Disney owns Marvel

edited 2014-04-07 05:23:12 in General
Yes I know I talk about this all the time but seriously such characters, much exploitation

There's a lot of value there and Disney got it all...

Disney, Disney, Disney

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The fuck are you talking about.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The fuck you talking about.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I guess AU feels Disney isn't doing enough with the Marvel characters? I know Marvel has been bad at marketing in the past, but this time around, at least the movies are good...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Captain America 2 made 35 mil on the first week, I think they're doing fine.
    I'm talking about my envy of Disney
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, you should've bought Marvel when you had the chance
    I wasn't media moguling in 2009
    Fuck you talking about.
  • Fuck you talking about fuck you.
    it's so weird when people respond to barely-coherent threads I made at 3 in the morning
  • fuck you talking about, fuck you talking about fuck you, talking about fuck you.
  • edited 2014-04-07 19:27:14
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    what would you even do with Marvel, that's what i want to know

i figure i'd be like, 'shit, do i have to do anything?  quick, someone who knows what the hell they're doing take this thing off my hands'

but no really, if you owned Marvel, what would you do with it?  could be an interesting question
    Well, I would run around its offices dressed up as Iron Man, I guess

But other than that I don't really know
    or you could be Batman...er, wait...he's a DC
    Yes, he's a DC

I find it amusing how Disney actually bought Marvel on its own volition, but Warner Bros. kind of lucked into DC (Kinney National Company bought DC in 1967 and Warner Bros. in 1969)
  • Washington, MV 20036
    Fuck you talking.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Tachyon said:

what would you even do with Marvel, that's what i want to know

i figure i'd be like, 'shit, do i have to do anything?  quick, someone who knows what the hell they're doing take this thing off my hands'

but no really, if you owned Marvel, what would you do with it?  could be an interesting question

I'd impose huge, sweeping changes to every comic series in a controversial bid to attract new readers. Most likely, I'd wind up being fired by the board of directors within a decade, and Marvel's editor-in-chief would immediately revert all my changes.
  • If I owned Marvel I'd permanently kill off one superhero every month.
    ^^Board of directors?

Is your version of Marvel an independent company again?
  • edited 2014-04-07 23:35:06
    If I owned Marvel I'd ask the writers to make an intensely political* series featuring some classic superheroes as well as maybe some new ones**, and featuring a struggle within at least the main characters of idealism vs. cynicism regarding what one can and can't do about the world

* political would be things like, aiding or breaking up protests, toppling or preventing the toppling of regimes, exposing bad business and governance practices or preventing their exposure, etc., and probably fighting other superheroes in the process (and make sure that the antagonists always have motives other than "being jerks")

** new ones might be needed because i'd demand that there be an equal number of male and female superheroes and i'd furthermore demand that the female ones have similar roles as the male ones as opposed to being cast as sex objects and love interests***

*** and a good idea would be to actually feature NO romance focus at all

also, the tie-in game for this would be a metroidvania game where you recruit more and more superheroes with various abilities that can allow you to access more locations in the map, which is some supervillain's base

Marvel's board of directors, Disney's board of directors, my imaginary company's board of directors, whatever. The point is, I'd try to shake things up and then get blamed for running the Marvel brand into the ground.
  • edited 2014-04-08 00:24:37
    If I owned Marvel, I'd be kicked out within the week. :V

Also some Silver Age goodness here and there.
    y'all focus only on the comic side of things

you're ignoring movies, cartoons, etc.
  • i'd commission an avant-garde Spiderman ballet
    Fuck talking.
    I'd make them do a comics adaptation of Gravity's Rainbow
  • in which spiderman is killed by a man in a duck outfit

this will be his irreversible, cannonical demise.
    but naney

think of the moychandising moychandising moychandising
    Anonus said:

y'all focus only on the comic side of things

you're ignoring movies, cartoons, etc.
    Wait, wait, wait, wait....

Marvel makes movies? Since when?
  • i dont give a fuck about merchandising. im gonna drive the whole thing into the ground as hard and as fast as possible, have fun doing it and sell all my stock options beforehand.
  • actually you're right this whole pretending to be a CEO is fun

im currently imagining driving quite a few franchises into the ground and i must say it's quite an entertaining thing to think about
  • edited 2014-04-08 00:56:01
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^^Since Iron Man

It wouldn't surprise me if the MCU was one of the key factors in their sale to Disney, else they'd be taking a bath on their movies given their huge budgets and thin profit margins (though P&A was being handled by the distributors, they'd be in the same boat as DreamWorks Animation)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Speaking seriously?

Stop trying to constantly make new movies of series that already have good ones. Sam Raimi's first Spiderman film was fine, and the second wasn't really that bad, and they actually kept everyone fairly in character without that whole "catching 'bad guys' justifies injurious collateral damage" narrative that modern superhero flicks like so much (which Spiderman was never about anyway, dumbasses).

Also adapt some more obscure, interesting things that have actual movie potential despite low name recognition, although DC has way more of those that I can think of.
    naney why do you hate popular things so much
    Anonus said:

but naney

think of the moychandising moychandising moychandising
    Fuck merchandising so much.

Unless there's actual fun and artistry in the merch in question, I don't want to think or be associated with it. Cheap garbage may sell, but I don't want to sell it.
  • i want to make a last die hard movie

it has no dialogue and is set to Morton Feldman's 2nd string quartet
    Fuck.
  • Anonus said:

naney why do you hate popular things so much

because they are emblematic of a world that bores and frustrates me to tears.
  • plus they're crap a lot of the time

i want to make a last die hard movie

it has no dialogue and is set to Morton Feldman's 2nd string quartet
    I would love to set an art movie to one of Feldman's long pieces. Maybe something with a lot of reeeeeeally long takes and oddball sound design. Although a silent but visually intense action movie would be pretty cool, too.
  • i will sell action figures

they will all be perfectly square lumps of wax, painted with the colours associated with the hero, in a small corrugated cardboard box with the name of the hero written upon them in sharpie.

i will sell action figures

they will all be perfectly square lumps of wax, painted with the colours associated with the hero, in a small corrugated cardboard box with the name of the hero written upon them in sharpie.
    That is the most Hirst-tacular move possible.

Other than, you know, doing that dead-shark-in-a-tank thing, but putting the shark in a Wolverine costume.
    I think I would enjoy Naney's version of the Marvel Universe
    I might, too.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Also adapt some more obscure, interesting things that have actual movie potential despite low name recognition, although DC has way more of those that I can think of.
    Plastic Man would make for a pretty good movie. It's still a shame the cartoon pilot starring him never got off the ground. It was pretty cool.
    Avant garde Marvel

not sure what to make of this

Plastic Man would make for a pretty good movie. It's still a shame the cartoon pilot starring him never got off the ground. It was pretty cool.
    inorite