Malls

edited 2014-04-07 15:55:22 in General
(quoting yarrun in a members-only thread that veered off-topic)
Malls are one of the few common areas in society. Adjusting for
location, you can see someone from any race, culture or social class
there.
Ehh, I'm not sure.  I, for one, rarely go to malls, and I can assume that some poorer people would probably also rarely go to them.  It also probably depends on the kinds of shops that the mall offers -- e.g. high-end retailers vs. discount retailers, as well as any niche stores such as tea stores or sports paraphernalia stores or tabletop gaming stores.

That said, you are probably kinda right about them being one of the few common areas.  The only type of space that I can think of that has similar availability is parks.  But in increasingly suburbanized first-world countries where you get a focus on car transportation between buildings (or technically their parking lots), libraries are usually only open at sane hours of the day (due in part, though not only, to lack of funding), and (as much as it annoys me) the only other good places tend to be places like bars.  Maybe hotel lobbies.  Otherwise, people usually don't talk about meeting outdoors, and most buildings are privately owned.

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Malls are fun sometimes and they have good snacks and lots of stuff to look at, even if I don't buy anything.
  • edited 2014-04-07 16:18:20
    Well, maybe it's just me that it feels like, I rarely enter a mall with the intent of buying anything, at least if I'm going with my parents.  I've been going from geographic location to geographic location so most of my friends are either at school or internet contacts (which includes people I used to go to school with), so there's little reason for me to go to a mall.

I have occasionally gone to a mall to buy something, but it is rare, and in those cases, I generally just bee-line to the shop I want to go to, and then bee-line to the exit.

Maybe I'm just, like, too cheap, or something.  I just don't really feel like buying stuff, and it kinda feels like the entire point of a mall is to get me to spend my money, while at the same time I just don't want to spend any money.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, as I said in the other thread, I used to like going to the mall with my family when I was a kid. I'd rarely buy anything, even if I wanted to. But there was something nice about just getting out of the house and wandering around the American Capitalist SpectacleTM for a while.

Later on I got disillusioned about such things and it stopped being fun.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There was a space of about a year from 2011 to 2012 when I went from seeing retail as fun to seeing it as awful and evil

I think I'm kind of out of that now
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I used to enjoy going to the mall since it was something to do, and because I could play with the merchandise. This was back when Sears and RadioShack still sold computers, and PCs back in the late 1980s/early 1990s hadn't been homogenized into a big puddle of ACPI and Intel Inside.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-04-07 16:47:51
    I heart malls. Anyone who's read Stuck at the Galleria can vouch for this.

(I'm going to visit Lenox Square in Atlanta later this week, too ^_^)
    oh god you're going to Atlanta too

tell me if it's really this amazing place I've imagined it to be
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I find mall interesting in general, but I've largely grown bored with the two nearest me.

Oddly enough, dying malls tend to be the ones I find most interesting, because oftentimes they haven't seen renovations for 10-15 years and they have some pleasantly dated-looking decor. I always love seeing relics of the past when it comes to retail, but they unfortunately tend to be with stores/malls/etc. that aren't doing too well...
    I know it :(
    I will gladly still go to a dead/dying mall.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Probably the coolest (and scariest) mall I've ever been to was the old Salisbury Mall in Maryland, back when most of it was still open but in a lot of disrepair. It's since been torn down, but even when it was still around in 1998 or so, there was only one anchor open, most of the inside stores were closed, and the ceiling was starting to fall in.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Semi-relevant: Some shots I snapped of the now-demolished Columbus City Center a few days before it closed in early 2009.

Of note is that this is, to date, the only place I've been told off by a security guard for taking photos. (And even then, it was clear he didn't really care and only bothered to mention it because he'd been told to.)
    There's a mall not too far from here (Washington Mall) which is now dead except for two anchor stores. They literally sealed the rest of it off. I got a glimpse of it before they did and it looked like a crypt, all dark and dank. Was pretty cool
  • I would love to get into urban exploration stuff.
  • > Well, as I said in the other thread, I used to like going to the mall with my family when I was a kid.

Yeah, same here.
    I never really understood that malls were for buying stuff; as a little kid it was more like, malls were an interesting place where there were lots of people and lots of stuff going on.

And then, later, we moved to a place where the mall was kinda deserted and all we did in the mall was getting new clothes, which I didn't really need that often, but my mom knew how to play the department store membership discounts right.
  • edited 2014-04-07 19:32:03
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm not really a mall person

the shopping centres in Gloucester are not that big and not really special enough to justify the train ticket unless i want something specific

American TV shows make malls seem a lot more exciting than IRL shopping centres i've been to, but i don't know if that means American malls are legitimately more exciting or if that just means the people who write those shows like malls more than i do
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    tbh i'm not really sure what the appeal is even supposed to be?  when i was a kid i liked the novelty stuff, like the Tailor of Gloucester mice, or the wishing fish clock in the Regent Arcade in Cheltenham, but now it's like, i'm older, i've seen those before

and browsing is fun sometimes but i have to be in the right mood... normally the only things that you can buy that really grab my attention are books and different varieties of tea, and i have to be careful about those because i can't usually resist the urge to buy them

but the idea of going to a mall just for the sake of hanging out seems weird
    Like I said, it's a sort of low-grade spectacle. All the displays and whatnot. If you have people to go there with (friends or family) that tends to make it more fun, unless they get caught up in looking at things that don't interest you.

I used to like going into bookstores, at least, although those seem to be a dying breed.
    i haven't seen much evidence of bookshops being a dying breed... the children's bookshop in Stroud closed like a year or two ago, i think, but the main bookshop there is still open.

There are still plenty around here, though that may be because it's a university town.
    I know of at least three around here that've closed up in the past few years.

There's a Barnes & Noble and a used bookstore about ten miles up the road, and that's it as far as I know.
    That's sad.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

I feel like most malls are aimed at pre-college teens and adult women, and don't have much to offer me. I do like music stores and book stores, but those are getting rarer and smaller, especially inside the malls.

What about flea markets (boot sales, whatever)? Those are at least slightly more likely to have interesting wares, and the crowds that shop there are more interesting too.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

tbh i'm not really sure what the appeal is even supposed to be?  when i was a kid i liked the novelty stuff, like the Tailor of Gloucester mice, or the wishing fish clock in the Regent Arcade in Cheltenham, but now it's like, i'm older, i've seen those before

and browsing is fun sometimes but i have to be in the right mood... normally the only things that you can buy that really grab my attention are books and different varieties of tea, and i have to be careful about those because i can't usually resist the urge to buy them

but the idea of going to a mall just for the sake of hanging out seems weird

Oh goodness, you're basically me...

Except that our nearest mall was literally the largest in the world for many years, and unfortunately no longer has a proper bookstore.