What would happen if MLP:FIM moved to Nickelodeon?

edited 2014-04-03 05:38:52 in General
Because I wanted to make another stupid thread about bullshit

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Naney would still hate it
  • edited 2014-04-03 14:19:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Since when does Naney hate MLP:FIM?  i thought he was indifferent towards it

the title sounds like an interesting question but i know too little about American cable networks to answer it

as far as i'd be concerned it wouldn't mean much, providing it was the same show

obviously a lot of bronies would then watch Nickelodeon, so i guess it would be very bad news for the Hub
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    This is actually related to ABC Inc; very, very late in its life, I contemplated buying Nickelodeon from Viacom and moving all of The Hub's first-run shows over there
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    *Shrug*

Some bronies would hail it as the end of everything, but they do that just about every time a new episode description comes out. I doubt there'd be much of a change except for some new bumps where ponies interact with Nick characters.

I doubt there'd be a noticeable change to the show. It's sort of working pretty well this season, so I don't know why there'd be cause to meddle with it.
    Speaking of bumps, I'd wanted to make MLP:FIM bumpers in the style of these, but don't have access to half the typefaces involved (e.g. Champion Gothic, Vonness) and don't know what sounds would be best to use in them (relevant bumps start at 0:10):

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Tachyon said:

Since when does Naney hate MLP:FIM?  i thought he was indifferent towards it

I dunno, he seemed kinda hostile

Maybe I should ask him

Maybe not
    I'll be honest: I'd have figured MLP fans would have been at least a little pleased that their show was on a "real" network
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Honestly, if i want to watch something, i care whether it's on a channel i have access to, but besides that, i absolutely couldn't care less what channel it's on

the show's the thing
    I know that, but I'm a brand person
    Are most bronies brand people?  i never really thought about that.
    I don't think so (notice how they give no shits about most of Hub Network's other shows), but it always felt a bit weird to me watching a show on a channel whose ads were mostly for as-seen-on-TV products. Some of which became memes (remember Gyro Bowl?)
    i do remember Gyro Bowl.

idk though, the goofy ads were part of the fun of the MLP fad, maybe.  i don't think it was seen to adversely affect the show, given how successful the show became in spite of being inherently shackled to a somewhat embarrassing past and a line of plastic toys aggressively marketed towards little girls.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I was about to ask what Gyro Bowl was, then I googled it and I said "Hey, didn't MikeJ review this?"
  • I would think that for you to get same-network diffusion from a single show that's a massive hit, you'd generally need for that show to have enough pent-up demand for it to spill over to the network's other shows, especially whatever comes next.
    I credit the MLP:FIM fandom for Dan Vs. being as popular as it is (not very, but still), but that's about it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Anonus said:

I'll be honest: I'd have figured MLP fans would have been at least a little pleased that their show was on a "real" network

That might turn out to be the general consensus from those that care, actually. 

As mentioned, some would hail it at the end, but lots of people did this when Disney purchased Marvel and Star Wars. So, just general knee-jerk reaction from certain people. Definitely not a behavior that's localized to any particular group.
    Anonus said:

I don't think so (notice how they give no shits about most of Hub Network's other shows), but it always felt a bit weird to me watching a show on a channel whose ads were mostly for as-seen-on-TV products. Some of which became memes (remember Gyro Bowl?)

Heh. I remember Gyro Bowl. There's a few humorous  pictures there. For some reason I remembered "rape dollars" a few days ago and made me chuckle, but there's almost no pictures of that meme.

Some of my readers apparently watch Hub shows besides the obvious one, but probably not the majority.

Anonus said:

I credit the MLP:FIM fandom for Dan Vs. being as popular as it is (not very, but still), but that's about it.

Pretty much, yeah. There are Dan Vs. fans who aren't bronies and a few who dislike the bronies (though, this is more knee-jerk, 'Get your ponies out of my franchise! You're not welcome here!), but a large amount of fans only know or care about Dan Vs. from MLP and probably some of the cross-promotion on the Hub. 

Dan himself still routinely shows up in MLP art. Also MixerMike occasionally still does Dan Vs. FIM stuff and Dan still cameos in plenty of Fluffle Puff  vids.