So I'm standing there for like a full minute...

edited 2014-05-07 21:16:30 in General
...wondering why the ATM doesn't seem to be responding to any of my input.

And then I realize:

That's not a touchscreen.

Welp, now I look like an idiot.
Tagged:

Comments

• I have done this.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know how ATMs have those unlabeled "soft keys" down the side that correspond to whatever actions are shown next to them on the screen?

Some UI designer who's probably laughing his ass off decided to put the labels on little rectangles with a bevel effect...making them look as though they were clickable buttons, when in reality they were no such thing because there's no touch input.
  • What bugs me is that the soft keys generally do not align with the buttons.  That drives me loopy.

And in general dealing with ATMs, debit pinpads, etc. gives me software engineer UI rage.  Fuckers can't design for shit.  Worse, the companies don't CARE.
  • ...wondering why the ATM doesn't seem to be responding to any of my input.

And then I realize:

Nah, you just looked a little out of touch.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Morven said:

What bugs me is that the soft keys generally do not align with the buttons.  That drives me loopy.

And in general dealing with ATMs, debit pinpads, etc. gives me software engineer UI rage.  Fuckers can't design for shit.  Worse, the companies don't CARE.
    also: amazingly awful school websites
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I wish I'd gotten a picture of that ATM at a gas station in rural Georgia with an interface entirely in Comic Sans

Talk about just not giving a fuck
  • I've seen those before.  Common among non bank ATMs at convienence stores etc.
    They are, eh? I usually disregard such machines because I don't wanna pay the fees for using another bank's ATM

I know, I know, but I'm cheap like that
    Also, Haven, I approve
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I've never seen a touchscreen ATM. :<
  • kill living beings
    i have the opposite problem: i see ATMs where the physical buttons are unused/unsuable
  • I've never seen a touchscreen ATM. :<

all the Wells Fargo ATMs here are touchscreen-based.
  • edited 2014-05-09 21:13:35
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The walk-up ATMs at my local bank branch not only have touchscreens, but have GIANT 16x9 (actually 9x16, since they're portrait) touchscreens that are easily 15" or larger

'Cause you know, putting my private bank details on a small, discreet screen? Screw that, go big or go home!
  • I wish I'd gotten a picture of that ATM at a gas station in rural Georgia with an interface entirely in Comic Sans

Yeah, it was like that

I love how the image looks just like Office 97 clipart, too
  • ^^ comic sans confirmed for holy
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    sweet bro and hella jeff go to church
  • ...wondering why the ATM doesn't seem to be responding to any of my input.

And then I realize:

well, of course

with this new technology, you have to press these small buttons and somehow the machine knows how to respond and to give you money.  tapping on the glass doesn't get anyone's attention because there's no human working behind it.