That backing paper that stickers come on

edited 2014-04-04 19:09:07 in General
Every time I'm printing shipping labels or something I can't help but think about this.

Isn't it, you know, incredibly wasteful?

Like, for every label you peel off and stick somewhere, there's an equal area of that backing paper that just gets thrown away. Actually, a little bit larger area, since they tend to have a small margin to make it easier to peel.

What REALLY bugs me is that I can't think of a sensible alternative. :\

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It may be wasteful but it's great paper
  • edited 2014-04-04 19:16:05

they could make it double sided perhaps, halve the amount of backing paper needed
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Double-sided sticker paper would be very helpful.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Having it double-sided would preclude having it on a roll, I think.

But instead you could use a stack of sheets...print one side, peel off your label, then stick it into a slot on the printer so it can print the back. Maybe?
  • I use the backing paper as scratch paper / notepad.  If I can.  But yeah, it's hard.  So it's usually a waste.  At least I try to seek out a recycle bin.

(Also, I'm slightly amused that HH is now basically IJBM.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I use the backing paper as scratch paper / notepad.  If I can.  But yeah, it's hard.  So it's usually a waste.  At least I try to seek out a recycle bin.

I occasionally use the backing paper as a scratchpad, but when you're standing there printing labels for 10 or 20 packages (as I often do), well...you get a lot more of it than you could practically use for anything.

I don't think there actually are any recycling bins in the warehouse...

(Also, I'm slightly amused that HH is now basically IJBM.)

I think that's just me, actually. :P
    Also, while I'm on the subject, one thing that's incredibly annoying:

The UPS and FedEx systems at work both use the exact same model of thermal printer...but the rolls of paper aren't interchangeable, because the software prints labels at different dimensions!

I can't help but think this was intentional. >:(
  • probably

UPS and FedEx are competitors, after all
    It's not that big a deal to me, since I'm not the one who has to buy the paper, but it's a bit annoying when one runs out because I have to make sure I grab the right roll to refill it.