Outlook or Office 365 or whatever they're calling it this week

edited 2014-04-27 17:18:21 in General
Does, like, every college or university use Microsoft's free email service now?

I have no fewer than three Microsoft email accounts: my personal "Central Avenue" one, the one from my community college, and now my BuckeyeMail

Which isn't a problem except I can't log into more than one at once

Comments

• Does, like, every college or university use Microsoft's free email service now?

seems so
  • edited 2014-04-27 17:29:13
    (flower path)
    I think some of them use Google's.

My math department runs their own servers though.  B)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My sister's high school uses Google mail.

I'm totally jealous; I'll take that over Outlook any day.

Not to mention that Google will let you LOG INTO MORE THAN ONE ACCOUNT AT ONCE jkfjaslk;fjads
  • Just use multiple browsers.
  • Just use multiple browsers.

>college computers

>having browsers that aren't IE8
  • at both colleges i've been to the computers had multiple browsers.  heck, i've even used mac and linux boxes!
  • Some of the like, lab computers have more recent browsers, but I'm talking chiefly about the ones in the library, which are complete garbage.
  • i go to a community college as well

we got (slightly outdated) firefox
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My community college's "open" computer labs had both IE and Firefox

The "instructional" labs (the ones you're only supposed to use during class sessions) only have IE, though. Go figure.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    the computer labs we had in public school had Macs

but suddenly community colleges only have Windows
  • I use both Windows and OS X at school (each in different classes)

The Macs are much better though, solely because the Chrome that's loaded on them lets one properly sign in and use it as intended by Google and not the Wake County Public School System

(it still has the site filters, but still, Windows Chrome walls the garden even further by barring students from using extensions or signing into the app)
    i'm amused by how quickly we derailed from the email providers to school web browsers
  • re: Microsoft e-mail accounts: even though I don't do the college thing I have 2

one came with my Gatremag and the other is tre@outlook.com

I signed up for the second mostly for the privilege of having a proper first name as an e-mail
  • Tre said:

the Wake County Public School System

ah, so glad to be free from their clutches.

I remember once getting around their obnoxious computer lockdown stuff by means of the dialog boxes that you use to open and save files
  • kill living beings
    i tried installing live365 on my phone once to view school email. big mistake
  • i was about to say "isn't there any way you could use something like thunderbird" but then I remember the effort it took to get that working on my UNC account and lol
    Oddly enough, Thunderbird managed to get my school account pretty easily

I can't remember if I had to manually tell it the server was "outlook.office365.com" though
  • I had to use something like pod86753.outlook.com
    Thankfully they switched from "pod271828" or whatever to the more sensible domain name a while back

I think that happened after you left UNC, though
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    My college gave us outlook accounts on a locally hosted server, I believe. But who know what they're doing now.
    *envy*
  • edited 2014-04-28 07:18:13

The NSW Department of Education and Training also uses Gmail for all student and teacher email accounts, plus their Student Portal even gives us full access to a few educational services that otherwise require paid subscriptions, like Lynda.

Almost sounds heavenly compared to what Wake County apparently has to deal with...
  • edited 2014-05-13 08:06:47
    Well, I never used Outlook...

...but Outlook Express keeps on crashing on my computer.  Sometimes I'll receive an e-mail, but every time I click it, it'll just cough up an error.  Maybe I should be happy it's not bluescreening, like a lot of other things are wont to do in Win98...