China's One Child Policy

edited 2011-12-23 11:06:05 in Talk
I don't know this whole thing is bugging me. Do they realize that without females they will basically die out?
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    What about MPreg?
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    It officially restricts married, urban couples to having only one child, while allowing exemptions for several cases, including rural couples, ethnic minorities, and parents without any siblings themselves.

That's not really the problem with the policy.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    There ARE several issues however:

Smaller population means smaller work-force. They may not get to enjoy the money from cheap labor they can provide when they simply cannot provide as much of it.

Skewed male to female ratio. Lots of dudes, not so many chicks to pair those dudes up with.

Basically, there's going to be a generation of guys with more work to do then they can possibly get done and no girls around to ease the stress...And they have nuclear capabilities! :D

D: 

Dr. Strangelove

• edited 2011-12-23 16:55:11
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Mein Führer! I can walk!"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Not sure, but I think there are slightly more male babies born than female.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    It's not that so much as it is that they don't want girls.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Supposedly.
  • edited 2011-12-23 17:28:03
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Because females tend to live longer, for one thing.

There are statistics on this, maybe I'll look them up if I'm not lazy.

Wikipedia, which cannot be wrong, claims that the birth ratio is 105 boys to 100 girls.

"
    Do they kill girls or something? "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide#China_2

There have been some accusations that infanticide occurs in the People's Republic of China due to the one-child policy. In the 1990s, a certain stretch of the Yangtze River was known to be a common site of infanticide by drowning, until government projects made access to it more difficult. Others assert that China has twenty-five million fewer girl children than expected, but this can partially be explained by sex selective abortion. The illegal use of ultrasound is widespread in China, and itinerant sonographers with plain vans in parking lots offer inexpensive sonographs to determine the sex of a fetus. Recent studies suggest that over 40 million girls and women are 'missing' in China (Klasen and Wink 2003).
  • The birth ratio of boys to girls is 4:1.  However boys are more likely to be born with mental and/or physical disabilities or even stillborn.  They are also more likely to die before the age of 5.  As sad as that is I remember learning this at uni a few years ago.
  • It's just plane stupid most if not all families are goin to want boys so when that generation dies off so does the country.

That's a bit extreme and unlikely. As it was mentioned, rural areas and some other people with certain circumstances are allowed more than one child. 

This doesn't mean no one in the coming generations are going to reproduce, just their opportunities for it inside the country are going to be greatly reduced unless they move or China takes steps to somehow get more females in the country.

I'm guessing if China drags their feet long enough to realize their population is shrinking far too fast in urban areas, and it's somehow costing them, they'll at least lift the restriction, I'm sure.

• i doubt it. You can't reason with authoritarians they're too sutck up their own asses "for the greater good" or some other populist crap like that.

China cares if it makes money, they'll certainly care if that stops happening.