R.I.P. Windows XP

edited 2014-04-08 16:11:09 in General
25 October 2001 – 8 April 2014

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    when does Vista die
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    11 April 2017, apparently
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    What do you mean these things die?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm talking about Microsoft ending support for them.

But it's funnier to refer to it as a death. :P
  • rip in peaces
  • kill living beings
  • good night, sweet prince
    and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest
    A Windows window displayed on a window display seen through a window
  • taken on a Windows phone, too, from the looks of it
  • And then re-displayed on a Windows computer.

(Sadly, not posted on a Windows computer.)
  • edited 2014-04-09 12:38:13
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It was probably posted on a computer with X Windows, so there's that

(Unless poni posted it from his phone or tablet, lol)
  • edited 2014-04-09 21:51:19
    (flower path)
    actually the computer I posted it from, canopus, runs Windows.  For now, at least.  I might let it take aldebaran's place when it chokes, which unfortunately it's pretty close to doing.
    (2015 self)

I'm talking about Microsoft ending support for them.

But it's funnier to refer to it as a death. :P

What does it mean to end support?
  • edited 2014-04-09 21:46:54
    kill living beings
    Operating systems usually get regular updates. Security stuff, bugfixes. End of support means no longer supplying those updates.

Existing XP systems won't magically shut down or anything. But they'll rapidly bitrot.
  • Microsoft is lucky.  Enterprise software developers often have to support platforms for a good half a decade afterward because their clients don't like upgrading their comically old equipment.  God forbid you live in a small town -- the library near where I used to live still runs Windows 98.
  • Can't wait for school taxes in the area to get raised so every school in the county can buy new laptops.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I still have a computer with Windows 98 on it here, but that's mainly for shits and giggles. I don't do any serious work on it.
  • I should get XP on a non-internet computer and use that as my get-work-done computer.
    (2015 self)
    Bee said:

Microsoft is lucky.  Enterprise software developers often have to support platforms for a good half a decade afterward because their clients don't like upgrading their comically old equipment.  God forbid you live in a small town -- the library near where I used to live still runs Windows 98.

Hey!

Don't insult Novus Computador!  Windows 95 is still good!

Seriously, what would you think of La Computadora, which still works and can run internet?

I should get XP on a non-internet computer and use that as my get-work-done computer.

Why XP specifically?
  • Because I have more experience getting it to do what I want it to do than I do older versions of Windows.
    Do you ever have anything that makes you think "oh god, I'm probably the only person in the world who remembers that?"

In Windows XP RTM and SP1, Home and Pro had different splash screens. The former said "Windows XP Home Edition" and had a green progress bar animation; the latter said "Windows XP Professional" and had a blue progress bar.

For whatever reason, with Service Pack 2, both versions had a generic splash screen that just said "Windows XP" and had a blue progress bar animation.

I always wondered why they changed that, of all things...
  • I would like to change my Win7 startup screen to the Win95 startup screen.
  • There's probably something out there that'll let you do that, but I don't personally think it's worth modifying and potentially breaking your entire boot sector just to change the images that it shows at startup.
  • There's probably something out there that'll let you do that, but I don't personally think it's worth modifying and potentially breaking your entire boot sector just to change the images that it shows at startup.

there is no cause more noble