Walmart

2»

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm given to understand that CRT TVs can run fine at any resolution, and allegedly they're better for gaming because there's less lag

i know absolutely nothing about this, though
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    -calica said:

do they even make vhs players that connect to modern tvs

Most VCRs I've seen have a composite video output, so you could at least use that, if you don't mind the crappy upscaling.

Hell, my parents' HDTV even has a normal coax input, and I'm pretty sure it was made after the analog TV shutoff...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Plain proof that no one does inventory or gives a shit at any Kmart anywhere. Someone could probably live in Kmart and have no one notice.
    That would be the least glamorous adaptation of "Evening Primrose" ever.
  • -calica said:

do they even make vhs players that connect to modern tvs

Most VCRs I've seen have a composite video output, so you could at least use that, if you don't mind the crappy upscaling.

Hell, my parents' HDTV even has a normal coax input, and I'm pretty sure it was made after the analog TV shutoff...
    okay, true.  gmh probably even likes the crappy upscaling out of some weird contrarianism
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I bought a new HDTV for the living room this Christmas, and it had an F connector on it for the tuner. It can even tune analog channels, though I'm pretty sure that's only there so it can see old VCRs with modulators in them. Otherwise, you'd be using the F connector for over-the-air HDTV and plaintext QAM on cable.
  • 1. what is the "crappy upscaling" problem?

2. i don't currently own a VHS player, but i also don't currently own a TV.  however, my parents have a combo DVD/VCR combo, as well as a bunch of VHS tapes.  some could be mine if you count them as such, such as this Voltron vid and my high school video yearbook tapes.  also, our two VCRs from many years back lasted well into the noughties.

3. i didn't know anything about CRTs being better for gaming for lagtime, but i thought they worked specifically for light gun games in contrast with LCDs.

4. i am not a big fan of jimmy neutron; i'm not much familiar with that franchise.

5. i prefer LCD screens over CRT screens because they are less bulky and less energy-intensive.  (in this last respect LED screens are probably best.)

6. my original point was actually "oh, KMart has random interesting old stuff still lying around?  maybe i should check it out to see if there's any hidden treasures among them".

7. yeah, i could get this for cheaper elsewhere.  though, point #6.
  • edited 2014-04-21 09:19:33
    so, no, i'm not contrarian.

i just dislike picking up newer tech when newer tech costs a boatload of money but only offers marginal benefits.

and i like adventures.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    adventures can be fun
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

1. what is the "crappy upscaling" problem?

A modern HDTV has a much higher resolution than a VHS tape, so the picture has to be scaled up to fit the screen, and well, it doesn't always look the nicest.