You eve rnotice

edited 2011-12-23 07:42:11 in Talk
How MMORPGs have really small interfaces? The lettering can often be unreadable for those with perfect 20/20 Vision which makes it worse for those of us without such a luxury. I was reading up on the baords for The Old Republic and noticing this problem. I've noticed a different issue on single player PC games like those by Bethesda. Why does everybody keep demanding smaller fonts? The fonts they have in Fallout III/New Vegas are perfect and making them smaller would make them unreadable.
Tagged:

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    It's possibly a desire to fit as much on the screen as possible. In MMORPG's you often need access to a few dozen spells and abilities right away, so you need lots of icons on the screen, you also need to keep attention to people talking to you, not just quest givers and NPS, but real-world people who might want to chat. Additionally, you need to see what is going on, this is even more important in a MMORPG as you can't just reload if you don't like what happens. 

Missing an enemy that takes you out because your text was blocking it could very will consume a lot of free time, so it'd a delicate balance to be sure. 

I certainly don't envy the person or team that has to design the user interface in such a way that will maximize happiness for players.
  • edited 2011-12-23 23:53:04
    Crap. Just took TOR for a run. It's completely unreadable. I can't even get tghrough character creation. Not to mention the DRM is some of the worst I've ever seen. Just the process of getting to play the game AFTER installation is horrible. so much privacy violation it isn't even funny the ammount of personal information required. You actually have to register at their boards too.