Roguelikes mishap and stories

edited 2014-04-27 18:34:37 in Roleplay & Games
Oh.. oops, wrong door
Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2014-04-27 19:47:10
    ku klux kobolds

incidentally, i just beat the very basic mode in One Way Heroics today, after barely failing it last night
    i was the first person to register a win in dimension H735EBYQ
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I suck at Roguelikes but I love to cuddle with Byakuren while she plays them. ^_^
  • Miko said:

I suck at Roguelikes but I love to cuddle with Byakuren while she plays them. ^_^

does she like to cuddle with you when you shmup it up?
  • I've gotten a few negative scores in OWH just now.

Started playing the Adventurer class.
    It turns out I can't just run up and kill things anymore.  Who'd have thunk.
  • DungeonCrawl is on the whole much less stupidly unfair than a lot of other roguelikes, but sometimes silly things still happen in it.
  • For some reason, I don't like to save in OWH.  It feels scummy, despite it being a thing built into the game (and even with the game's limits on your ability to save).
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Only when we are doing a co-op game. ^_^
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    -calica said:

Miko said:

I'm scared of making her screw up ^_^;
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    In DCSS I now manage to reach the lair and orc without much problem. I do however always use a dark elf conjurer.
  • edited 2014-05-25 13:40:42
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

(I actually managed to get out)

That unique monster casted Banishment on me D:<

She still walking around along with another unique humanoid spider. I don't know how to get rid of them, Iron bolt doesn't seem to do much
  • edited 2014-05-25 13:51:55
    kill living beings
    i thought that said you were ashkenazi for a second and i was like what
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I like bondage so much that *I* became Ashenkazi!~
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    186578 Pyridrym the Sorcerer (level 17, 0/97 HPs)                             
                 Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on May 24, 2014.                          
                 Was the Champion of Ashenzari.                                         
                 Succumbed to a swamp dragon's poison gas                               
                 ... on Level 4 of the Swamp on May 25, 2014.                           
                 The game lasted 06:01:14 (52029 turns).
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I am afraid of continuing playing this character because it's awesome ;-;

Pyridrym the Geomancer (Gargoyle Earth Elementalist)   Turns: 15525, Time: 01:34:40
    HP  72/72        AC 47     Str 16      XL: 12   Next:  9%                          
    MP  28/28        EV  7     Int 20      God: Ashenzari [***...]                      
    Gold 196         SH 12     Dex 11      Spells:  7 memorised,  8 levels left        

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     y - +5,+6 flail (protect) (curse)                  
    rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     o - +8 chain mail of Restlessness {Dex+1}          
    rNeg   + . .     Conserve .     b - +1 buckler of Kikubaaqudgha's Anger {rElec rC+ S
    rPois  +         rCorr    .     f - +1 helmet (curse)                              
    rElec  +         rRot     +     O - +0 cloak (curse)                                
    SustAb . .       Spirit   .     N - +2 pair of gloves {archer} (curse)              
    rMut   +         Warding  .     V - +0 pair of boots (curse)                        
    Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     z - cursed amulet of resist mutation                
    MR     .....                    R - cursed ring of regeneration                    
                                    c - cursed ring of wizardry                        

@: stone skin, very slightly contaminated, not resistant to hostile enchantments,  
    extremely unstealthy                                                                
    A: life protection 1, electricity resistance, unbreathing, petrification resistance,
    AC +8                                                                              
    a: Renounce Religion  
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I've been running a whole bunch of Draconian Conjurers

And I've been getting run through a gauntlet of Ghosts and Uniques that tend to destroy my characters
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I think my most common picks are Demonspawn Wizards, Gargoyle Earth Elementalist and Octopod Conjurer. Most of them get slaughtered in the Lair.
    I just had the worst death. It was around dungeon level 6-7. I had become a follower of Sif Muna, killed multiple uniques, and was just coming back from the sewers, which had randomly spawned.

Then, I saw a player ghost. It wasn't super high level, so I was just going to pelt it with IMB and destroy it, figuring I could just use a scroll of teleport if things got too hairy.

After I hit it once, it immediately confused me and killed me in 3 hits.

Urgh.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I hate when that happens...

The first time I went in Shoal I ended up getting put to sleep while I was auto exploring, I couldn't do anything about it....
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    ...Did I just didn't found a scroll of identify until D:6 wtf
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    one time while I was playing Nethack I discovered you could break down doors by kickin them so I did that to a bunch of doors, until I found one that wouldn't go down so I kicked it until I died

I don't play Nethack anymore

• Nethack is a stupid game.

Funny, but stupid.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    >Spawn
    >Drink from nearest fountain
    >Transform into a butterfly
    >Die from lost of integrity

okay
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Explored up to D:14 and still can't find Orc
  • Byakuren said:

>Spawn
    >Drink from nearest fountain
    >Transform into a butterfly
    >Die from lost of integrity

okay

what
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    NetHack
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    My favorite artifact name so far: "+3,+3 flail of Capital Punishment (weapon) {elec, +Rage +Fly rPois rN+}"
  • kill living beings
    the amount of memorization in nethack is kinda dumb. but i still play it. and i have also broken my leg by kicking doors.

what's a good other roguelike to do. something free. i've tried adom but it's scary and the readme is a word document? life's too short
    Dungeon crawl stone soup is my go-to recommendation, because it's pretty accessible and isn't super luck dependent. While still being very hard and roguelikey.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    ^
  • the amount of memorization in nethack is kinda dumb. but i still play it. and i have also broken my leg by kicking doors.

what's a good other roguelike to do. something free. i've tried adom but it's scary and the readme is a word document? life's too short

DungeonCrawl StoneSoup has a fair bit less memorization than NetHack, and imo, is more fun.

can I talk about Nuclear Throne here? That's like sort of a roguelike.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Nuclear Throne is a thing I'll probably buy as soon as it exits the whole Early Access public development thing, since I know there's a good chance I'll lose interest in it once I reach my (low) skill ceiling the way I do with most games, and I'd rather do so with a finished game; not to mention that they'll price drop.
  • kill living beings
    well i was considering mentioning ftl and teleglitch, so like, whatever.
    i've gone back to sucking at isaac recently though.  that's fun, even if I don't quite understand how the tears bend
  • Isaac tears shouldn't be bending unless you're whipping your shots.

If that's what you mean, they just move in the direction you're going. So if you're at the bottom of the screen and shoot up while moving left, they'll go up and to the left.
    I'm pretty sure I've held down the button while not moving and the tears still don't all go in the same direction, some of them go off to the left or the right
  • Did you have Spoonbender at the time?

Cuz otherwise I don't think that can happen except from like, residual momentum.

I think Cain's tears also don't fire perfectly straight, but I might be wrong.
    okay, I tried it out and the tears go alternately from Isaac's left and right eye, I think that's what was tripping me up
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I want to try Nuclear Throne at some point, also Risk of Rain and Magicite. Although I kinda want to get them not on Steam.
  • Magicite is good. Nuclear Throne and Risk of Rain are really good. I recommend all three. Make sure RoR can run on your computer though, an update a few months ago gave it a huge lag problem for some reason.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Pyridrym the Convoker (Gargoyle Earth Elementalist)    Turns: 52837, Time: 04:17:57
    HP 110/110       AC 38     Str 18      XL: 18   Next: 15%                          
    MP  37/37        EV 12     Int 25      God: Ashenzari [******]                      
    Gold 1321        SH 27     Dex 15      Spells: 10 memorised,  5 levels left        

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     K - +7,+5 morningstar (protect) (curse)            
    rCold  + + +     Clarity  +     W - +2 mottled dragon armour (curse)                
    rNeg   + + .     Conserve .     k - +2 shield (curse)                              
    rPois  +         rCorr    .     (helmet restricted)                                
    rElec  +         rRot     +     w - +0 cloak (curse)                                
    SustAb + .       Spirit   .     e - +2 pair of gloves of the Exiled Dances {Str+3 De
    rMut   .         Warding  .     u - +2 pair of boots (curse)                        
    Gourm  +         Stasis   .     d - amulet "Koliaf Ismi" {Gourm Contam rPois rC++ rN
    MR     +....                    O - cursed ring "Wielesug" {SustAb Str+2}          
                                    x - cursed ring of the Octopus King {Wiz AC+1 EV+1 S
     r+1                                                                                
    @: flying, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy          
    A: able to fly continuously, large and strong wings, horns 1, agile 1, blink 1,    
    clarity, cold resistance 1, life protection 1, electricity resistance, unbreathing,
    petrification resistance, AC +13                                                    
    a: Stop Flying, Blink, Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion              

Better!
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Decaying rune get!
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    304459 Pyridrym the Earth Mage (level 21, -21/171 HPs)
                 Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on July 19, 2014.
                 Killed from afar by a tengu reaver (56 damage)
                 ... with a bolt of magma
                 ... on Level 5 of the Vaults on July 20, 2014.
                 The game lasted 06:23:48 (74045 turns)

Pyridrym the Earth Mage (GrEE)                     Turns: 74045, Time: 06:23:48

HP -21/171       AC 62     Str 15      XL: 21   Next: 41%
    MP  40/40        EV  3     Int 27      God: Ashenzari [******]
    Gold 2491        SH 23     Dex 11      Spells: 12 memorised,  2 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     K - +7 morningstar (protect) (curse)
    rCold  + + +     Clarity  +     W - melded +2 mottled dragon armour (curse)
    rNeg   + + +     Conserve .     F - +0 shield {AC+3} (curse)
    rPois  +         rCorr    .     (helmet restricted)
    rElec  +         rRot     +     w - +0 cloak (curse)
    SustAb + .       Spirit   .     e - melded +2 pair of gloves of the Exiled Dances {Str+3 Dex+2}
    rMut   .         Warding  .     u - melded +2 pair of boots (curse)
    Gourm  +         Stasis   .     d - cursed amulet "Koliaf Ismi" {Gourm Contam rPois rC++ rN+}
    MR     +....                    E - cursed ring of Satyriasis {SustAb rElec rPois rC++}
                                    x - cursed ring of the Octopus King {Wiz AC+1 EV+1 Str+1 Dex+1 Int+1}

@: statue-form, stone skin, flying, very slow, somewhat resistant to hostile
    enchantments, very stealthy
    A: able to fly continuously, large and strong wings, horns 1, agile 1, blink 1,
    clarity, cold resistance 1, life protection 1, electricity resistance, wild
    magic 1, unbreathing, petrification resistance
    a: Stop Flying, End Transformation, Blink, Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce
    Religion
    }: 1/15 runes: decaying

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Quick question: Why did you do Vaults before Snake/Spider? That place is a deathtrap at the best of times.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I forgot why actually...
  • edited 2014-07-26 22:07:52
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Pyridrym the Convoker (Demonspawn Artificer)                                        Turns: 68326, Time: 07:01:54 
    HP 149/163 (164) AC 26     Str 20       XL: 20   Next: 17%                                                        
    MP  48/48         EV 13     Int 23       God: Ashenzari [******]                                                   
    Gold 2656         SH 30     Dex 19       Spells:  7 memorised,  9 levels left                                      

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     O - +8,+6 quick blade                                                            
    rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     S - +2 faerie dragon armour {Str+5 Int+3}                                        
    rNeg   . . .     Conserve +     G - +3 shield {AC+3} (curse)                                                     
    rPois  +         rCorr    .     H - +1 hat of Masochism {+Rage rElec}                                            
    rElec  +         rRot     .     y - +2 cloak {rPois} (curse)                                                     
    SustAb . .       Spirit   +     q - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3} (curse)                                            
    rMut   .         Warding  .     (boots unavailable)                                                              
    Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     u - cursed amulet of conservation                                                
    MR     ++++.                     b - ring "Pnigafot" {+Rage +Inv rF++ MP+9 Acc-1}                                 
                                    w - cursed ring of the Mage {Wiz MR++ Int+3}                                     

@: incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy                                                 
    A: hooves 3, molten scales 3, cold resistance 1, magic resistance 1, spiny 2, spit poison 1, augmentation 1,     
    magic shield, magic regeneration, magic link                                                                     
    a: Spit Poison, Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage, Evoke Invisibility           
    }: 2/15 runes: decaying, gossamer

Takes a long time leveling now, augmentation 3 would be nice, uncertain of which skill I should train(Summoning, spellcasting atm)

I'm not sure where to go exactly either, I feel like I should change branch soon...
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Omg, my network is so laggy

• BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    How did I spent almost 10 hours on this character?!
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    The realm of Zot is scary
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
     Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14.1-26-g5a19342 (console) character file.

1367892 Pyridrym the Eclecticist (level 26, 127/197 (204) HPs)
                 Began as a Demonspawn Artificer on July 20, 2014.
                 Escaped with the Orb
                 ... and 3 runes on July 29, 2014!

The game lasted 13:01:50 (108027 turns).

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Pyridrym/morgue-Pyridrym-20140729-083734.txt