Random Dumb Questions

LWLW
edited 2014-03-31 23:16:41 in General
Does it ever bother anyone when people pronounce the "pieces" part of "Reese's pieces" in a way that rhymes with "feces?"
Why would someone want to use a term like Brony, Trekkie, or whatever to describe him or herself?
What is the point of word "selfie" and why would someone be really big on taking pictures of him/herself?

Comments

• LW said:

Does it ever bother anyone when people pronounce the "pieces" part of "Reese's pieces" in a way that rhymes with "feces?"

i have never heard anyone do this
    LW said:

Why would someone want to use a term like Brony, Trekkie, or whatever to describe him or herself?

if as an important or introductory descriptor, because they spend too much time defining themselves through their hobbies. if used when their hobby in question is brought up, because they want other people to know that they like said thing.
    LW said:

What is the point of word "selfie" and why would someone be really big on taking pictures of him/herself?

the point of the word selfie is to point out that this picture of you was taken by yourself and people are big on it because their friends are.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    ...How else would you pronounce pieces? Pye-sizz?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    pee-sizz
  • kill living beings
    pai sees

fee sees

ex

crete

meant
  • Ah, I totally messed up that first question. I think it was supposed to be "Does it ever bother anyone when people pronounce the 'Reese's' part of 'Reese's pieces' in a way that rhymes with "feces?"
    Is being really big on eating meat a guy thing?
    Why does stuff like freshman hazing exist?
    Do people sometimes encourage others to go to social events when they do not really care whether those other people are there or not? If so, what would their motivation be?

Yon Assassin,
    if as an important or introductory descriptor, because they spend too much time defining themselves through their hobbies. if used when their hobby in question is brought up, because they want other people to know that they like said thing.
    Some people like to use labels like that to describe themselves though, right? On a related note, why do people mention certain things like political and philosophical beliefs in defining or introducing themselves?

the point of the word selfie is to point out that this picture of you was taken by yourself and people are big on it because their friends are.
    Why do you think people's friends are big on it (if you do not mind me asking that)? Is it related to self-expression?
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-04-04 01:23:19
    I used to say "ree-sees" when referring to Reese's peanut butter cups, but I changed my pronunciation to "re-sizz" after I visited Hersheypark in 2009 or so

Now the former does, indeed, sound strange (especially from me since I don't have an accent beyond vaguely American), although it's a valid pronunciation in the South and that bugs me out