - Name the roll, add the three numbers from ascending to descending, and add the modifier.
    Mind Roll
    [20, 16, 2] +2

Melee Attack
    1d8 + 3

Also, I'm including a list of things that when fulfilled will level you up in the first post of the IC thread.

Additionally, you all have some manner of Creative Control, so feel free to make up stuff. Like, introduce characters, places, ideas, etcetera. RP amongst yourselves.
    Okay so obviously this is where I'm supposed to ask what questline you want to pursue.

Option #1 is a pre-written adventure. Very light, the stakes being glory. Lots of different contests to test your abilities, and a big finale contest to cap it off. Some combat, some endurance tests, some detective work, etcetera.

Option #2 will be approached in the manner that I like to call 'Make Shit Up.' But even so, it's bound to be political, so some discretion, sneaking, and deceit is involved. There might also be a moral quandary.

Option #3 is another pre-written adventure, and involves crawling around in caverns, defending a fortress under siege, and helping to end a war. There might also be a moral quandary.
  • edited 2014-06-24 09:33:00
    New character sheet.

It's pretty good for a beginner character, I feel. A little jank with the columns, but all in all pretty good. Physique has also officially been renamed to Brawn.

If you were to re-write your character sheet, please use Mediafire to upload, and not any Google service. At least, not for another four to six days or so.
  • edited 2014-06-24 10:15:46
    1 seems the most preferable for me. I'm still so new to this stuff, it's gonna take a while to wrap my head around the numbers.
  • Yeah, I think one would probably be good since this is a new system and we're still figuring stuff out. Pre-Written adventures are usually good for that kind of thing.
    Everybody make me a Spirit resolving roll to wake up tomorrow morning not horribly hungover.
    9, that's a failure. 

[15, 13, 14], that's a success for me. Gu Long Wang is a good drinker.
  • 3d20, right?
    [13,8,1]+2
    10. That's a failure.
  • I'll just put this down to divine constitution allowing you to out-drink all of us.

Or simply non-beast constitution, if Gui makes the roll.
  • What would be a success? I'm almost imagining they're serving pure alcohol in there. Damn magic taverns.
  • edited 2014-06-25 00:36:25
    1 is Critical Failure.
    2-10 is Normal Failure.
    11-19 is Normal Success.
    20 is Critical Success (unmodified).
  • [5,9,9] + 1

So, failure. And all I "drank" was qi from a ball. Damn bars.
  • That'll teach you to drink from drunks.
  • You know my question?

How in blazes did I get the worst roll out of all of us? Barhopping's listed as Min's main hobby.
    Blame the fickle, fickle dice.
  • edited 2014-06-25 04:39:08
    Okay so let's do this like a race.

Whichever party gets to...say ten successes wins. Each success is another leg in the race. Every leg, I will give you a different obstacle to overcome. We choose one player to resolve it, and if we do, we get a success. 

Alternatively, you may use up your action to nullify the opposition's roll, but you do need to describe, justify, and roll against.

None of you could keep your liquor in, so you all start your first rolls with a decrease.
  • edited 2014-06-25 10:07:29
    Initiative Roll: Who goes first? Mob or you.

Someone roll Mind, if you will.
    Well, Phantom should probably do it, since he has a +2, but you all have to agree on it.
  • Sorry, been busy. Here we go.

[2,11,2] +2