___________ to the BS

edited 2014-05-03 19:42:43 in General

Well, in my household growing up, she was kind of a hero of ours. My little brother was at a young aged diagnosed with autism, so—once again, early ‘90s—we found out he had autism and through learning more about autism we learned about Temple Grandin, and we realised that her condition gave her a really unique perspective and strength. I absolutely love her story and the things she’s doing, particularly her hugging machine.

And the whole Temple Grandin, Stevie Wonder, Helen Keller to the bullshit thing in that song, it all comes from a kind of now-classic hip-hop trope. Do you listen to Lil’ Wayne much? Well the trope, I think it comes from “She Will”. You know, he just really subtly drops it—“I’m Ray Charles to the bullshit”. I also kind of got the idea from Treasure MammaL, who has a song called “Stevie Wonder to the Bullshit”. But it just basically means to blind yourself to the haters, to any of the stuff in the world that upsets you. To just refuse to see it.

But the thing that I meant to do in the song was to change the use of these tropes. There’s also that Helen Keller line, and this rapper Aaron Cohen has a Helen Keller to the Bullshit song where you not only don’t see it but you don’t hear it either. But I looked up these figures and try to see the other things. Like, it’s not their handicaps that are helping them survive, it’s their talents. It’s Helen Keller’s ability to connect even though she has these things hampering her, and it’s Stevie Wonder’s talent. And with Temple Grandin it’s “finding a nicer way to kill it”. If you follow the logic through the pop trope then Temple Grandin would be the funniest, where it would just be, refuse to process it, be unable to connect or process anything.  --- Andrew Jackson on "Temple Grandin"

Tagged:

Comments