Do you ever think about how amazing modern computers are?

2»

Comments

• adobe reader plugin's features are hard to use

i much rather just have it download and open with foxit
  • edited 2014-04-13 22:48:06
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    If you want to save a PDF, just right click and save it. That's really not a difficult task.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Chrome and Firefox both have built-in pdf readers now anyway

The former has some proprietary thing; the latter has the aforementioned pdf.js

The latest versions of Opera let you install pdf.js easily too

There's no real need for the Adobe plugin anymore
  • edited 2014-04-13 23:06:29
    A lot of sites that make PDFs don't give you links that you can click to save.  They may have interstitial/redirect pages and then try to throw the PDF into a frame with its own properties or stuff.  Especially if they want to discourage you from saving it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually had to install acroread here to read a PDF that nothing, nothing else here could read. Apparently they changed how forms work in PDF 1.7, and poppler is still trying to catch up.
  • It's my school's "virtual learning" thing. As you may know they're largely produced by one patent troll corporation.

that explains a lot.
    there are some open-source ones that are less shitty, though not quite to non-shitty yet.
    $ yes "I whip my hair back and forth"
  • edited 2014-04-14 10:52:56
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BoyThisStuffMakesMeFeelStupid

How I feel after reading job listings on Dice x.x
  • edited 2014-04-14 11:43:38
    kill living beings

no, adobe reader is not a feature
    it is a bug

something that causes PDF files to be downloaded into individually manipulable files directly rather than being opened in the browser, is a feature

i can kind of go either way. i like easily being able to look up papers i've read before, on my hard drive, but sometimes i don't really need to keep a copy of some powerpoint inexplicably presented as a pdf

A lot of sites that make PDFs don't give you links that you can click to save.  They may have interstitial/redirect pages and then try to throw the PDF into a frame with its own properties or stuff.  Especially if they want to discourage you from saving it.

most in-browser readers have a save button in them, which will handily defeat all this bullshit.
  • My uncle's first computer (well, his employer's) has a whopping 4 kilobytes of magnetic core memory and filled a room.  People really did amazing stuff with weak hardware back in the day.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-04-14 17:38:59
    lee4hmz said:

Bee :What VM software are you using? I use VirtualBox all the time, and it's pretty solid. (And I've had XP Mode crash my machine before, too. :P)

Virtual PC.  It's pretty much the only one our legal team is willing to spring for because it goes through MSDN.

Believe me, I wish I could use Virtualbox.  VPC kinda blows.

Really though, the biggest annoyance is just that IE's debugger is beyond worthless, and it's even worse in pre-10.
  • kill living beings
    imageOK Cool
  • falsefalsefalse
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Indeed.

I love Wikipedia, Wiktionary and the online OED so much. It's like having the whole world at your fingertips.
    Why did I live in this century. 
    Anonus said:

why the fuck is Internet Explorer 6 still so commonplace

BECAUSE IT FLIPPING WORKS WELL AND IT IS USEFUL GOSH-DARN IT!
  • is this some kind of contrarian thing

nobody with any html/css/anything experience whatsoever considers ie6 to work well or be useful

at any rate I think the English-speaking internet's mostly been weaned off ie6 and it's mostly the parts of China still running off pirated XP that uses it
  • edited 2014-04-17 23:33:45
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ There are better browsers, though.

If it's what works the best on your computer then that's fine, but it's odd that it's still commonplace.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aliroz, you do realize that running IE6 is one of the WORST possible things you could be doing when it comes to security, right?
    I love how it's MICROSOFT that's running a site dedicated to getting people off IE6

Even they don't want to be stuck with piece of shit anymore
  • Aliroz, you do realize that running IE6 is one of the WORST possible things you could be doing when it comes to security, right?

it's not like he can really run anything else unfortunately

do not be hard on him, it's kinda rude tbh
  • edited 2014-04-17 23:39:37
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

Aliroz, you do realize that running IE6 is one of the WORST possible things you could be doing when it comes to security, right?

Look, if I could run such a high-end browser as IE6, I would; but as it is, Novus Computador can run up to IE3, which has never crashed since I've used it.

My nextdoor neighbors use IE6 on their computer because it works for them.

it's not like he can really run anything else unfortunately

do not be hard on him, it's kinda rude tbh
    ...Touché.
  • @Aliroz im curious, how does IE3 render HH?
    What's really fascinating is that HH is actually usable on even crappier browsers, particularly Netscape 4.
    (2015 self)

@Aliroz im curious, how does IE3 render HH?

Everything appears to be the same font, and I can't access the "write comment" "save draft" buttons, or anything like the font selector, the insert-link thing, the print thing, the cut thing.  They don't show up.  I've gotten good at learning to do stuff like write

< i m g s r c = " thingIwanttoshow. j p g " >,
    < i > stuff < / i >,
    < b > stuff < b >
    <b r >,

< b l o ck qu o te rel = "whoeverI'mquoting "> quoteyquoteyquotey </ b l ockquote>

Quote button doesn't work, nor the mysterious "flag" button (what even is that for?  TO check something so you can read it later).

Some avatars cannot be displayed.

But hey, the page loads fast, doesn't crash, and most of the time I'm on HH I'm either on my mom's laptop or on a school computer. 
    Oddly, the one old browser I've found unfit for using HH was, of all things, Firefox 2.

Most of you probably won't know what I'm talking about here, but if you have mod powers, a little "Options" button appears when you hover a thread title, and when you click it, it pulls down a little dropdown menu of stuff:

...But Firefox 2 has a rendering issue where the "Options" button is too wide...and it covers the entire post title. So you can't actually click on the link to open a thread, because it's behind the massive "Options" button.

It baaaasically renders the entire forum unusable unless you want to try navigating around for less obvious ways to get to threads.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aliroz said:

@Aliroz im curious, how does IE3 render HH?

Everything appears to be the same font, and I can't access the "write comment" "save draft" buttons, or anything like the font selector, the insert-link thing, the print thing, the cut thing.  They don't show up.  I've gotten good at learning to do stuff like write

< i m g s r c = " thingIwanttoshow. j p g " >,
    < i > stuff < / i >,
    < b > stuff < b >
    <b r >,

< b l o ck qu o te rel = "whoeverI'mquoting "> quoteyquoteyquotey </ b l ockquote>

Quote button doesn't work, nor the mysterious "flag" button (what even is that for?  TO check something so you can read it later).

Some avatars cannot be displayed.

But hey, the page loads fast, doesn't crash, and most of the time I'm on HH I'm either on my mom's laptop or on a school computer. 
    I have gained so much respect for you doggedness reading this post.

Also, the flag button is for posts that break the site rules so that you can inform the mods...
  • jsyk if you want to write about tags in the html you use &lt; and &gt;
  • edited 2014-04-18 06:12:50

...Aliroz, have you considered learning how to use one of the text-based browsers that are actually still being maintained, like Lynx?
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    no.
    (2015 self)

...Aliroz, have you considered learning how to use one of the text-based browsers that are actually still being maintained, like Lynx?

Nope. I didn't know any were still maintained. I'll have to check it out.

• ...Aliroz, have you considered learning how to use one of the text-based browsers that are actually still being maintained, like Lynx?

do those run on windows
    Here's what HH looks like in Lynx under Cygwin64:

• edited 2014-04-18 11:47:32
    (flower path)
    I hope Cygwin64 gets rxvt-unicode soon.  The 32-bit version has some issues.
    Not to point out the obvious, but I kinda doubt Cygwin64 will run on Aliroz's Windows 95 machine.
  • Cygwin32 still exists though.  Dunno if it'll run.  If I had a Windows 95 machine I'd probably run a stripped-down Linux on it anyways.
  • kill living beings
    huh that doesn't look too bad actually
  • I wanna say there's a version of links or elinks that even has Javascript support though I doubt it won't be broken as heck...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    -calica said:

Cygwin32 still exists though.  Dunno if it'll run.  If I had a Windows 95 machine I'd probably run a stripped-down Linux on it anyways.

Cygwin still works on '95, AFAIK. After all, it was originally designed for it.